Sign in to follow this  
Kim Briscoe

Best Derby Day memories

Ahead of Sunday''s clash with Ipswich we''re looking back at some of our favourite Norwich Derby Day moments.

We''d love to hear from some fans about their favourite moments too.

You can either post back here or email me at kim.briscoe@archant.co.uk

Kind regards,

Kim.

hmmm... theres one that stands out.. bet no one can guess what it is.. some chap named McKenzie was involved....

jas :)

For me two satnd out by a mile:

1. Martin Oneils freekick wonder goal to give us a 3-2 win at Ipswich

2. Steve Bruce header to beat them and send us to Wembey

Nothing else comes close......

For me, the first derby I was lucky enough to actually snap up tickets for was last December when we beat them 2-0 in one of the few bright spots of Roeder''s managerial tenure.And boy was I lucky to get a seat in the first place. Meeting my friend the night before (his family have a season ticket), his brother couldn''t go due to another commitment and he invited me to take his seat instead.With kickoff coming just after one o''clock, I would have just enough time to get from work to the ground via taxi and take his brother''s seat. All morning at work I was fretting, Constantly asking customers about the traffic flow and debating whether I should taxi it or just walk it. I didn''t want to miss the game! After my shift ended I waited outside for what seemed like an eternity. The taxi man finally arrived and on the way to the ground the traffic thankfully had died down. Listening on Radio Norfolk, all the pre-match festivities were taking place and this bought me even more time. Then, disaster! We hit traffic. So close eh? Then to my delight, the taxi driver turned around, went through a back road and we headed towards Carrow Road unhampered! I arrived at the ground literally as they kicked off and once I''d got in to my seat only 1 minute had passed. Brilliant. I was cold, hungover from the previous night and seriously hungry having skipped my breakfast before work that morning (I nearly slept in by mistake!) but it was worth it, because I''ve never been a part of an atmosphere like it at a football ground before. Every kick, every player movement mattered. The game had everything a football fan could possibly ask for.

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[/quote]yes that was awesome[Y] remember it well

He scored against the scum, he scored another one Mckenzie oooohhhhhTop of the league, at Portman Road.    Doesn''t get any better then that.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[/quote]yes that was awesome[Y] remember it well[/quote]Easily the best Derby moment I can remember. Trailing from the first leg we were level on aggregate with about 4 mins to go and up pops Bruce.  Shade under 30,000 in Carrow Rd. that night the atmosphere has never been touched since and Bruce won an elastoplast flesh coloured Fiat Strada for scoring that goal, my how the game has changed.

1) The aforementioned Bruce header in the Milk Cup semi, and the resulting pitch invasion started by a vicar in full dog collar from theRiver End!!  Did anybody get the record that Radio Broadland released after the milk cup win??  It contained Roy Wallers commentary from the semi final, and I believe it was Keith Bertschin who was co-commentating and he literally talked up the winning goal.  It was clairvoyance of the highest order!!

2) Jamie''s green haired equalizer at Portman Road

3) Iwan''s double.

4) Bellars winner at Portman Rd.

5) John Wark''s sending off at Carra Rd for sything down Eadie.

6) Ipswich''s penalty that got over ruled at Carra Rd.  Will never forget Burley''s "He gave it" rant in the following interviews.  Comedy gold.

Everybody remembers Steve Bruce''s winner in the Milk Cup semi-final but I have many other wonderful memories. I particularly remember Martin O''Neill''s free kick in the dying seconds to give City a 3-2 win at Portman Road on Boxing Day 1982-83, and a Justin Fashanu header to give City a deserved draw in the League Cup there in September 1980 after Steve Goble had turned the Town defence inside out time and again.

[quote user="No Quarter"]

1) The aforementioned Bruce header in the Milk Cup semi, and the resulting pitch invasion started by a vicar in full dog collar from theRiver End!!  Did anybody get the record that Radio Broadland released after the milk cup win??  It contained Roy Wallers commentary from the semi final, and I believe it was Keith Bertschin who was co-commentating and he literally talked up the winning goal.  It was clairvoyance of the highest order!!

2) Jamie''s green haired equalizer at Portman Road

3) Iwan''s double.

4) Bellars winner at Portman Rd.

5) John Wark''s sending off at Carra Rd for sything down Eadie.

6) Ipswich''s penalty that got over ruled at Carra Rd.  Will never forget Burley''s "He gave it" rant in the following interviews.  Comedy gold.

[/quote]

I remember that record and yes, I bought it. Thought it was Duncan Forbes co-commentating.

My favourite memories:

1. Steve Bruce''s semi final winner.

2. Top of the league at Portman Road.

3. The overturned penalty.

Alan Lee scoring the winner on Sunday will surely join this list by Monday!!!

One of 2 for me.The ''home leg'' of the derby of the season we went up- The look on Malkys face after he scored, the chants of ''give it to malky'' whenever we had a free kick anywhere near the Ipswich goal and Hucks celebration after the OG he forced.... i think it was the first derby victory I witnessed so was extra special for me [:)]The second one was the win this season- purely because of Mr. Croft. That strike, that look of delight on Croftys face, the relief felt around the ground because we''d finally scored the goal our domination deserved- and of course that picture of Crofty sticking up his fingers behind his back.... great times I am full of confidence that we will win this sunday [Y]

We''re hoping to use fans'' best moments as part of our Derby Day pre-coverage in Saturday''s Evening News and then in the Pink ''Un too.

Part of the excitment of a Derby Day is all the banter in the run-up to the match itself - have you guys seen what the Ipswich fans have been doing? They''re planning a relegation party in Norwich if we go down to Division One. Grrrrr!

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=enonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED15%20Apr%202009%2013%3A50%3A48%3A880

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[/quote]

Spot on.

has to be

1 bruce header 87 minutes semi final - highlight of my footballing life full stop

2 bertschin , FAC 5th Round 1983 , 28,000 inside Carrow road place was heaving and Alan Brazil missed an open goal with about five minutes left

[quote user="gary "]

has to be

1 bruce header 87 minutes semi final - highlight of my footballing life full stop

2 bertschin , FAC 5th Round 1983 , 28,000 inside Carrow road place was heaving and Alan Brazil missed an open goal with about five minutes left

[/quote]what a complete      what a TW4T this bloke is....i dont hate anyone...but this bloke i will make an exception...in a way im glad its not on tv or we would have to listen to this man ramble on i just want to punch him[:@]

[quote user="Kim Briscoe"]

We''re hoping to use fans'' best moments as part of our Derby Day pre-coverage in Saturday''s Evening News and then in the Pink ''Un too.

Part of the excitment of a Derby Day is all the banter in the run-up to the match itself - have you guys seen what the Ipswich fans have been doing? They''re planning a relegation party in Norwich if we go down to Division One. Grrrrr!

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=enonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED15%20Apr%202009%2013%3A50%3A48%3A880

[/quote]

what venue are the binners thinking of holding the party at ?might pop along for a pint with a few others

for me it has to be the milk cup semi final . i dont think ive ever been so ecstatic after a game . when bruce powered that header in it was almost an out of body experience ! all your xmas''s and birthdays rolled into one . the thing that sticks in my mind was travelling back to stowmarket on the A140 , and stopping off at a pub only to find it full of ipswich fans really down in the dumps . we had already zipped up our jackets ( just in case ) but part of me wanted to jump up and shout " yes , where off to wembley! " but of course i didn''t . what an evening !

My favourite memory of derby day was the last one. We beat them 2-0, it was my birthday and i won Sammy Clingan''s shirt on the golden goal lucky number!!

[quote user="No Quarter"]

1)Did anybody get the record that Radio Broadland released after the milk cup win??  It contained Roy Wallers commentary from the semi final, and I believe it was Keith Bertschin who was co-commentating and he literally talked up the winning goal.[/quote]

Roy Waller never commentated for Radio Broadland, it would have been the late Jullian Smith (with Duncan Forbers as previously mentioned).

[quote user="Kim Briscoe"]

[/quote]

Same old story - they hate Norwich so much that they plan to hold the party in the city!  Having been out in Ipswich a few times I can completely understand, but it does amuse me how shallow their hatred actually runs...

Any of the hospital cup games. Pre-season anything-but-friendlies. Whoever dreamt of them? It''s up there on a par with the old Home Nations tournament as one of the things we''ll never see again. Had some cracking times running around behind the Barclay and also in that pokey park near the back of the North Stand.

And the Drum and Monkey. Why did that pub dream of opening on derby day? Super atmosphere, always full of city and just crying out to be attacked by the scum. Who used to be only too happy to oblige. Cue pandemonium.

I can also recall wandering into the toilets at their ground once for a pee at half-time and there being no windows in the back of the stand. Quite surreal looking out with an unguarded 20 foot drop but someone had obviously taken a dislike to the place!

Some of the football has been good too.    

For some reason i was being dragged round shops in the city by my then girlfriend when we beat them 2-0 to go top of the league, my brother text to say mckenzie had just scored a second. I went a bit nuts shouting yes and jumping up and down, we were in Next i must have looked like a mad man!

Bizarrely i quite enjoyed the 5-0 drubbing we got there a few years back. Don''t get me wrong, the football was shocking, but i never realised how truly awful their fans are until that day. ''5-0, and you still won''t sing!''

My first away derby was the 1-0 with Bellamy scoring. I was only a kid but got punched by some fat middle aged Binner, hit by countless coins on the walk to and from the station, and fell over quite painfully when i went absolutely mad for the goal. Brilliant night. They''re just not quite the same without the 7.45 evening kick off, i find.

The overturned penalty is a wonderful memory.

1972 first year in the top flight first away game  that season won 2-1jimmy bone and terry anderson  just started work my foreman was a scummer he hated me from that day till i left.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]Everybody remembers Steve Bruce''s winner in the Milk Cup semi-final but I have many other wonderful memories. I particularly remember Martin O''Neill''s free kick in the dying seconds to give City a 3-2 win at Portman Road on Boxing Day 1982-83, and a Justin Fashanu header to give City a deserved draw in the League Cup there in September 1980 after Steve Goble had turned the Town defence inside out time and again.
[/quote]

I thought it was Donowa who scored the last minute equaliser in the cup game because I''m sure I remember him jumping up on the fence in front of us to celebrate, never forget that night as I came really close to getting a kicking before being rescued by the cops. Sadly though we lost the replay 3-1 at cr if I remember rightly.

Jumping up on the fence sounds right - the goal was scored right in front of the City supporters and was one of the few high spots in a miserable season. It was certainly Justin Fashanu - Donowa didn''t make his debut till three years later.