Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Kieran Gibbs

I would imagine that many of the critics on this site had to eat humble pie last night after watching the 19 year old lad playing left back for Arsenal in the European Champions League Quarter-Final 3-0 win over Villareal.

He had a pretty steady game too.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I would imagine that many of the critics on this site had to eat humble pie last night after watching the 19 year old lad playing left back for Arsenal in the European Champions League Quarter-Final 3-0 win over Villareal.

OTBC

[/quote]pleased for the boy that he has come through and take your word for it he had a decent game,,,but for city - he was too weak and underdeveloped for champs footy - and along with the other young loanees that jan window - shafted any outside chance of city making the top 6 - and instead helped to plunge us into a freefall that saw us flirt with relegation again...so - no narrwich fan has to eat humble pie imo - it was a case of wrong place wrong time too early for gibsy at city - but as i say i wish the boy good luck...as for roedy - his ''overvaluation'' of tiny taylor and import of these young boys sowed the seeds for his own downfall - this marked the beginning of his demise imo - as he got too easily sucked into donny''s black-hole...

I think Gibbs looks a different player at left back to a creative midfield role like Roeder gave him.

I think he is not the best defender but then when have Arsenal full backs ever been this?

No humble pie to eat as the circumstances are different - different manager, team etc and all that can be commented on is the impact a player has for a given team. 

Gibbs gives a toss playing for Arsenal.. he never did for us... it was clear from his first match he never wanted to be here.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Gibbs gives a toss playing for Arsenal.. he never did for us... it was clear from his first match he never wanted to be here.

[/quote]Harsh Jas, surely he would have come here trying his best to force his way into the Arsenal squad?[quote user="rjwc22"]

I think Gibbs looks a different player at left back to a creative midfield role like Roeder gave him.

[/quote]

Agreed. Last night Wenger admitted his best form of defence was attack. And this was obviously why players like Gibbs were brought in - not a natural left back, but can do the job and help with the attacks. He played well, and Arsenal deserved the result. It''s good to have 3 English teams through again, and at least one garunteed in the final. It''s great for English football.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Did he not go up to Sheffield with the team after his loan had ended or am I getting confused?

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

pleased for the boy that he has come through and take your word for it he had a decent game,,,but for city - he was too weak and underdeveloped for champs footy - and along with the other young loanees that jan window - shafted any outside chance of city making the top 6 - and instead helped to plunge us into a freefall that saw us flirt with relegation again...

so - no narrwich fan has to eat humble pie imo - it was a case of wrong place wrong time too early for gibsy at city - but as i say i wish the boy good luck...

as for roedy - his ''overvaluation'' of tiny taylor and import of these young boys sowed the seeds for his own downfall - this marked the beginning of his demise imo - as he got too easily sucked into donny''s black-hole...
[/quote]

He never overvalued Taylor.

OTBC

[/quote]

What did you think of his performances for Norwich though Babes?

OTBC

[/quote]

God these posts really annoy me.  It is the same with Dickson Etuhu.  However well they play now and whatever plaudits are deserved does not affect how they played then.  Yet there is always some joker pooping up to say all the criticism was wrong because now they are playing well.   Even Shackell played poorly last season and his great form this time does not change that.

The only ones to eat humble pie are those who said Gibbs and Etuhu etc. would never ever play well for anybody any time no way because they were clearly wrong.  Everyone who said they disappointed for us is right and subsequent events do not change that fact.

I seem to recall that Gibbs wanted to travel with the team to Wednesday but Wenger wanted him on the bench for Arsenal.

OTBC

[/quote]He is a year older now than when he played for us and consequently physically stronger. His physical presence was something he lacked when playing for us, he is no doubt a very talented player.

As I see it; he loves to play, is clearly a good player and enjoyed his time with us but we probably had him a year too early in his development.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Finished the bog cleaning for today I see, nigel. Good.

What''s your point? See if you can get it over without being churlish. You know that apart from the odd occasion I am completely in the hands of good folks like you, Auntie and Neilo to get us back into the prem so that I can see our team regularly on worldwide TV - problem is that you''re not doing a very good job of it are you.

I don''t suppose you saw the Arsenal/Villareal match by any chance did you? [;)]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

God these posts really annoy me.  It is the same with Dickson Etuhu.  However well they play now and whatever plaudits are deserved does not affect how they played then.  Yet there is always some joker pooping up to say all the criticism was wrong because now they are playing well.   Even Shackell played poorly last season and his great form this time does not change that.

The only ones to eat humble pie are those who said Gibbs and Etuhu etc. would never ever play well for anybody any time no way because they were clearly wrong.  Everyone who said they disappointed for us is right and subsequent events do not change that fact.

[/quote]

If they annoy you then why respond? To interject your personal assumptions and presumptions?

Wenger can get Gibbs to play.

Hodgson can get Etuhu to play.

Gunn can get Shackell to play.

Ipso facto?

OTBC

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Harsh Jas, surely he would have come here trying his best to force his way into the Arsenal squad?

[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]

Agreed. Last night Wenger admitted his best form of defence was attack. And this was obviously why players like Gibbs were brought in - not a natural left back, but can do the job and help with the attacks. He played well, and Arsenal deserved the result. It''s good to have 3 English teams through again, and at least one garunteed in the final. It''s great for English football.

[/quote]Good to have 3 English teams in the Champs Cup?? How many ENGLISH players are there in these 3 teams????

[quote user="barclay46"][quote user="AJ"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Harsh Jas, surely he would have come here trying his best to force his way into the Arsenal squad?

[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Good to have 3 English teams in the Champs Cup?? How many ENGLISH players are there in these 3 teams????[/quote]

About as many Irish as there are in those Irish teams?

OTBC

[quote user="barclay46"]

Good to have 3 English teams in the Champs Cup?? How many ENGLISH players are there in these 3 teams????

[/quote]

Not many for Arsenal but a few for Utd and Chelsea.

I doubt Barca will have many (if any) more Spaniards in their team than Chelsea will have Englishmen in theirs.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="barclay46"]

Good to have 3 English teams in the Champs Cup?? How many ENGLISH players are there in these 3 teams????

[/quote]

Not many for Arsenal but a few for Utd and Chelsea.

I doubt Barca will have many (if any) more Spaniards in their team than Chelsea will have Englishmen in theirs.

[/quote]

Actually now I think about it... I suppose Joe Cole is out so that''s one less.

But yeah...English sides aren''t really any worse than any of the other teams from the continent.

He seemed so light weight for us, I just can''t see how he is coming up with the goods for Arsenal! Oh yeah I do, there might be a slight difference in managerial qualities between Roeder & Wenger! lol. He played everyone out of position, I would really want to know, WHY!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

What''s your point? See if you can get it over without being churlish. You know that apart from the odd occasion I am completely in the hands of good folks like you, Auntie and Neilo to get us back into the prem so that I can see our team regularly on worldwide TV - problem is that you''re not doing a very good job of it are you.

I don''t suppose you saw the Arsenal/Villareal match by any chance did you? [;)]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well I would have thought my point was obvious Babes. But I''ll spell it out to you. Why would you imagine those critics would be eating humble pie if you haven''t got a clue whether their criticisms are valid. Is that over loud and clear enough for you?

No I didn''t see the Arsenal match. Or the Manchester United game. But I did see some of the Liverpool/Chelsea game. However I have probably only watched about half a dozen Champions League games since it started.

If they annoy you then why respond? To interject your personal assumptions and presumptions?

Wenger can get Gibbs to play.

Hodgson can get Etuhu to play.

Gunn can get Shackell to play.

Ipso facto?

OTBC

[/quote]

Peter Grant may not have done much for us in his time as manager but he certainly got Etuhu to play. 50 matches and 7 goals in our midfield in 06/07 which was why he got a move to the Premiership. Worthy tracked him for a long time and tried to sign him when we lost Francis. He would have been a good signing then but I believe he had is eye on a possible move to Everton. When he eventually signed it was at a time where Worthy was unpopular. Etuhu took a while to settle in and the fans made their minds up too quickly. I believe there is a case to be made for eating humble pie in this instance.

Worthy and Grant could both get Shackell to play. Roeder obviously preferred the money. Shackell is improving with age. No Central defenders are at their best in their early 20''s.

damnant quodnon intelligunt

OTBC

[/quote]

Doesn''t change the fact that he was utter c*ap for us certainly one of the worst performers I''ve seen in a Canary shirt in the many years I''ve been going!

I think a lot of the problem was that thought he was above us and didn''t really have his heart in it?

Another one of Roedernowheres loanee "stab in the dark, my contact at Arsenal reakons hes good" disasters that as a previous poster rightfully says meant that last season instead of having a realistic outside chance of the play offs we ended up in freefall only just avoiding the drop all because Roedernowhere decided to change a team that hadn''t lost for 13-14 games probably in the case of Hucks out of spite!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well I would have thought my point was obvious Babes. But I''ll spell it out to you. Why would you imagine those critics would be eating humble pie if you haven''t got a clue whether their criticisms are valid. Is that over loud and clear enough for you?

No I didn''t see the Arsenal match. Or the Manchester United game. But I did see some of the Liverpool/Chelsea game. However I have probably only watched about half a dozen Champions League games since it started.

[/quote]

At your earnest and rather self-righteous best again I see nigel.

Cacoethes carpendi.

[|-)]

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cacoethes carpendi.

[|-)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cacoethes carpendi.

[|-)]

OTBC

[/quote]Oh grow the f*ck up both of you. Just because you put it in nice flowery language doesnt stop this being like children who as soon as they see a post by the other has to pick a fight. Its getting boring now.

So anways ''king canary - what the f*ck did you make of Gibbs performances for us last season, and do you think his critics should be eating humble pie just because he put in a good performance for his real club in the Champions League?

About as many Irish as there are in those Irish teams?

OTBC

Mr Worthington must answer for himself but in the current Republic of Ireland squad only four out of 25 are there on Grandma''s apron.

I could list them if you want but I know you have a limited attention span so unless you want it I am not going to bother.

But, if you do, please ask.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So anways ''king canary - what the f*ck did you make of Gibbs performances for us last season, and do you think his critics should be eating humble pie just because he put in a good performance for his real club in the Champions League?

[/quote]I thought he was not as bad as some made out he was here. However I do agree that just because he plays well for Arsenal doesnt mean people who criticized his performances here were wrong. However there are still some who swear blind that he is crap and has no merit as Ive seen on other threads.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
I thought he was not as bad as some made out he was here. However I do agree that just because he plays well for Arsenal doesnt mean people who criticized his performances here were wrong. However there are still some who swear blind that he is crap and has no merit as Ive seen on other threads.
[/quote]

I''d agree with that. If I remember rightly he was played out on the left against Hull in his first game. He was starved of the ball and looked quite weak against a strong well organised team. Problem was that many of our fans felt "we should be beating the likes of Hull" and Gibbs got more than his fair share of blame for that defeat. He did improve in subsequent games but never to the point where he had much impact on results. Gibbs was probably not the type of player to be on loan in a physical Championship but may well be good enough to possibly get a Champions League winners medal with The Arse! It''s a funny old game!!