Sign in to follow this  
wolfinbottle

Behind the team

You hear it on Canary all and you read it in the papers. There is always somebody telling us how important it is to "get behind the team".Er... I think everyone of us already IS. That is clear when you look at the attendance figures. Almost capacity crowds for every home game. And the perennial away supporters that earn a good name for the club, on the whole.So why the need to keep on about backing the team? It is beyond boring now; it is insulting to be told that we are not doing enough.As for singing and cheering for the whole 90 minutes, that is a two way thing. I find it hard to keep singing after watching the thousandth pass go astray. It is difficult to suppress a groan after watching yet another dismal defence for a set piece play.I think that every one of us is right behind the team, but the team must throw us a lifeline. If they see that standing off and letting the players come on to them is not working they should change their tactics in mid-game. They should adapt their style to the circumstances at the time - not rigidly follow the Colney routine where the opposition is made up of your own squad mates.I am 100% behind the boys, as no doubt we all are.But to keep on harping on about it? Please, no more.

I heard Pat Nevin commentating on the game between Man City and Fulham and his comments were that if the team performs the fans will get behind the team. I think that is the case for us aswell,why is it we have to motivate the team all the time!

In my job I don''t have 25,000 people motivating me to sell,some of their motivation has to come from within whatever their character! Do they have no personal pride for the level of their performance whether they like the manager or whether its a home or an away game!

They get well paid and are in a privilleged position,surely they can take some criticism if they don''t perform. Thay are in a competitve industry,when are they going to start COMPETING? The manager has a role to motivate but the players have to be self starters!

I think there are two reasons that the "Get behind the team" mantra is repeated so often.

1) We MUST win games to stay up now. Booing and venting can be constructive in some circumstances, but at this stage of the season it won''t help anyone except our opponents. Booing is counter-productive, silence usually results in the team playing with nerves and tension, whereas getting behind them, more often than not, produces better performances.

2) What else can we as fans do to help? We''ve collectively been putting our money where our mouths are for a long time. If I can look at myself in the mirror and say I have done EVERYTHING possible to help then I can sleep easy whichever division we are in next year. Even if I have to give my vocal chords to achieve that.

Whether the players care is not something I can affect. They won''t be here after I am anyway. I am just one of 25,000 who can do very little to help, but I am one who will not be found wanting in terms of putting in whatever I can.