Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Gunn: Much Too Slow To Make Changes!!

Why did Bryan take so long to shake things up in attack on Saturday? Good idea; let''s wait till the match is almost ended before making any substitutions! If I had been manager I would have brought on Cody and Lee at half time, or certainly no later than10 minutes or so into the second half. He was unbelievably slow to take action. Ok we may still have lost, but to my mind our forward line was clearly lacking in ideas and it would have been worth a punt on changing things much sooner, rather than just plodding along causing very few problems to the Wednesday defence.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Why did Bryan take so long to shake things up in attack on Saturday? Good idea; let''s wait till the match is almost ended before making any substitutions! If I had been manager I would have brought on Cody and Lee at half time, or certainly no later than10 minutes or so into the second half. He was unbelievably slow to take action. Ok we may still have lost, but to my mind our forward line was clearly lacking in ideas and it would have been worth a punt on changing things much sooner, rather than just plodding along causing very few problems to the Wednesday defence.[/quote]

It''s hardly a new phenomenon, Phil. Game after game we see the same thing. Unfortunately that''s part of the price for having a manager with zero experience. We were second best all first half, and while I could understand leaving it for the first 15 minutes of the second half, something needed to be done thereafter.

It was pointless bringing Cody on when he did in my opinion. Had he have come on at about 70, we would still be trying to win the game with the ball along the floor, playing football. Allowing Cody to use his pace and make chances to score.
However when Cody did come on, at 81, we''re chasing the game and have just started to play the long, hopeful ball into the box. What is McDonald going to be able to do with that? He was wasted ...

But 99% of the crowd have even less managerial experience and were crying out for the totally obvious change to be made so I can''t understand for the life of me why Gunny and crew couldn''t see it needed to be done, probably at half-time to be honest. Carney was non-existent (probably jet-lagged) and Crofty nowhere near himself (probably not fit).

Gunn has plenty of football savvy plus support from Butterworth and Crook so IMO lack of experience doesn''t come into it. They obviously had their own reasons as to the timing of the substitutions they made although I must admit that I have no idea what they might have been. In the same way, that God only knows why Roeder did not bring on Lupoli in the 2nd half at Reading when all our fans to a man were scremaing for him to do it.............. and Roeder doesn''t lack managerial experience. Going back to the Sheff Weds game, more to the point I simply do not understand why Gunn and Co thought they should start without Lee after the excellent performance he put in at Brum but then I suppose we all think we know better, especially when the result goes against us !

Big mistake from our Gunny not to play Lee on Saturday plus he should have come off the bench at half time.

Hope he starts with him on Sat at Swansea.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Big mistake from our Gunny not to play Lee on Saturday plus he should have come off the bench at half time.

Hope he starts with him on Sat at Swansea.

[/quote]

Dont want to be too hard on Gunny, but agree he should of started Lee! Quite suprised by that one

I have supported Gunny 100% up to now, but on Saturday I couldn''t believe his ineptitude and lack of control over events. As others have said, he bigged up Lee several times prior to the game and then what does he do? Leaves him on the bench. Brilliant! Most people near me in lower Barclay E Block, started to become quite angry as their frustrations came to the boil and Gunn allowed the match to peter out towards its somewhat inevitable sad conclusion. I''m sorry, but I blame Team Gunn for that shite defeat. I''m now starting to think that we are going down.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]I have supported Gunny 100% up to now, but on Saturday I couldn''t believe his ineptitude and lack of control over events. As others have said, he bigged up Lee several times prior to the game and then what does he do? Leaves him on the bench. Brilliant! Most people near me in lower Barclay E Block, started to become quite angry as their frustrations came to the boil and Gunn allowed the match to peter out towards its somewhat inevitable sad conclusion. I''m sorry, but I blame Team Gunn for that shite defeat. I''m now starting to think that we are going down.[/quote]

Oh Pleeez! We lost because we are not very good and we have got into this situation over a number of years not the few weeks Gunn has been in charge. If we go down it will be caused be years of neglect. Managers are not messiah''s they can only play with what they have got. With both the wide midfielders being under par the suggestion that taking off our front two - who have been a particular bright spot over our recovery since the Cov game doesn''t really seem the brightest idea you could come up with. Truth is with Wes injured, Rusty suspended & Fatty Patty sulking the option to freshen up the midfield wasn''t there.

Saturday I''d leave Carney & Lappin out bring Lee in up front move Gow out wide and bring back Rusty to give us bite in midfield. But what do I know. I am only a fan and probably missed my tenure as England coach.

As soon as wednesday score Lee should have been on, if there wasnt much of an impact, then bring on cody and Smith after another 5/10 mins, what was the piont bringing on those two for 10 mins, there likely going to be in the first team next season (especially if we go down) so why cant they at least play 30 mins, if not 60 or 90 even

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Why did Bryan take so long to shake things up in attack on Saturday? Good idea; let''s wait till the match is almost ended before making any substitutions! If I had been manager I would have brought on Cody and Lee at half time, or certainly no later than10 minutes or so into the second half. He was unbelievably slow to take action. Ok we may still have lost, but to my mind our forward line was clearly lacking in ideas and it would have been worth a punt on changing things much sooner, rather than just plodding along causing very few problems to the Wednesday defence.[/quote]

Lee would have started the game had I been boss Phil, also Carney would have been dropped, he must have been jet lagged!

Its all very worrying.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

It''s hardly a new phenomenon, Phil. Game after game we see the same thing. Unfortunately that''s part of the price for having a manager with zero experience. We were second best all first half, and while I could understand leaving it for the first 15 minutes of the second half, something needed to be done thereafter.

[/quote]

lol but we had Roeder who was experienced and did exactly the same thing, go figure hehehe [:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

lol but we had Roeder who was experienced and did exactly the same thing, go figure hehehe [:D]

[/quote]Experience/ inexperience can all amount to the same thing in the end. We will win some and lose some, mamnager will make decisions that work and those that don''t. Bet Joe Royle and Billy Davies aren''t flavour of month at moment with their respective clubs. Lots of experience too.

Think new team have done well so far, players that have been brought in have on the whole been OK.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Experience/ inexperience can all amount to the same thing in the end. We will win some and lose some, mamnager will make decisions that work and those that don''t. Bet Joe Royle and Billy Davies aren''t flavour of month at moment with their respective clubs. Lots of experience too.

Think new team have done well so far, players that have been brought in have on the whole been OK.

[/quote]

That was basically my point.  Even managers like Sir purple face make errors in judgement, Gunny is starting out and making the same errors that very experienced managers make.

Personally, I think the only solution is to appoint a panel of 10 posters from this MB to decide on substitutions and their timings. The panel can sit in the area behind the bench and will be allowed to be in constant consultation during a game. Each panel member will have large numbered cards, similar to ice skating judges. At any time during a game the panel members can stand up displaying a card with the number of a player that he thinks should be subbed. When this happens, the panel member should hold the card high above his/her head and swivel at the hips in that strange, awkward twisting motion synonomous with the 4th official these days i.e. simply turning around with the card above your head is not allowed. A substitution is only implemented when six or more panel members stand up at the same time with the same number on immediately followed by a further majority displaying the same number of the player to come on. Overt displays of derision and bad mouthing by panel members towards their fellows during this process will of course be mandatory. If trials of this concept prove succesful then the idea can be widened to include team and subs selection and ultimately appointments such as manager and main board. The 10 man panel to be rotational with each game''s panel being elected following voting on the Pink un message board 24 hours before each game.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]Personally, I think the only solution is to appoint a panel of 10 posters from this MB to decide on substitutions and their timings. The panel can sit in the area behind the bench and will be allowed to be in constant consultation during a game. Each panel member will have large numbered cards, similar to ice skating judges. At any time during a game the panel members can stand up displaying a card with the number of a player that he thinks should be subbed. When this happens, the panel member should hold the card high above his/her head and swivel at the hips in that strange, awkward twisting motion synonomous with the 4th official these days i.e. simply turning around with the card above your head is not allowed. A substitution is only implemented when six or more panel members stand up at the same time with the same number on immediately followed by a further majority displaying the same number of the player to come on. Overt displays of derision and bad mouthing by panel members towards their fellows during this process will of course be mandatory. If trials of this concept prove succesful then the idea can be widened to include team and subs selection and ultimately appointments such as manager and main board. The 10 man panel to be rotational with each game''s panel being elected following voting on the Pink un message board 24 hours before each game.[/quote]

The most sensible post on here for years![:D]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]Personally, I think the only solution is to appoint a panel of 10 posters from this MB to decide on substitutions and their timings. The panel can sit in the area behind the bench and will be allowed to be in constant consultation during a game. Each panel member will have large numbered cards, similar to ice skating judges. At any time during a game the panel members can stand up displaying a card with the number of a player that he thinks should be subbed. When this happens, the panel member should hold the card high above his/her head and swivel at the hips in that strange, awkward twisting motion synonomous with the 4th official these days i.e. simply turning around with the card above your head is not allowed. A substitution is only implemented when six or more panel members stand up at the same time with the same number on immediately followed by a further majority displaying the same number of the player to come on. Overt displays of derision and bad mouthing by panel members towards their fellows during this process will of course be mandatory. If trials of this concept prove succesful then the idea can be widened to include team and subs selection and ultimately appointments such as manager and main board. The 10 man panel to be rotational with each game''s panel being elected following voting on the Pink un message board 24 hours before each game.[/quote]

The most sensible post on here for years![:D]

[/quote]

As always I see a flaw though Beaus[:O] Are there ever 10 posters from this MB in Carrow Road at the same time[:^)] To be safe we''d better cut it down to five or failing that let some posters be on the panel from home [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"] [quote user="Lord Snooty"]Personally, I think the only solution is to appoint a panel of 10 posters from this MB to decide on substitutions and their timings. The panel can sit in the area behind the bench and will be allowed to be in constant consultation during a game. Each panel member will have large numbered cards, similar to ice skating judges. At any time during a game the panel members can stand up displaying a card with the number of a player that he thinks should be subbed. When this happens, the panel member should hold the card high above his/her head and swivel at the hips in that strange, awkward twisting motion synonomous with the 4th official these days i.e. simply turning around with the card above your head is not allowed. A substitution is only implemented when six or more panel members stand up at the same time with the same number on immediately followed by a further majority displaying the same number of the player to come on. Overt displays of derision and bad mouthing by panel members towards their fellows during this process will of course be mandatory. If trials of this concept prove succesful then the idea can be widened to include team and subs selection and ultimately appointments such as manager and main board. The 10 man panel to be rotational with each game''s panel being elected following voting on the Pink un message board 24 hours before each game.[/quote]The most sensible post on here for years![:D][/quote]As always I see a flaw though Beaus[:O] Are there ever 10 posters from this MB in Carrow Road at the same time[:^)] To be safe we''d better cut it down to five or failing that let some posters be on the panel from home [;)][/quote]And if you did manage to get ten there altogether, wouldn''t they all be watching different games? [:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"] [quote user="Lord Snooty"]Personally, I think the only solution is to appoint a panel of 10 posters from this MB to decide on substitutions and their timings. The panel can sit in the area behind the bench and will be allowed to be in constant consultation during a game. Each panel member will have large numbered cards, similar to ice skating judges. At any time during a game the panel members can stand up displaying a card with the number of a player that he thinks should be subbed. When this happens, the panel member should hold the card high above his/her head and swivel at the hips in that strange, awkward twisting motion synonomous with the 4th official these days i.e. simply turning around with the card above your head is not allowed. A substitution is only implemented when six or more panel members stand up at the same time with the same number on immediately followed by a further majority displaying the same number of the player to come on. Overt displays of derision and bad mouthing by panel members towards their fellows during this process will of course be mandatory. If trials of this concept prove succesful then the idea can be widened to include team and subs selection and ultimately appointments such as manager and main board. The 10 man panel to be rotational with each game''s panel being elected following voting on the Pink un message board 24 hours before each game.[/quote]The most sensible post on here for years![:D][/quote]As always I see a flaw though Beaus[:O] Are there ever 10 posters from this MB in Carrow Road at the same time[:^)] To be safe we''d better cut it down to five or failing that let some posters be on the panel from home [;)][/quote]And if you did manage to get ten there altogether, wouldn''t they all be watching different games? [:^)][/quote]

Personally I was looking forward to Mello giving his scores by displaying various pieces of clip art. Maybe a shepherd''s crook for a substitution, a cartoon of Roadrunner for Crofty and a picture of the Incredible Hulk for Alan Lee....?