Sign in to follow this  
Bongo Boy

Lappin......

Sorry for starting anew post on this.......But wasn''t sure where to add it too!!.....From what i saw on saturday he played well!!..Why are loads of people cruxifying him?.......

Wholeheartedy agree with you Bongo - I really don''t get it.

First half he was our best player! If we were ever going to score, it would come from him and the quality of his final ball and set plays was superb - something which everyone has always moaned we lack!

Personally I would rather see him on the left of midfield, putting crosses in for the likes of Lee, but he really wasn''t as bad as people make out on Saturday. I honestly believe that some ''fans'' on this board, don''t care about the football but just love a good ol'' moan! How very British!

[quote user="Bongo Boy"]Sorry for starting anew post on this.......But wasn''t sure where to add it too!!.....From what i saw on saturday he played well!!..Why are loads of people cruxifying him?.......[/quote]

An average game for me but better than his midfield compatriots Carney and Croft. Seemed good in posession and his crossing and passing were good but can''t recall many tackles and so our midfield was weak defensively.

It''s a team game - and those "supporters" who find a scapegoat to blame are hardly true ''fans'' are they.Sure they''re allowed their opinions, but pointing the finger isn''t going to help anything.It''s a team game, and the whole TEAM didn''t play well enough saturday. Which is why we resultantly lost.

it''s sadly what most norwich fans do best.... point the finger. We lost a game we could have won, yes. however we haven''t beaten them now in what is it? 8 games? Weds have been a difficult team to play against most of the season and i think we need to forget about saturday and ''try'' be positive and back the team. Gunn tried something it didn''t work, many managers wait that bit longer on their subs as they have faith in the players they have out on the pitch. up next are swansea, this will be a hard game but lets focus on this game. The team i would go for would be this;marshallotsemobor doherty shackell drurygow clingan lappin bertrandmooney leesubs russell - option for miodfield bite as well as upfront croft - to slip in to push gow further upfront. mcdonald smith daley - pace in the last 15 mins

[quote user="The Chirp"]it''s sadly what most norwich fans do best.... point the finger.

We lost a game we could have won, yes. however we haven''t beaten them now in what is it? 8 games? Weds have been a difficult team to play against most of the season and i think we need to forget about saturday and ''try'' be positive and back the team.

Gunn tried something it didn''t work, many managers wait that bit longer on their subs as they have faith in the players they have out on the pitch.

up next are swansea, this will be a hard game but lets focus on this game.

The team i would go for would be this;

marshall
otsemobor doherty shackell drury
gow clingan lappin bertrand
mooney lee

subs
russell - option for miodfield bite as well as upfront
croft - to slip in to push gow further upfront.
mcdonald
smith
daley - pace in the last 15 mins

[/quote]

I think Gunny will have a keeper on the bench.I agree with your starting 11, however I think Gunny will go with;

Marshall

Semmy Doc Shack Bertrand

Croft Clingan Russell Gow

Lee Mooney

Never going to have the strength we need, said strenght that russell gives us. All well and good being able to deliver that perfect ball, but Sheffield Wednesday bossed the Midfield and we need someone like russell to go in and break up play, then we can release to the wide players who were pretty non existant on Saturday.

Lappin''s also never going to lose his head completely and get a moronic red card that could cost us.

Russell''s a liability. And he''s not even that good when he is on the pitch.

Keep Lappin in, or better yet, get Pattison back in. He was having a good season before he inexplicably got dropped.

Because we''d be likely to find ourselves down to 10 men. Obviously.

10 vs 11 is never easy. Even losing a poor player can make one hell of a difference, what with the extra space available.

Shall we try another one? 2 + 2, perhaps?

Sent off twice this season shows he doesnt lose his head all the time........just think if he hadn''t played against QPR. We''d be in the bottom 3 now. A strong tough tackling centre midfield player is always going to be open to discipline issues but he is a player who can break up opponents play, and push on when necessary......Lappins not played much for a reason!!

2 reds and 6 yellows this season, 2 reds and 8 yellows last season. That''s far too much, for a player who doesn''t really bring anything to the team that Pattison doesn''t.

Your point about Lappin only holds true if you trust Roeders and Gunnys judgement. Roeder was clearly a brain dead moron, and Gunny, bless him, also suffers from some serious misjudgements. Sticking with Fozzy when he first got the job, for example, or keeping Carney on for so long on Saturday.

Just my opinion, of course, but in Lappin we have a player who can actually pass a football. That''s why i''d stick with him. Failing that, i''d play Matty, who, as i''ve said, is just as effective as Russell but less likely to do something stupid that could cost us... On the pitch, of course. ;o)

It''s a game of opinions though!

what i don''t understand is why Lappin and Lee were regarded as heroes on here for doing nothing. willing to give them both their chance but couldn''t see why people were saying they must play when they haven''t seen them play at all yet

for me, Lappin was exactly the same on Saturday as he was last time he was in the team. not bad workrate, ok delivery, no pace, too lightweight for this division. useful in a team doing well but for a club like us trying to grind out results Russell would be my preferred option - he does need to learn to keep his cool tho

Fully appreciate your comments. However in my opinion good teams do well by having two contrasting players in midfield. One who can pass the ball well and one who will break up play, that committed work horse. We''ve seen it in the past. Gary holt would be that player and let safri the freedom to pass. Or players like etuhu, and francis. I don''t think we can play Lappin and Clingan as they are very similar players. On Pattison, I think he is a good player, but off the field issues will mean he has a lot to do to get back in the team unfortunately. Therefore no real point in discussing him.

pattison is a poor centre midfield player in my opinion. he is never a holding player so couldn''t go next to sammy c. Look back at the goals we let in against forest, he just walks as a player goes past him! woeful. I don''t normally get angry watching norwich players but patty was terrible. I don''t know why people are even bringing his name up... we lose one game and its doom and gloom etc etc... i''d rather start smith from the start next to sammy than patty p.

So, he had a bad game. Big deal. He''s also had a number of very good games this season, which is more than i could say for the other candidates for the place...

He''s a good player. He''s got a quality left foot, he really can put a ball on the money from 50 yards. And his general play is pretty sensible, he has good awareness of what''s going on around him. Unfortunately though he doesn''t look cut out to play in the centre of midfield, not when you''ve got to battle in this league.

Some of the balls he knocked in (in the first half especially) would have been brilliant for someone like Alan Lee.

I''d have Lappin on the left wing for the next game, with Russell back in midfield.

I was left a little disappointed with Lappin’s performance on Saturday after seeing him have a blinder in Birmingham. But to be fair he was part of a collective poor team on Saturday so it’s a tad harsh to criticise him too much! If “Birmingham Lappin” can turn up in Swansea I would stick with him in midfield.  

I too thought he was pretty average on Sat after his performance on Sat but I''m still right behind him as I am all out other players who are selected.

I meant ''''after his performance at Birmingham''''

I didn''t see Lappin at Birmingham so I can''t comment on that. I just think Lappin is a very good footballer who needs a little more time than you get in centre midfield in the championship. But I have been thinking about Saturday and whether I was harsh and over critical. Because to be fair to him, our whole midfield was poor. And there are definitely reasons for that. Clingan had just played two huge games for Northern Ireland, two massive games which must have taken their toll. Carney had been jetting around the world and Croft was just back from injury. It''s definitely unfair to blame Lappin for our midfield being over run.

Swansea are the best footballing side I have seen in the Championship this season, that could be a much better oppurtunity for Lappin to shine in the centre of midfield. Shame I can''t go.

[quote user="San Miguel"]

for me, Lappin was exactly the same on Saturday as he was last time he was in the team. not bad workrate, ok delivery, no pace, too lightweight for this division. useful in a team doing well but for a club like us trying to grind out results Russell would be my preferred option - he does need to learn to keep his cool tho

[/quote]Ah San - i seem to recall you saying much the same of Sammy Clingan at the start of the season!  Lappin is not perfect but is versatile and can do a turn at LB and central midfield - but don''t judge him when he plays there. His natural position is wide left and I''d have him there over Carney. Thought Chris Lakey was a bit harsh to rate Lappin the same as Croft and Carney on Saturday''s performance. I''m sure Gunn will stick with him - though Russell may come back in at the expense of Croft. We need goal chances to be created - we can''t rely on two defensive errors as against Cardiff. Lappin can deliver, especially from corners - and probably would have done against Wednesday if Shackell had not headed straight at the keeper or if Lee had come on earlier.