Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Should we get a new manager for next season regardless?

We need continuity and a period of stability for sure but is Gunn the right man?I am not convinced. Nobody knows if Gunn is going to turn out to be a good manager or a poor manager. I am also concerned that if he is retained that in many fans eyes he can do no wrong and that supporters will not be able to judge him objectively as they will always view him with rose tinted,  nostalgic spectacles. If  he does crap people will tolerate this because it is "Gunny" and the club will sink further.My fear is that he may turn out to be a poor manager and that he  will remain in his post for far, far too long before he is eventually reluctantly removed by our hapless board by this time though we could be fighting to stay in league 1.Given that we definately do need a period of stability with our management team would it not be much more sensible and less of gamble to go for a more experienced manager who  has some track record of success rather than adopting a "suck it and see" approach with Bryan Gunn and his inexperienced crew who may turn out to be no good and need removing thus ending the period of stability ?

Yes we should Duke, Gunn is not the answer, but alas, our stupid board will still stick with him, unless he has the honour to fall on his own sword!

Why not as I have said before, in the asylum the biggest idiot is bound to be king.

He bleeds yellow and green he is Norwich through and through, he keeps the fans happy and at bay, so he must be the best for the job mustn''t he?[:''(]

Brian will get the job next season end of.

This is not to say I think he is the best man for the job but I do think he is the best man available for the club at the moment.

We do not have the money to back a big name manager and I for one would rather we did not take the risk of an expensive import when there is no evidence to suggest they could do a better job at NCFC than Gunn next season.

The players are behind him and his team so think given time he can turn things around.

*braces self for impact*

[quote user="helsein"]I think Bryan Gunn should get the job next season!![/quote]If we do give the job to Gunn it should only be for a season. Review it at the end of next season when we will have had a whole season to assess his ability.

The only way I would have Gunny as manager is if he had a top coaching team. He could then concentrate on man management and media.

That won''t happen I assume because he selected the coaches!

My humble opinion is that Crooky and Butters are not good enough. For those who think Crooky has brought his family over here, i don''t think that''s true so there is no obligation to continue his contract.

Gunny gets on well with Dublin ....... could that possibly happen?

Whatever league we find ourselves in next season, I hope Gunny carries out an honest self- assessment of his performance and does the correct thing for the club and not for himself. Something i fear he did when taking the job.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]We need continuity and a period of stability for sure but is Gunn the right man?I am not convinced. Nobody knows if Gunn is going to turn out to be a good manager or a poor manager. I am also concerned that if he is retained that in many fans eyes he can do no wrong and that supporters will not be able to judge him objectively as they will always view him with rose tinted,  nostalgic spectacles. If  he does crap people will tolerate this because it is "Gunny" and the club will sink further.My fear is that he may turn out to be a poor manager and that he  will remain in his post for far, far too long before he is eventually reluctantly removed by our hapless board by this time though we could be fighting to stay in league 1.Given that we definately do need a period of stability with our management team would it not be much more sensible and less of gamble to go for a more experienced manager who  has some track record of success rather than adopting a "suck it and see" approach with Bryan Gunn and his inexperienced crew who may turn out to be no good and need removing thus ending the period of stability ?[/quote]The average number of points we''ve gained since Gunn''s appointment would see us middle of the table if he started at the beginning of the season.I believe Gunn and most importantly Butterworth, Crook and Deehan are good additions. I believe the reasons behind the appointment was after the fallout of Roeder''s reign the club felt they needed someone who understood the area, supporters and the history. I also believe Gunn will be Manager next season, whatever division we are in and if results and performances are not good he will step down. But he will step down with dignity knowing the backroom staff he brought in is in comparison to our most successful times at a club, when we promoted from within. Butterworth is the next likely Manager, but I hope Gunn will have a successful few seasons beforehand.

^ Exactly mate, Gunny has greatly improved the side since taking over and i feel him and his team have the eye for players that will help us out next season whatever division we''re in.

We''re picking up points more regularly under Gunn, unfortunatly the first half of the season did the damage, Gunny is doing his best to limit that and so far, bar one or two displays of in-expierience that will be worked out in time.

We need a manager , Gunn is not that , two more games and we must say goodbye to him and appoint somebody with the credentials to get us out of league 1 .Being Mr nice is not enough .

[quote user="Lambo"]

^ Exactly mate, Gunny has greatly improved the side since taking over and i feel him and his team have the eye for players that will help us out next season whatever division we''re in.

We''re picking up points more regularly under Gunn, unfortunatly the first half of the season did the damage, Gunny is doing his best to limit that and so far, bar one or two displays of in-expierience that will be worked out in time.

[/quote] Rubbish we were not in the bottom 3 in January , Gunn has failed just as badly as Grant and Roeder.

By the way ''experienced Managers'' are no guarantee of success, messiahs one season fools the next..Wenger''s first senior job was at Nancy

which he joined in 1984, but he enjoyed little success there, during

his third and final season in charge, Nancy finished 19th and were

relegated to the second tier of French footballMourinho was an interpretor his first Managerial appointment in 2002, winning the Champions League in 2004 !Neither had extensive careers as players or managers before success fell on them. There are always exceptions but in general appointing managers, especially at Championship level is a case of wait n see. Even then how many last once fans get disgruntled. One bad season is all it takes to get rid of a manager even after years of relative success, look at Chalton...

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]We need continuity and a period of stability for sure but is Gunn the right man?[/quote]No.  His record is poor and he has a debilitating health condition which will not help him either.Butterworth will get the job with Crook as coach.  Gunny will go back to the yorkshire puddings and roast tatties.

There is absolutely no way that we should keep Gunn he is an emergency stop gap only. He has utterly no managerial experience and although I believe he has done his very best since taking charge he has been outwitted by too many managerial opponents too often and not noticed it until too late or at all. His reputation here will never be tarnished but we are too big a club to have such small fry management.

If he left Norwich on May 4th would any other football league club offer him a job as manager - no. Only at Norwich City!

Nope, he''s rubbish. Has no tactical acumen and doesn''t inspire much confidence. One sole substitution when losing against the filth and that was only because Croft was forced off injured.

It would be brilliant to get a new, young and hungry manager in to have the entire close season to assess the squad, check the finances and make a few bids.

I think Gunn will get his new contract though for the same points made by others.

[quote user="Next door to Boyer"][quote user="the duke of norfolk"]We need continuity and a period of stability for sure but is Gunn the right man?

I am not convinced. Nobody knows if Gunn is going to turn out to be a good manager or a poor manager.

I am also concerned that if he is retained that in many fans eyes he can do no wrong and that supporters will not be able to judge him objectively as they will always view him with rose tinted,  nostalgic spectacles. If  he does crap people will tolerate this because it is "Gunny" and the club will sink further.

My fear is that he may turn out to be a poor manager and that he  will remain in his post for far, far too long before he is eventually reluctantly removed by our hapless board by this time though we could be fighting to stay in league 1.

Given that we definately do need a period of stability with our management team would it not be much more sensible and less of gamble to go for a more experienced manager who  has some track record of success rather than adopting a "suck it and see" approach with Bryan Gunn and his inexperienced crew who may turn out to be no good and need removing thus ending the period of stability ?
[/quote]

The average number of points we''ve gained since Gunn''s appointment would see us middle of the table if he started at the beginning of the season.

I believe Gunn and most importantly Butterworth, Crook and Deehan are good additions. I believe the reasons behind the appointment was after the fallout of Roeder''s reign the club felt they needed someone who understood the area, supporters and the history. I also believe Gunn will be Manager next season, whatever division we are in and if results and performances are not good he will step down. But he will step down with dignity knowing the backroom staff he brought in is in comparison to our most successful times at a club, when we promoted from within. Butterworth is the next likely Manager, but I hope Gunn will have a successful few seasons beforehand.
[/quote]

We''ve only picked up more points because the fear of relegation has become more and more of a reality. Look at Forest, Saints, Barnsley and even Charlton ... all have been picking up more points recently that''s what happens late in the season. We need a wily, knowledgable, battlehardened expert not an inexperienced keeper from yesteryear who has all heart but little else.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Lambo"]

[/quote] Rubbish we were not in the bottom 3 in January , Gunn has failed just as badly as Grant and Roeder.
[/quote]

How is it rubbish? it''s a cold hard FACT that Gunn has a better points to game ration than Roeder that shows if we''d have had him all season we''d be comfortably mid-table.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Lambo"]

[/quote] Rubbish we were not in the bottom 3 in January , Gunn has failed just as badly as Grant and Roeder.[/quote]Gunn''s reign has brought in 20 points in 17 matches an average of 1.2 per match. Times it by 44 games then we''d have 53 (52.8) points, which puts us in 15th above Coventry as we''d have a better goal difference.Admittedly not quite middle of the table but I was initially going by a stat I read a couple of weeks ago. I decided to redo the maths after you rubbished it. However, it still demostrates that Gunn is performing better than Roeder and not as bad as some are making out.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"][quote user="helsein"]I think Bryan Gunn should get the job next season!![/quote]If we do give the job to Gunn it should only be for a season. Review it at the end of next season when we will have had a whole season to assess his ability.[/quote]i agree with thatwhy give a manager a 4 year deal?give him a 1 year rolling contract, if he does well, keep him on.simple really

If I remember rightly though half this board moaned that Worthy got a years payoff when he was eventually sacked.Onto the debate in hand, I think we need an experienced manager but believe Gun will get it as he is the cheap option.  If we do go down I''d like us to look at somebody with a proven track record of promotions/playoff finishes in league 1, so at least we have somebody who knows what it takes to get out of it.  Give him a one year fixed contract (unlikely I know) that way we are not massively tied and see what he can do.  Unfortunately I have to keep referring to League 1 managers as ''him'' and ''he'' as my knowledge on that league is limited at best.  Looks like I''ll be having at least a year to get better though! : /

[quote user="Lambo"]

Your going by http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1639821/ShowPost.aspx that as i was right haha??

also that thread was worked out over the season rather than the 42/3 games we''d played.

[/quote]We''ve played 44 games and my stat came from ''My football writer.com'' last month I think. But I did the maths myself again to include this months results and 1 more win (3 points) would see Gunns average have us in middle of the league, you do the math;P 17 W 5 D 5 L 7 F 23 A 21 Pts 2020 points divided by 17 matches = 1.8 points per match. So by 44 matches x 1.8 = 53 points which would put us in 15th.You can decide yourself where you think middle of the table is but what is the point of laughing at a fan who is trying to demonstrate to you that your club manager isn''t as bad as you think and that your current manager deserves more support from you and those of a similar point of view. Im not the one to be laughed at for attempting to convey the truth to my fellow supporters.Are you motivated to make your posts to find the truth of the matter or just to win a arguement ?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]The only way I would have Gunny as manager is if he had a top coaching team. He could then concentrate on man management and media. That won''t happen I assume because he selected the coaches! My humble opinion is that Crooky and Butters are not good enough. For those who think Crooky has brought his family over here, i don''t think that''s true so there is no obligation to continue his contract. Gunny gets on well with Dublin ....... could that possibly happen? Whatever league we find ourselves in next season, I hope Gunny carries out an honest self- assessment of his performance and does the correct thing for the club and not for himself. Something i fear he did when taking the job.[/quote]

Can confirm you are right Bury Yellow Crooky''s family are still in Oz and by his own admission he expects to retun if this season is a failure.