Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

The multi ball system...

don''t get me wrong, i''m very pleased with Sheffield Uniteds win over Barnsley, but i do find this remarkable...

Barnsley boss Simon Davey on a touchline row at the end of the match:
"It was nothing. I was disappointed with the multi-ball system. That was the issue.

"When United scored their first goal all the balls disappeared. We had 24 when we were drawing and then there''s one in the stadium when we''re losing.

"I spoke to the referee and there were words exchanged, but it''s nothing."

surely this is cheating???

No idea what the official rules are but I do remember Everton doing this 2 or 3 years ago against Man U.    They actually showed one of the Everton backroom staff walking round the pitch with a ball bag and collecting them all from the ball boys.

[quote user="Duffman"]No idea what the official rules are but I do remember Everton doing this 2 or 3 years ago against Man U.    They actually showed one of the Everton backroom staff walking round the pitch with a ball bag and collecting them all from the ball boys.

[/quote]This could have been because the ref wasn''t happy though.

The reason was probably because once Sheffield Utd. were winning the ball boys ''accidently'' kept throwing extr balls back onto the pitch thus annoying the ref who told them just to use one one ball...

We used to do the same thing (collecting up the balls if we were winning).

Presumably by choice, this season we''ve just been using the "Hitler Method" (the single-ball system).

[quote user="Duffman"]No idea what the official rules are but I do remember Everton doing this 2 or 3 years ago against Man U.    They actually showed one of the Everton backroom staff walking round the pitch with a ball bag and collecting them all from the ball boys.

[/quote]

did everton win? or did Fergie point at his watch and get 9 hours added time at the end of the game so utd could win?

jas :)

[quote user="The 4th Official"]

[quote user="Duffman"]No idea what the official rules are ...

[/quote]

http://www.refworld.com/information/5/article/36/0

[/quote]

Love the page you get if you click on next. What the linesman / ref should do "in the event of mass confrontation situation".

Presumably based on last Sat the ref should run into the other half of the field completely unaware of the situation developing behind him. Trot back blowing his whistle frantically, then once it has calmed down, book two players so there is no comeback on him, irrespective of who shoved who to the ground!

I do recall JM complaining about the multiball system last season (funnily enough after a game at Bramell lane).  He wanted the system scrapped as it is open to abuse.  Apparantly it went to a FL vote last summer for this season and the proposal to officially outlaw its use was defeated as it did not get the majority required to implement a change (there was a majority but it did not reach the threshold).

Slightly off the thread of the post, but i do remember a evening (mid week) kick off at Portsmouth over ten years ago.  We were 1 - 0 down and in stoppage time, Norwich were pressing hard in search of an equaliser, when the ball went into the Pompey fans adjacent to a capacity following yellow army.  The fans simply refused to give the ball back, the ref was frustrated at this (as were 2000 travelling fans) so he asked for a replacement ball from the dug out.  This ball was never received, again the ref not impessed and after what seemed like an enternity got the ball back from a brave steward who had entered the crowd.  From the resulting Norwich throw in, which was into the Pompey penalty area, the ref blew his whistle and pointed to the spot, from which Eadie made it 1 - 1 with the last kick of the match... PRICELESS.