Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

We are certainly not the first big club to play in the Third Division!

I thought I would point his obvious fact out to try to make some sense of the awful reality that we may well be heading for the Third Division now. There are probably 3 big clubs going down there this year: Charlton, Ourselves and Southampton. All three are too big for that Micky Mouse league. There have been even bigger clubs such as Leeds and Man City down there. Also you could find Forest, Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield Wed playing well below their potential in the lower leagues. All too big for 3rd 4th Div football.

That''s disgusting. It''s simply not done to try & give a sense of perspective on these matters. Go stand in the corner & hang your head in shame.

And there''s been more than those Phil. But if we are relegated we will have all summer to face the awful reality of it. For now we should be concentrating on the reality that we may well still stay up. 4 points could be enough. 6 points should be enough.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]I thought I would point his obvious fact out to try to make some sense of the awful reality that we may well be heading for the Third Division now. There are probably 3 big clubs going down there this year: Charlton, Ourselves and Southampton. All three are too big for that Micky Mouse league. There have been even bigger clubs such as Leeds and Man City down there. Also you could find Forest, Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield Wed playing well below their potential in the lower leagues. All too big for 3rd 4th Div football.[/quote]

And that makes it ok does it Phil?

It doesn''t make it ok at all, Wiz. I''m just trying to point out that no club is too big (apart from Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea, of course) nor immune from relegation. I''m as disenchanted as the next man with what our inept board have done to the club we all love.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]It doesn''t make it ok at all, Wiz. I''m just trying to point out that no club is too big (apart from Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea, of course) nor immune from relegation. I''m as disenchanted as the next man with what our inept board have done to the club we all love.[/quote]

Now back in the 80''s Chelsea avoided the drop to the Third Division by just 2 points Phil. They were extremely lucky too because they finished on 47 points! Even the doomiest of doom-merchants would see us equalling that total! I think they won the Second Division with 99 points the following year though[:O]

[quote user="CT "]

1 point could be enough![:O]

It wont be , but it could ....

[/quote]

Do they not teach mathematics and english at school anymore?

[quote user="Mange Tout"][quote user="CT "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry???? 1 point could be enough, could it not?

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]I thought I would point his obvious fact out to try to make some sense of the awful reality that we may well be heading for the Third Division now. There are probably 3 big clubs going down there this year: Charlton, Ourselves and Southampton. All three are too big for that Micky Mouse league. There have been even bigger clubs such as Leeds and Man City down there. Also you could find Forest, Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield Wed playing well below their potential in the lower leagues. All too big for 3rd 4th Div football.[/quote]

But we''re not really a big club anyway. Nor is Charlton. Wait until we have been in 3rd division for a two seasons and watch our attendances tumble and then describe us a big club. I''m not having a go at you just trying to make the point that as much as i would like to believe that we are a big club ..............we arent'' really !

[quote user="Iwan is God"][quote user="Mange Tout"][quote user="CT "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry???? 1 point could be enough, could it not?

[/quote]

Me thinks mange tout is an idiot....

I think that for a club to be "too big for a league" they have to prove it by scoring enough points to stay in the league above...

[quote user="Al Guido"]

But we''re not really a big club anyway. Nor is Charlton. Wait until we have been in 3rd division for a two seasons and watch our attendances tumble and then describe us a big club. I''m not having a go at you just trying to make the point that as much as i would like to believe that we are a big club ..............we arent'' really !

[/quote]

We may not be a big club in comparison to Manure or Arse but we are certainly to big to be spending to much time in league 1.

[quote user="Lol Morgan"]The difference between oursleves and those clubs is that they came back, reasonably quickly.

With this board, we won''t.[/quote]

Unless I''m mistaken Leeds haven''t got back yet - making the play-offs maybe but the form team seems to be that other ''big'' club MK Franchise...lol

I would be amazed if we even challenged for the play offs , even if we could keep the squad we have now i doubt they would be good enough for automatic promotion , and we all know that anybody worth anything will be sold off .

Think of it this way. If we go down, there''s more chance of us winning a trophy than if we stay up! Champions next season! Even if it is league 1!

The point surely is that the bigger clubs, if properly run, shouldn''t find themselves down there.  If they do it''s their own fault. 

Smaller clubs can do everything right and still be unable to survive.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Think of it this way. If we go down, there''s more chance of us winning a trophy than if we stay up! Champions next season! Even if it is league 1![/quote]Yep, as harsh as it is, relegation may grant me the only opportunity to visit Wembley at some point in my lifetime with my city colours on. Albeit, the playoffs or the Johnsons Paints Trophy lol

Yeah... but we aren''t a "big club" any more are we?

This has been on the cards for years and now Smith''s "little old Norwich" wimper has come home to roost. She thought small and NCFC duly became small. That''s what happens.

This argument as to whether City is a big club or not has been debated many times before, and always results in people being unable to agree. My criterion for judging whether a club is big or not is on the size of its fan base. Strictly speaking, I suppose, we are a medium sized club. We are certainly bigger, however, than Premiership clubs such as: Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham and Pompey. There are only 15 clubs in England with better average attendances.

The problem is every ground you visit, the opposition tend to play above themselves and battle for every 50-50. I also think the standard of refereeing is awful.It takes a certain type of team to get out 1st time and Forest did it 3rd time of asking by skin of teeth last season (relying on Leeds 15 point deduction in the end). Some teams come out of it stronger I think but the danger can be that you change from being a Prem/Championship yo yo team to a Championship/Div One yo yo team which is a position Forest currently find themselves in.Anyway, here''s praying its Barnsley for the drop