Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Simon Lappin wants new contract

I feel Lappin could be a huge player for us if he played regularly. I would like to see him play - especially in his proper position. He would be a good threat pinging crosses onto the head of Alan Lee!(And I''ve not heard anything about Croft wanting to sing a contract, only that one has been put on the table?)

i think he is a good playerworth a contract, interesting point there about lappin feeding lee,i still think that lappin feeding cort would work as well because he is handy on the head, but i see your point.

I think he certainly still has to earn it from now until the end of the season. He''s been out of the squad for ages. He''s so far had one good game. So far, that does not warrant another contract.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think he certainly still has to earn it from now until the end of the season. He''s been out of the squad for ages. He''s so far had one good game. So far, that does not warrant another contract.
[/quote]

Agree. Our days of giving out cheap contracts should be over. Only if he''s worth it, and proves that by the end of the season.

Give the man a bloody contract! He deserves one purely for putting up with a years worth of unreasonable Roeder crap! Plus he''s not a bad player.

When the loan players all go back we will be left with a very very thin squad again - so can''t afford to not offer contracts to perfectly good players that we already own.

He has been impressive in the last two games but it is hard to judge him solely on this run.

I think he has a lot to offer us, particularly if we cannot keep Bertrand.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

He has been impressive in the last two games but it is hard to judge him solely on this run.

[/quote]

Drury will be here aswell so theres to covers at left back next season

[quote user="AJ"]I feel Lappin could be a huge player for us if he played regularly. I would like to see him play - especially in his proper position. He would be a good threat pinging crosses onto the head of Alan Lee!(And I''ve not heard anything about Croft wanting to sing a contract, only that one has been put on the table?)[/quote]Oops - I read the headline about Lee wanting a contract and assumed Croft, that''s that big bloke up front Alan Lee.  Like I say, Oops ! [:)]

Although not over-impressed, I don''t think we have seen the best of Simon Lappin.

With, a regular and correctly asigned role in the team, he could become quite useful.

You could say this about most players, but his crossing is useful.

Whilst being one of those who voiced my wish for Lappin to be reinstated,

I think he will do his cause much better if he "played" himself into a new contract , I don''t think Gunny will appreciate his tactics of  touting himself through the local press..

But good luck to him, I think he will do well for us.

He''s a midfield player who can pass a ball, take a good freekick, a decent corner, keep things ticking along and shoot from distance. He also wants to play for the club.

Give him another contract.

if we get relegated, depending on who leaves in the summer, Simon could become a first team regular...

jas :)

Chelsea stormed back tonight against Liverpool from set pieces - we need to make more of them in our remaining games and Lappin will play his part I''m sure. Forget work rate a moment - we need to score goals and for that we need chances to be created - and we no longer have Bell as provider. I suspect Lappin will have to take a significant drop in wages (if Camuldon''s comments a while back are correct)  - but if he''s prepared to be realistic, I''d have him like a shot. He''s not perfect but he is quality.

[quote user="Binky"]Chelsea stormed back tonight against Liverpool from set pieces - we need to make more of them in our remaining games and Lappin will play his part I''m sure. Forget work rate a moment - we need to score goals and for that we need chances to be created - and we no longer have Bell as provider. I suspect Lappin will have to take a significant drop in wages (if Camuldon''s comments a while back are correct)  - but if he''s prepared to be realistic, I''d have him like a shot. He''s not perfect but he is quality.
[/quote]

joke posts,Lappin slow ,lightweight ,overpaid and over-rated he had a long run under grant and was inept to say the least a mediocre scottish 1st div player ,if we give him another contract Gunn is as stupid as those who have gone before him!This bloke will never be a regular first team player because he simply has not got the attributes to cut it consitantley at this level he would not stand out in lg1,is this how far we have fallen that we are falling over ourselves to resign a bloke cos he "tried hard"and was"loyal" -utter tosh loyalty comes at a price and he lined his pockets to the tune of 8k a week knowing he would never earn that money anywhere else ever again!Cant blame the fella if we were stupid enough to give him such a way over the top deal cant blame him for seeing it out !..........lets just not repeat the mistake!

[quote user="hugoagogo"]

[quote user="Binky"]Chelsea stormed back tonight against Liverpool from set pieces - we need to make more of them in our remaining games and Lappin will play his part I''m sure. Forget work rate a moment - we need to score goals and for that we need chances to be created - and we no longer have Bell as provider. I suspect Lappin will have to take a significant drop in wages (if Camuldon''s comments a while back are correct)  - but if he''s prepared to be realistic, I''d have him like a shot. He''s not perfect but he is quality. [/quote]

joke posts,Lappin slow ,lightweight ,overpaid and over-rated he had a long run under grant and was inept to say the least a mediocre scottish 1st div player ,if we give him another contract Gunn is as stupid as those who have gone before him!This bloke will never be a regular first team player because he simply has not got the attributes to cut it consitantley at this level he would not stand out in lg1,is this how far we have fallen that we are falling over ourselves to resign a bloke cos he "tried hard"and was"loyal" -utter tosh loyalty comes at a price and he lined his pockets to the tune of 8k a week knowing he would never earn that money anywhere else ever again!Cant blame the fella if we were stupid enough to give him such a way over the top deal cant blame him for seeing it out !..........lets just not repeat the mistake!

[/quote]Hesitate to respond - because I''m not sure I understand all you say. But on the contrary, I think he will cut it at this level a darn sight better than the likes of certain other midfielders who may or may not play for us again. Under both Grant and Roeder Lappine was asked to play out of postion at left back - and got criticised for his pains by all seeing chaps like you. Read up the match report for the Saturday before the infamous Plymouth game. It was a 2-2 draw against Ipswich in GR''s first game in charge. Lappin made one goal and saved us from a defeat by clearing off the line near the end. On saturday Shackell got a header on target from one of his corners - and who knows what might have been had Lee come on earliier? If he continues to play I think Crook s much as Gunn may be responsible for that.

whats not to understand imo the fella aint good enough ,he has got rich out of our football club and put very little in .

people have short memorys

so what is his best position then cos i aint seen him find one yet and i thought good players could play anywhere?

if your pining ur hopes on him then im afraid imo you will be very disappointed!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Well, he won''t find a new contract in Morrisons at Dereham.....[/quote]He most certainly will not!

The stupidity of you people is absolutely staggering! You obviously failed to realise that the only reason Lappin is still at this club is because nobody else wanted, nor wants him - not even a 3rd or 4th Division club on loan!This below average professional footballer is paid thousands in sterling each week to simply train, puts in one decent-ish performance and suddenly he''s a world beater who seriously believes he warrants even more free thousands! And in the current economical climate ffs!If I were in charge I''d pay what''s due and tell him to f*ck off to Arbroath.

[quote user="hugoagogo"]utter tosh loyalty comes at a price and he lined his pockets to the tune of 8k a week[/quote]Where did you get that figure from hugo? He was signed by Peter Grant in the same window that he signed Curo who is on £5k per week so I can''t see Lappin on more!

[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]

He just is not big enough. He had a specific job to do at Birmingham which he did well enough but when forced off the ball the Birmingham goal resulted. He was nothing in the Sheffield game. He should move on.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="hugoagogo"]utter tosh loyalty comes at a price and he lined his pockets to the tune of 8k a week[/quote]Where did you get that figure from hugo? He was signed by Peter Grant in the same window that he signed Curo who is on £5k per week so I can''t see Lappin on more![/quote]

Wher do these figures come from ?

Reliable sources maybe ?

[quote user="shyster"]The stupidity of you people is absolutely staggering!

You obviously failed to realise that the only reason Lappin is still at this club is because nobody else wanted, nor wants him - not even a 3rd or 4th Division club on loan!

[/quote]

and yet he went to a Scottish premier league side and scored the winner against Celtic....

no sir, it is YOU who knows nothing.

If Simon Lappin leaves he will go back to the scottish Premier, if the supposedly "good" Lee Croft stays he could be a league 1 footballer next season..

playing at Ibrox or playing at Tranmere..... i know which one i''d want.

jas :)

there is certainly debate to whether lappin is good enough for the championship, but imo he is more then good enough for league one, so as thats where were heading then it may be a good idea to offer him a contract.

a midfield of     croft, russell, clingan, lappin should certainly see us mount a play off challenge. Lappin should not be judged on 2 games in 18 months !

Let''s face it, if a player of Lappin''s very middling quality is on even 2k a week (and I imagine it''s more) it demonstrates the craziness of football wages. Championship squad players should count themselves lucky to earn 50k a year, with some appearance bonuses etc. on top.

Football needs to get real.

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="hugoagogo"]utter tosh loyalty comes at a price and he lined his pockets to the tune of 8k a week[/quote]Where did you get that figure from hugo? He was signed by Peter Grant in the same window that he signed Curo who is on £5k per week so I can''t see Lappin on more![/quote]

Wher do these figures come from ?

Reliable sources maybe ?[/quote]I think it was Cam who said that Curo was on £2k at Colchester and was offered more than double that to come back here Jim. The assumption then was that the figure was £5k. Seems feasible since he had been awarded the golden boot for the previous season in the Championship and cost us around £800k. Conversely, Lappin cost £75k from St Mirren so I just can''t see his wages being higher than Curo''s.