Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Earnie

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Chase turned out to be cheap.[/quote]

Compared with what?

3rd in the league (Div1) which we lead .

European football.

Great team

Yep compared with this lot very cheap!!

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Chase turned out to be cheap.[/quote]

Compared with what?

3rd in the league (Div1) which we lead .

European football.

Great team

Yep compared with this lot very cheap!!

[/quote]I don''t think we paid a lot of money to get there though. I do find Chase very interesting in that in a way he was a victim of his own success. He had managed to get in a series of untried and untested managers who brought him the goods. Walker is a prime example. That season was the peak of it all.Unfortunately as we experienced with this board, if you are unwilling to spend then you should not hope to consolidate the position in the league. To stay in the premiership you need players with premiership ability. To stay in the top four or five of the premiership you need to have players that capable of it. Instead of consolidating that position he sold players that were integral to achieving that position.The difference between then and our premiership season under the current board is that although they didn''t sell players they didn''t provide enough money to replenish what was an ageing squad. Edworthy, Svensson, Fleming, Mackay were all 30+ and then you look at what we brought in because of a lack of money to get better targets,  Charlton, Helveg and then later on Stuart.Anyway - cheap is quite right, but whether you see that as a negative or not is an entirely different matter.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Re: Headlines Today If we do go down, I would rather Earnie caused it than Ipswich. Slightly easier to swallow.[/quote]it would not be easy to swallow no matter who sent us down....we are going to miss relegation by the skin of out teeth[Y]

Or Jamie Cureton might send us down, not just by his misses for us, but his two goals for Barnsley, obviously the latter not being his fault is it Mr Roeder?

Despite all the good times he brought to the club, inadvertantly or not, he still made himself the most hated person in the club''s history.

This was real. I rememeber the demonstrations very wel and was all for getting rid of him myself.

The club has not experienced such hostility towards one man/woman, before or since.

Maybe we were all carried away by the fact that the club was punching way above it''s weight.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Despite all the good times he brought to the club, inadvertantly or not, he still made himself the most hated person in the club''s history. This was real. I rememeber the demonstrations very wel and was all for getting rid of him myself. The club has not experienced such hostility towards one man/woman, before or since. Maybe we were all carried away by the fact that the club was punching way above it''s weight.[/quote]

Yep, any protests since have been extrremelt tame in comparison!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Despite all the good times he brought to the club, inadvertantly or not, he still made himself the most hated person in the club''s history. This was real. I rememeber the demonstrations very wel and was all for getting rid of him myself. The club has not experienced such hostility towards one man/woman, before or since. Maybe we were all carried away by the fact that the club was punching way above it''s weight.[/quote]

Yep and look what your demonstrations have brought.

A great level of mediocrity boardering on the abysmal.

Preferred the ups and downs of the Chase era. At least we had quality players for him to sell!! The only loans were the overdraft at the bank.

I still say the biggest problem was good old Barclays (with help) . Had they had a small vision of what the prem could have brought in revenue then perhaps calling in a smallish overdraft and forcing Chase to sell players to meet their demands,could have been avoided. Just didn''t do the right business plan and cash-flow forecasts I suppose.[;)] Wasn''t it the Barclays prem for a time. Ironic realy.

+1Remember the protests well in retrospect I was nieve, we marked the end of the time when if you had a good team you could compete.  Now its just money it is impossible for a Norwich to happen again more then one season all the players would have been bought by Jan even just to sit in the reserves of the top 4.I remember at the time somone said to me not to get too excited as apparently the Norwich squad where on good bonuses if they won which where like accumilators so the fantastic performances meant that actually Norwich players where getting a good whack when on a roll.  This meant that we didn''t have all the cash we thought we did.I would never ever buy a football team you work hard then spend you own money and us ungrateful lot demand you spend it all.  If by chance you are successfull you then make your own noose and you cannot even go shopping with your kids when this period ends.Football is the problem not Norwich: like shares, the housing market, toxic assets etc etc the money and debt as made all loose reality and we demand success.  I would be delighted to have some form of overhaul europe wide so that we can learn off the NFL and have sustainable success.Looking back if I was chase I would have just sold afte European qualification get out at the top.

You are right Butler but the fact remains that Chase did embark on the biggest period of asset stripping that the Club has ever known.

He refused to spend much at all in the end.

WE lost Martin O''Neill because of his refusal to sanction a relatively modest Dean Windass purchase.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]You are right Butler but the fact remains that Chase did embark on the biggest period of asset stripping that the Club has ever known. He refused to spend much at all in the end. WE lost Martin O''Neill because of his refusal to sanction a relatively modest Dean Windass purchase.[/quote]

That was not Chases direct fault. At that stage Barclays were calling in the overdraft. He did''t have the money, he wanted Windass, but with certain people in the background stirring the pot Barclays stayed firm.All the cars of O''Neils retinue were bought out of that same overdraft and had to be sold.

That was Chases problem, a long term strategy that bought land and buildings, a short term thinking that dealt on overdraft, the gab was  a blind spot for the mid term[:D]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]So you say he was buying land and buildings and cars and selling footballers. He took over a football club.[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]So you say he was buying land and buildings and cars and selling footballers. He took over a football club.[/quote]

Company cars for managers for the use of. Standard terms and conditions.

This club has LIVED on the superb land deals Chase did. Bought old flour mills etc cheap on reasonable finance as well. So did not take money that could have gone to the team. Without his "legacy" the club would have been in dire straits even sooner than it is.

Buying and selling footballers is what clubs like City have always done. In the later stages he was forced to sell (Ward etc) because the bank insisted.

He still left a better team than we have now!!

As usual the errors he made (and he made some good ones) got blown up and false rumours spread about, until he became a cross between Jack the ripper and the Sheriff of Nottingham. He had to go and with a push from certain directions he went.

I would gladly put up with the bad things he did for a taste of the great times at Carrow Road again.

I would much rather have a realy good bady to hiss and boo than some wishy washy ........that we can''t seem to build a head of steam against. Like hitting a wet sponge[:D]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"] the fact remains that Chase did embark on the biggest period of asset stripping that the Club has ever known. [/quote]I believe the period 2006 to date has seen far more of what you describe as ''asset stripping'' than we experienced whilst Chase was here.

Butler, you are quite right about Barclays. I think they did pull the plug too early. I often wonder why that was.

The man from Barclays who was the prime mover in that decision was a rabid Binner.

What a coincidence.

I can''t believe we are going down this road again. There is no comparison between football now and football in Chases time. I reckon the guy deserves a break now. Some of the stuff levelled at him at the time was totally outrageous but he brought some of it on himself. Similar to the situation we are in now except for one thing - I don''t believe that Chase had to continually put his life savings into the club to keep them afloat.

I always thought Sir Arthur was the man. Never before or since did we spend money on some of the best footballers in the country like he did. But he wouldn''t be any use today either. Not rich enough. End of.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="BroadstairsR"] the fact remains that Chase did embark on the biggest period of asset stripping that the Club has ever known. [/quote]

I believe the period 2006 to date has seen far more of what you describe as ''asset stripping'' than we experienced whilst Chase was here.
[/quote]

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself, it baffles me how this current lot have yet to face any real hostility over the way they have allowed the club to gradually decline to it''s current sorry level. For me they are even worse than Chase was, they may well be to poor to bankroll the club but they should have been looking to sell the club 3 or 4 years ago when it was obvious they didn''t have the funds to take the club forward. For me their biggest crime has been hanging on to the club far to long for their own gratification in spite of it being obvious that we were getting weaker every year, they would have found it far easier to find a buyer 3years ago than they will today.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I can''t believe we are going down this road again. There is no comparison between football now and football in Chases time. I reckon the guy deserves a break now. Some of the stuff levelled at him at the time was totally outrageous but he brought some of it on himself. Similar to the situation we are in now except for one thing - I don''t believe that Chase had to continually put his life savings into the club to keep them afloat.

I always thought Sir Arthur was the man. Never before or since did we spend money on some of the best footballers in the country like he did. But he wouldn''t be any use today either. Not rich enough. End of.

[/quote]

That was quick Nutty, you have leapt to her defence even though she wasn''t under attack.[;)]

You must tell me which telephone box you are changing into your Super Delia Defender outfit in, and are the underpants inside or out?[:D]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

That was quick Nutty, you have leapt to her defence even though she wasn''t under attack.[;)]

You must tell me which telephone box you are changing into your Super Delia Defender outfit in, and are the underpants inside or out?[:D]

[/quote]

Didn''t realise I was. I thought I was defending Big Bad Bob. Oh well.......

Must''ve forgotten to press button B [*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn''t realise I was. I thought I was defending Big Bad Bob. Oh well.......

Must''ve forgotten to press button B [*-)]

[/quote]

You can''t defend him that''s my job

Looking after Big Bad Bob

Your job is the Delia bint

And stopping her from going Skint

KEEP HAPPY

oops wrong thread[:P]

Big Bob
Big Bob

Every mornning at the club, you could see him arrive.
He stood 6 foot 1, weighed 245.
Kind of broad at the shoulders, and wide at the hip.
And everybody knew you didn''t give no lip to Big Bob.

Big Bob
Big Bob
Big Bad Bob
Big Bob

Nobody seemed to know when Bob went home
He was there all day even when everyone had gone.
He didn''t say much, kind of quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you''d just said hi to Big Bob.
Somebody said he came from coastal stones,
Where he got into a fight with Jimmy Jones.
And a crash and a blow from a huge right hand,
sent Fun Fair Jim to the promise land.

Big Bob
Big Bob
Big bad Bob
Big Bob

Then came the day that the bottom fell out,
Windass couldn‘t be bought and O‘Neil had a pout.
Players were praying, and hearts beat fast
and everybody thought they had breathed thier last
cept'' Bob.
Through dust and the smoke of this protest made hell,
walked a giant of a man that the players knew well.
He grabbed Gary Megson and we gave out with a groan,
and like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, Big Bob

Big Bob
Big Bob
Big Bad Bob
Big Bob

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

That much is self bloody evident![:@]

We won''t go down, seen it in my tea-leaves and also God loves Norwich City.  BACK THE BOYS, OTBC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell Earnie he can shove it up his mothers tea cosy [:)]