Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Simon Lappin wants new contract

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="rjwc22"]

He has been impressive in the last two games but it is hard to judge him solely on this run.

I think he has a lot to offer us, particularly if we cannot keep Bertrand.

[/quote]

He just is not big enough. He had a specific job to do at Birmingham which he did well enough but when forced off the ball the Birmingham goal resulted. He was nothing in the Sheffield game. He should move on.

[/quote]That was Carney.

[quote user="Grando"]Let''s face it, if a player of Lappin''s very middling quality is on even 2k a week (and I imagine it''s more) it demonstrates the craziness of football wages. Championship squad players should count themselves lucky to earn 50k a year, with some appearance bonuses etc. on top. Football needs to get real.[/quote]

I would want more than 50k a year to step out in front of 25,000 fans....... with every move getting scrutiny and every mistake booed..... thats £36,000 a year after tax.....

Afterall, there would be somebody else somewhere pocketing a hell of a lot of money.... a squad of 20 players would have a wage bill of £1m per year, against a lot more revenue..... those people would be the shareholders (i.e. chief executives).

All that would achieve is a sub standard league with anybody of any quality playing abroad, it would be more sensible to have a wage cap equivalent to gate reciepts.For example, if Norwich get £5m per year gate reciepts (estimated) then they have a wage cap of £5m, if QPR have gate reciepts of £2.5m (estimated) then they have a wage cap of £2.5m. The total ticket revenue for the previous year would dictate the clubs wage cap for the following year.

That way other revenues, e.g. merchandising, tv money etc etc..... can be used to pay debt, improve stadiums and give shareholder dividends, as well as purchase players. Clubs would have no excuse to be unsustainable and get into debt that way.

This would mean that the FA cup becomes important again for smaller cups (a cup run = more gate reciepts = that money can be used on a bigger wage budget following season).

It would also close the gap in quality between the premiership and the championship, e.g. Blackburn would have a similar wage cap to ours, tv money becomes less relevant, as they can only bring in players in line with their wage cap.

Manchester United would have the natural advantage in the premiership, but clubs like Fulham couldnt simply purchase promotions.......

It could be argued that we would see more 1 year contracts, as clubs want to see what their attendances are like, which is also positive and stops players happy to rot in a reserve team for two years because they cant get a better contract elsewhere *Ahem.... Lappin*

Anyway, just an idea. My problem isnt with how much footballers earn, its more with the way that they drain communities and football clubs, I couldnt care less if they are driving a new Porsche, as long as the clubs have the money to purchase players, finance debts and maintain stadiums..... Remember that a lot of the saved money would go back into the community to normal people, as clubs employ administrators, builders etc etc.... look at Ipswich laying off office staff because of their wage bill...... they would still be in a job.

A proportion of the money saved (and im talking approximately £3.5 million a year for Norwich alone) could be invested in youth teams, etc etc etc.....,

[quote user="PBTC"][quote user="Bobert"][quote user="rjwc22"]

He has been impressive in the last two games but it is hard to judge him solely on this run.

[/quote]

He just is not big enough. He had a specific job to do at Birmingham which he did well enough but when forced off the ball the Birmingham goal resulted. He was nothing in the Sheffield game. He should move on.

[/quote]

That was Carney.
[/quote]

Well thanks for putting me right. I was sitting no more than 50 paces from the incident and I thought it was Lappin. Lousy glasses and getting old!

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="PBTC"][quote user="Bobert"][quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was Carney.
[/quote]

Well thanks for putting me right. I was sitting no more than 50 paces from the incident and I thought it was Lappin. Lousy glasses and getting old!

[/quote]

There doing free eye tests at D&A mate (you could always take your free eye test results to specsavers and get two for one!)

[quote user="shyster"]The stupidity of you people is absolutely staggering! You obviously failed to realise that the only reason Lappin is still at this club is because nobody else wanted, nor wants him - not even a 3rd or 4th Division club on loan!This below average professional footballer is paid thousands in sterling each week to simply train, puts in one decent-ish performance and suddenly he''s a world beater who seriously believes he warrants even more free thousands! And in the current economical climate ffs!If I were in charge I''d pay what''s due and tell him to f*ck off to Arbroath.[/quote]Spot on Shyster [Y]We''re in the position we are now because of our continuing strategy of signing below average plodders like Simon Lappin. If he was allowed to operate in an area on the left wing about thirty to forty yards out surrounded by a crocodile filled moat to stop players closing him down he might be OK. Unfortunately I fear this may be slightly against the rules.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="Grando"]Let''s face it, if a player of Lappin''s very middling quality is on even 2k a week (and I imagine it''s more) it demonstrates the craziness of football wages. Championship squad players should count themselves lucky to earn 50k a year, with some appearance bonuses etc. on top. Football needs to get real.[/quote]

I would want more than 50k a year to step out in front of 25,000 fans....... with every move getting scrutiny and every mistake booed..... thats £36,000 a year after tax.....

[/quote]Well I''d happily turn out for City for £50k a year! Don''t think I''ll bring much to the squad though apart from making Lappin et al look like worldbeaters!