Sign in to follow this  
ncfcrule

East anglian derby second biggest rivalry in england!!!!

I think...

[8]"Always sh*t on the old blue and white" [;)]

But I can''t see how any rivalry can be bigger than Man Utd V Liverpool or Man. Utd V Leeds. There''s seriously disgraceful things go on between the fans at those games.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think...

But I can''t see how any rivalry can be bigger than Man Utd V Liverpool or Man. Utd V Leeds. There''s seriously disgraceful things go on between the fans at those games.

[/quote]

I dont really think a rivalry can be judged on how disgraceful the fans behaviour is.. The point is if you a Man Utd fan are your rivals Liverpool? Or Leeds? Or Man City? The fact they have so many rivals means the fans are divided as to who they hate the most, thats how they have come to the conclusion via this survey. We have no other local team who have spent enough time in the same division as us to build a rivalry making the rivalry with Ipsh*t that much more intense.

[quote user="Georgie Bless"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think...

[/quote]

I dont really think a rivalry can be judged on how disgraceful the fans behaviour is.. The point is if you a Man Utd fan are your rivals Liverpool? Or Leeds? Or Man City? The fact they have so many rivals means the fans are divided as to who they hate the most, thats how they have come to the conclusion via this survey. We have no other local team who have spent enough time in the same division as us to build a rivalry making the rivalry with Ipsh*t that much more intense.

[/quote]

That''s a good point and I don''t think Man. Utd return as much hatred to those clubs, it''s pretty much one way.

Don''t believe it myself. Sheff Weds v Sheff U, Man City v Manure, Spurs v Arsenil and Scousepool v Manure must all be more keenly contested than the Old Farm derby.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Don''t believe it myself. Sheff Weds v Sheff U, Man City v Manure, Spurs v Arsenil and Scousepool v Manure must all be more keenly contested than the Old Farm derby.[/quote]

An interesting point to combat certainly the premiership rivalries is that perhaps the reason why the report found that derbies such as the manchester derby and Liverpool Manure were less keenly contested than ours is because their supporters now don''t actually come from their respective cities. I believe the original reason for the hatred between Liverpool and Man Utd was historically because Manchester took the jobs from the Liverpool dockers and that combined with two sucessful teams formed the rivalry. Perhaps with the new breed of armchair fans from Dorset they do not appreciate the historical hatred between the two clubs. How many of the top premiership clubs are supported by the ''prawn sandwich brigade.'' They''re there simply to have a day out and to say that ''they were there'' rather than be a part of the occasion themselves.

And Sky are not even putting our match on tv! All they bloody care about is the premiership!

The survey said the top 10 biggest rivalries were:

1. West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers

2. Norwich City and Ipswich Town

3. Liverpool and Manchester United

4. Portsmouth and Southampton

5. Cardiff City and Swansea City

6. Aston Villa and Birmingham City

7. Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday

8. Bristol City and Bristol Rovers

9. Newcastle United and Sunderland

10. Brighton and Hove Albion and Crystal Palace

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Don''t believe it myself. Sheff Weds v Sheff U, Man City v Manure, Spurs v Arsenil and Scousepool v Manure must all be more keenly contested than the Old Farm derby.[/quote]

Dont agree at all.. To be keenly contested BOTH sets of fans have to consider the game the biggest in the season in my opinion. In modern football do Man Utd really care about Man City? Arsenal about Spurs? I really dont think they are as important as they used to be. The top 4 just want to beat the top 4 and have success in the champions league above all else as sad as it is..

I''m nopt surprised by that survey tbh, I always felt that Ipswich vs Norwich is one of the biggest derbies out there in England, alot of people outside of East Anglia undrerestimate our derby because of the lack of violence between the Norwich and Ipswich fans. Alot of people tend to rate how big a derby game is by it''s football violence, the likes of Swansea v Cardiif, Man U v Leeds and Newcastle v Sunderland always tend to end ip in a puch ups, but does that make it a big derby? Not at all, because after all the people who get involved in these fights are not your average season ticket holder die hard fan, it''s just the casusal supporter who turns up to 1 or 2 games a season in hope of a fight, so it doesn''t exactly reflect how big a derby game is IMO.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]I''m nopt surprised by that survey tbh, I always felt that Ipswich vs Norwich is one of the biggest derbies out there in England, alot of people outside of East Anglia undrerestimate our derby because of the lack of violence between the Norwich and Ipswich fans. Alot of people tend to rate how big a derby game is by it''s football violence, the likes of Swansea v Cardiif, Man U v Leeds and Newcastle v Sunderland always tend to end ip in a puch ups, but does that make it a big derby? Not at all, because after all the people who get involved in these fights are not your average season ticket holder die hard fan, it''s just the casusal supporter who turns up to 1 or 2 games a season in hope of a fight, so it doesn''t exactly reflect how big a derby game is IMO.[/quote]

I''ve seen many dust ups in the past between City and Town and the only thing keeping them from more bother is the strict control of match day kick off times and a massive police operation. Also the fact Norfolk and Suffolk police are well aware of the trouble makers and their movements unlike in the Bigger City Derbies where all the local loons will meet on suburbs well away. This doesn''t surprise me in the slightest as our rivalry is unique due ironically because of the distance between us. I''d say Pompey and Southampton are very similar in hatred as ours.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]I''m nopt surprised by that survey tbh, I always felt that Ipswich vs Norwich is one of the biggest derbies out there in England, alot of people outside of East Anglia undrerestimate our derby because of the lack of violence between the Norwich and Ipswich fans. Alot of people tend to rate how big a derby game is by it''s football violence, the likes of Swansea v Cardiif, Man U v Leeds and Newcastle v Sunderland always tend to end ip in a puch ups, but does that make it a big derby? Not at all, because after all the people who get involved in these fights are not your average season ticket holder die hard fan, it''s just the casusal supporter who turns up to 1 or 2 games a season in hope of a fight, so it doesn''t exactly reflect how big a derby game is IMO.[/quote]

The 12 City Fans in court in Leicester today are pretty much all season ticket holders by all accounts. Not sure how they got on but a lad i know said it didn''t look good for them....

I''m really pleased about this as we - i.e. all of us in East Anglia - always get forgotten about. At least the area is being recognised here! I recall having the derby referred to as the "sleepy" derby a few years back which really annoyed me!!!!!  I never have been able to work out how these big city clubs with another 5 or 6 local clubs around them can have the same intensity to a derby compared to the likes us our teams that are the only ''big'' teams in the area....  I am surprised about the WBA / Wolves result given the above comment - there''s Birmingham, Aston Villa and even Coventry....