Sign in to follow this  
SI

Is the recession driving football clubs bust?

You devil SI. Are you sure your thread would not be more appropriately titled:

"Is The Driving Bust Causing Recession For Football Clubs?"

It will certainly play a part, especially in the lower leagues.  The Professional Footballers Association have already spent £550,000 this season paying the wages of footballers in the lower leagues (including one club in League One) whose clubs could not afford to pay them.  The  PFA say they are hopeful of getting some of it back but have already written off £250k.

I cannot say about Norwich but, in most places, club shop sales are well down and most clubs are already registering a drop in attendances.  Accrington Stanley, only recently returned to the FL, claim they need home gates of 2000 to simply break even.  Last Saturday''s attendance Accrington v Lincoln City (okay, not exactly a supreme attraction) produced a home crowd of 1139 of whom somewhere between 200-250 were Lincoln.

I think the recession will simply bring things forward.  I do expect to see some clubs disappear - at least out of professional football - within the next 18 months or so.  The FA/Football League have been aware of the financial disparity between the Premier riches and most of the rest of us but they don''t seem to care about it.

Mawhinney said only the other day that he didn''t know the situation of Football League clubs "because they don''t tell us."

They could, of course, ask.  But they don''t.

the problem is not the recession it is the historical imbalances within the football league. 

too much money at the top

too much money being spent on players / wages (over 100% of income in some cases)

this has never been sustainable it is just that now the economic tide has gone out and you can see who has been swimming without any trunks on.

TBH clubs who have been living completely outside their means deserve everything they get!

It''s about time the ''player power'' balance was redressed anyway. They nearly all earn far too much for what they do!

[quote user="spudgfsh"]

the problem is not the recession it is the historical imbalances within the football league. 

too much money at the top

too much money being spent on players / wages (over 100% of income in some cases)

this has never been sustainable it is just that now the economic tide has gone out and you can see who has been swimming without any trunks on.

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on Spud,  I like your analogy, (swimming without trunks on), lots of blushing to come when the finacial tide goes out methinks !

When and who suddenly decided to start paying utterly immoral and ridiculous wages to the players is the question we should ask. 

I think we need Marty to post to round the thread up nicely - to give it that depth we all look for.........[;)]

To answer your question I think boobies football clubs are going to suffer boobies alot of hardship during the recession. Just look at boobies Southampton. They''re on the verge of boobies some real trouble. Unfortunately none of the boobies premiership teams seem to be suffering any kind of boobies misfortunes, although the boobies bubble with burst eventually. Too many boobies of them are relying on rich sugar boobies daddies to bail them out with their boobies cash. The recession will hit these boobies people hard too so its only a matter of boobies time.

[quote user="Mr. Norwich City"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Mmmmmm........... Boobies........................
[/quote]

thinking the same

[/quote]

Aye,kind of hypnotic!

Hmmm, what?Sorry, I''ve been in a trance since yesterday morning, what have I missed....... oh wait, look at that sig... hmmm, anyway.... The recession and footy, certainly linked but boooooooooooooooobies...................................................Oh I give up!