Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Russell - asset or liability?

Russell is back from suspension and available for selection today, but is he an asset or a liability?  Personally I feel he is so easily wound up, and therefore an easy target for the opposition, that I would be inclined to leave him out of the starting line up and put him on the bench.  There is no doubting his commitment to Norwich, but the number of silly red cards he has picked up is always a worry.

hes full of energy , when he has a good game hes a good player , when he has a bad game he could cost you dearly .

i would rather play lapin in the middle , and bring russell on if things were not going to plan .

verdict .. i think hes a bit of a liability .

If it''s a choice between Rusty and any one from Lappin, Fozzy, Pattison or Carney, Darel wins hands down for me on every time!

Asset.

Feel a bit sorry for him in some ways, it must have been a frustrating season for him. He''s done a job when he''s been asked to (e.g. playing upfront) yet he''s been overlooked at other times in favour of weaker players.

Like any player at this level (at any level) he has his faults but I think we''d have given Wednesday a bit more of a battle if he had been playing.

He''s both. His aggression is what makes him a half-decent midfielder, and it''s also his vulnerability.  If he can focus his aggression, he''s better than Lappin in the middle.  If he loses it, he should be dropped.

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"]He''s both. His aggression is what makes him a half-decent midfielder, and it''s also his vulnerability.  If he can focus his aggression, he''s better than Lappin in the middle.  If he loses it, he should be dropped.

[/quote]

Largely agree.He has very little skill but, if he can channel his aggression he could do a very important job. Unfortunately he doesn''t come across as too bright in a footballing sense and is too easily wound up. The sending off against Plymouth illustrates this very well. Having been booked ( perhaps harshly) he then made a shocking late tackle which the ref somehow ignored, but, rather than count his blessings he then wrestled a player to the floor in a dangerous position to concede a needless free kick and ensure an early bath.

Deja vue going on here, i''m sure I answered a post identical to this about 10 days ago.

Go back to around about Christmas time and people were tipping Rusty for player of the season along with the Doc...

I''d play him, but if he gets booked for dissent during the game or is on a knife-edge due to persistent fouling or arguing,  I would immediately take him off rather than risk a sending off.  Gunn should have replaced him before he was sent off last time as it was pretty obvious that a second booking was on the cards with his constant arguing with the referee.

Russell booked yet again and given final warning by ref.  If Gunn doesn''t take him off then we will be playing with ten men.

When Russell comes up against a player similar to himself, he cannot handle his temper.

If i was the opposition manager, Id be eyeing up trying to annoy him throughout the game, as you know he will just lose it.

Other than that, he is an asset. Creative and strong.

The thing I don''t like about Russell is that he has no real attributes about him to make him a top midfielder. He''s not a defensive midfielder, like Sammy Clingan, because he isn''t very good at defending. I wouldn''t class him as an attacking midfielder who is going to chip in with 8-10 goals a season, because, on most occasions, he can''t seem to shoot, and doesn''t make those runs into the box that we saw so often with Damien Francis. So what is he?