Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Spillane and Martin will be important for us....

Both of those players have the ability to become heroes for Norwich, and with the exception of Shackell are the best things out of our youth team since Green, Bellamy and co....

In my opinion Spillane should be in that first team alongside Sammy Clingan, and we just have to hope that Spillane sees enough in Gunn to sign another contract. One thing for sure is that Spillane could walk into the managers office of any League One team and get a contract no questions asked.

Chris Martin has shown that he can score goals, for us and for Luton, which has to be a plus considering that him and Cody McDonald will be the only permanent strikers in our squad come summer.

Roeder said that it was time for new heroes, and then got rid of two players that can step up to that mantle. I for one hope that they become valuable city players for years to come.  Along with Cody McDonald.

Could these three young men give us something to sign ad cheer about next season?

Perhaps Mr Martin will have grown up now he''s been down to Luton, certainly been doing the business and looking as if he''s been looking after himself fitness wise; both good signs.

I''d have to see a lot more of them before I judge them to be academy products on a par with Bellers or Greeno.  Let''s face it, neither of them has had any more appearances in a Norwich shirt than the legend of Simon Lappin... mind you, not playing seems to be the way to get legend status these days!I''d imagine they''ll get a chance next season, but despite their relative success on the pitch at Luton they''ll  have to step it up and realise they still haven''t ''made it'', which is what seemed to happen to Martin the first time around...

I hope your right from what I''ve heard on here and from a luton fan i know Martin hasnt learned to much with regards to attitude, which has always been his problem. Spillane has alot of ability but he desperately imo needs to nail down a position which he is going to make his own, no one really knows is he a centre mid, centre back, right back? (He''s played them all for Luton and done well, but at our level he needs to be really getting to grips with one position or he''s in danger of becoming a jack of all trades master of none). For me at 6ft 2ins he really should be a centre back. Still hope he''ll sign that new contract.

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]Spillane hasnt singned his contract yet has he?
[/quote]

No, and my original post clearly states that Pele.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I hope your right from what I''ve heard on here and from a luton fan i know Martin hasnt learned to much with regards to attitude, which has always been his problem. Spillane has alot of ability but he desperately imo needs to nail down a position which he is going to make his own, no one really knows is he a centre mid, centre back, right back? (He''s played them all for Luton and done well, but at our level he needs to be really getting to grips with one position or he''s in danger of becoming a jack of all trades master of none). For me at 6ft 2ins he really should be a centre back. Still hope he''ll sign that new contract.[/quote]

All i''ve heard from Luton fans about Spillane is that he has been their best player this season, with some saying he will end up in the Premiership. He has played mostly at centre back for them, but has also been good in Midfield. I cant say I agree too much about him needing to have one position at this stage, if he can pass the ball like a centre midfielder and head the ball like a centre back then that makes him an awesome player all round. Dion Dublin was playing two positions for half of his career, Huckerby played up front for half of his and left wing for the other half, Chris Sutton started as a centre back and ended up a striker, Bellamy started as striker and has played on both wings and in midfield...... thats four of our best players of the last two decades.... The difference between Spillane and people like Daryl Sutch is that Spillane actually has bags of ability..... and he only played right back a few times because they had nobody else.

I agree about Martin though, but at the same time he is still young and as long as he keeps himself fit and shows that he wants to play, then I couldnt care less how mouthy he is. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd are full of jumped up arrogant players.... works for them.....  I have to emphasise though that I see Martin as a good squad player, sitting on the bench and getting the odd chance to impress, but I see Spillane as somebody with more passion and energy then any of our other centre midfielders and certainly more ability then Fozzy, Pattison and probably Russell. Everybody is ranting and raving about how good Clingan is, when we have a more physical version out on loan.

If we stay up, which is the only chance we have of keeping Clingan, I would love to see a Spillane and Clingan partnership. Or alternatively a Shackell - Spillane partnership at the back.

Can''t really see it.

As I''ve said on here in the past I think Martin has a bit of a chance because he has got that little bit of something special about him. He can twist and turn to create a chance. He''s still nothing outstanding but he has got some ability.

With Spillane I struggle to see more than some kind of backup defensive utility player. Never seen anything about him to really make me take notice of. Some people seem to think he could be the real deal for us, I wonder what the opinion of him would be if he was a player we''d loaned in from a Premier League. I doubt he''d be so highly thought of, we do have a habit of overrating some of our young players.

They''ll both come back from Luton better players but I still think they''ll be some way off what it takes to do the business in this league.

Hopefully the pair of them prove me wrong and put in loads of good performances for Norwich at this level but I''d be surprised if it happened. I''d hope we can bring in better players than that.

I certainly think Spillane has a future with us; whether as a defensive midfielder or a right-back. He''s relatively untried in midfield for Norwich but surely can''t be any worse than Fozzy, Patty or - dare I say it - Rusty. He looked very promising as a right-back when he first broke into the team and is surely better than Otsemebor.

As for Martin, well, I think he''s had his chance but....

He''s got another year left on his contract. We''ve got no strikers apart from Banjo Lad. I think either one or both of a lack of funds or being in League One will afford him one last crack. I don''t think he''ll do much though.

Hopefully they will get a chance with Norwich in the pre-season matches, and push on from there.

I cant see them being thrown straight into the squad, but they are handy assets to have in our situation where we will be losing 5/6 players returning to their parent clubs.

We''ve had Berty for 2 seasons now, does the ageing Drury go to LB, do we bring someone in, so we loan someone in, do we buy Berty, or do we raise a youth player to play LB??!!

[quote user="Largey"]

Hopefully they will get a chance with Norwich in the pre-season matches, and push on from there.

I cant see them being thrown straight into the squad, but they are handy assets to have in our situation where we will be losing 5/6 players returning to their parent clubs.

We''ve had Berty for 2 seasons now, does the ageing Drury go to LB, do we bring someone in, so we loan someone in, do we buy Berty, or do we raise a youth player to play LB??!!

[/quote]

The left back thing depends a lot on whether we go down mate, Drury has a contract until 2010 i think, and is without a doubt on a good whack. If we go down, I doubt that we could afford a second left back..... if we stay up, then do we try and get Bertrand yet again? he hasnt really improved enough to justify a premiership team going in for him..... so Chelsea reserves or Norwich? I suspect that Drury would be our left back in League One or Bertrand in the championship.

Personally I think that if given the left back spot again, Drury could do a good job if he stayed fit and got a run of games, his game was never pure pace..... more speed of reaction. He isnt that old, just needs to stay fit and get a run of games....