Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Archant: Why is everybody a 'star'?

This is something that really bugs me about Archant, every Norwich article refers to a ''Star''

We haven''t got any ''Stars'', we have ''Players''.

On Lee Croft:-  "But after a full week of training, the former Manchester City star, who is out of contract at the end of the season" - Jonathan Redhead

Now, im no journalist, Lee Croft has ever been a ''Manchester City Star'', he was nothing but a youth team player that got a few games and then got sold to a championship team. If you called Robinho a ''Manchester City Star'' you could probably justify that. 

Thats not the only sensationalist journalism though is it?

On Korey Smith: "the City boss believes there''s more to come from his midfield dynamo" - When has Bryan Gunn ever called Korey Smith ''his midfield dynamo?''

This club doesnt have any stars, you probably could have called Huckerby a Norwich star for a couple of years, other then that, the phrase is clearly overused.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

This is something that really bugs me about Archant, every Norwich article refers to a ''Star''

On Lee Croft:-  "But after a full week of training, the former Manchester City star, who is out of contract at the end of the season" - Jonathan Redhead

Now, im no journalist, Lee Croft has ever been a ''Manchester City Star'', he was nothing but a youth team player that got a few games and then got sold to a championship team. If you called Robinho a ''Manchester City Star'' you could probably justify that. 

On Korey Smith: "the City boss believes there''s more to come from his midfield dynamo" - When has Bryan Gunn ever called Korey Smith ''his midfield dynamo?''

This club doesnt have any stars, you probably could have called Huckerby a Norwich star for a couple of years, other then that, the phrase is clearly overused.

[/quote]

It''s not really sensational.  It''s "format journalese".  It''s okay if you are talking about most of the Premier League but it certainly devalues the word "star".  In short, it is quite possibly an attempt to big up a fairly mundane story or, dare I say it, put a bit of spin on it.  Should you do that for a local paper?  Probably not.

There is a perception that readers think it is boring if you do stuff dead straight.  I personally disagree but it is possibly an old fashioned view. 

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

It''s not really sensational.  It''s "format journalese".  It''s okay if you are talking about most of the Premier League but it certainly devalues the word "star".  In short, it is quite possibly an attempt to big up a fairly mundane story or, dare I say it, put a bit of spin on it.  Should you do that for a local paper?  Probably not.

There is a perception that readers think it is boring if you do stuff dead straight.  I personally disagree but it is possibly an old fashioned view. 

[/quote]I used to really hate those teletext headlines: Norwich to loose midfield ace - when Norwich let Jarrett go . . . hardly ever an ace . . . .

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s it for the English language then ''star''.

But I see you''ve cottoned on to ''big up''. 

One love. To the world.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we were top of the league, they would all be stars in my eyes, but when you are one point above the relegation zone and actually only own 2 or 3 half decent players, it gets very tiresome!

i think most people would agree that Darren Huckerby was our very own ''star'' for a few years, big fish in a small pond and turning down contract after contract to stay, but I cant say that we have had true ''star'' since we won the league....... and even then, two of the biggest ''stars'' in my eyes were released (Malky and Iwan)......

I think its a word that should come with achievement, if you get promoted then yeah your a star, if your a Norwich player at the world cup then yeah your a star, if norwich win the league cup then yeah there stars......

But i have never known a time when norwich players have been anything further from stars! I just feel that calling footballers such flattering things after losing the last game, doesnt do much to deflate their already big egos...... maybe we all bring it on ourselves? 

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I used to really hate those teletext headlines: Norwich to loose midfield ace - when Norwich let Jarrett go . . . hardly ever an ace . . . .

[/quote]

Completely agree with this entire thread. Why do the EEN et al title players that were quite frankly dog siht, ''stars'' and ''aces''. I don''t get it, and it''s certainly not representative of the said players'' ability.

[quote user="Hoolahoop"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I used to really hate those teletext headlines: Norwich to loose midfield ace - when Norwich let Jarrett go . . . hardly ever an ace . . . .

[/quote]

Completely agree with this entire thread. Why do the EEN et al title players that were quite frankly dog siht, ''stars'' and ''aces''. I don''t get it, and it''s certainly not representative of the said players'' ability.

[/quote]

because Toes must not be tread on at Carrow Road/Colney.. plus they are aiming their news report at 8 year olds.. who are porbably the only people left who read the biased guff they print about the club now.

jas :)