Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

FAN'S EYE - Spare us the excuses please Bryan

i don''t ever remember reading or hearing anywhere that gunn blames the whole of our season on referees! yes we''ve been bad this season and thats down to the poor players we have at our club but at this stage of the season EVERY point counts i don''t care how crap we play if we can nick a point from anybody i don''t care about the reasons behind it

So in short a rubbish article...i really wonder who these colomists support sometimes!?

Does anyone else agree???

Yes the article is kind of harsh, but Gunny has moaned and whined about Ref''s one too many times, it would be interesting to see which managers of any club moan at least every match about one ref decision or another.  Moaning about them won''t change the outcome of a match, if he has a complaint he doesn''t need to whinge about it every five minutes, he should put in a complaint.

Gunny''s concentration should be mainly on the match itself and how the players performed IMHO.

Yeah, I''m struggling with this one. Is Gunny not allowed to comment on referees decisions. I didn''t see anywhere where he blamed our whole season on them. I don''t believe our bad season is down to poor refereeing decisions, and I don''t know anyone who does. But there seems to be a school of thought where we should deny these decisions happen and I don''t believe that''s right either. I believe that we have had an extremely bad run of refs decisions this season and it would be a fool who doesn''t recognise they have had an affect just like it would be a fool who blamed them for our whole season.

I also believe the international break had an affect, not that it disrupted any momentum or anything, but that our best central midfielder was spent before we started. We had other options, if they are still at the club, particularly Fotheringham, so if we want to level criticism at Gunny maybe team selection would be a place to start? But I that would go against the grain.

But to be fair, these columns are only fans having their say, nothing more and nothing less. Maybe they should share it around, I''d like to suggest Wiz gets a turn next week[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But to be fair, these columns are only fans having their say, nothing more and nothing less. Maybe they should share it around, I''d like to suggest Wiz gets a turn next week[;)]

[/quote]

Noooooooooooooooooo[:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]"When Bryan Gunn was appointed, I''ll hold my hands up and confess that I thought he was the wrong man for the job.  By Tuesday, I was more optimistic and thought he''d keep us up.  He is, after all a city legend.  On Wednesday, I had an epiphany that Gunny was just a glove puppet for the board, the silly bald-headed stooge, but on Thursday I reminded myself that nobody could love the club more than Bryan, (apart from me obviously) and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  But on Friday when he dropped Jamie Lad, I was apoplectic, then relieved, then surprised, then shocked, then sanguine, then proud, then shocked again and finally when we beat Plymouth 1-0 I was angry and then pleased, then saddened and then elated."

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="nutty nigel"] But to be fair, these columns are only fans having their say, nothing more and nothing less. Maybe they should share it around, I''d like to suggest Wiz gets a turn next week[;)][/quote]"When Bryan Gunn was appointed, I''ll hold my hands up and confess that I thought he was the wrong man for the job.  By Tuesday, I was more optimistic and thought he''d keep us up.  He is, after all a city legend.  On Wednesday, I had an epiphany that Gunny was just a glove puppet for the board, the silly bald-headed stooge, but on Thursday I reminded myself that nobody could love the club more than Bryan, (apart from me obviously) and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  But on Friday when he dropped Jamie Lad, I was apoplectic, then relieved, then surprised, then shocked, then sanguine, then proud, then shocked again and finally when we beat Plymouth 1-0 I was angry and then pleased, then saddened and then elated."[/quote]But wiz has is always constant about one thing, his hate for Delia Smith..........

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/335733/ShowPost.aspx

I have to agree largely with Nutty, I haven''t seen anywhere where Bryan has blamed the referees for our position in the league, but he (like many other managers) will use the poor referring displays if it means he doesn''t have to lay into his players. He''s not alone in that tactic.

The two week break thing though I agree with Adam. It didn''t affect Sheff Wed, or many other teams. If the team couldn''t be motivated for winning at home against a team with little to play for that''s the fault of them and the management, not the officials.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="nutty nigel"] But to be fair, these columns are only fans having their say, nothing more and nothing less. Maybe they should share it around, I''d like to suggest Wiz gets a turn next week[;)][/quote]"When Bryan Gunn was appointed, I''ll hold my hands up and confess that I thought he was the wrong man for the job.  By Tuesday, I was more optimistic and thought he''d keep us up.  He is, after all a city legend.  On Wednesday, I had an epiphany that Gunny was just a glove puppet for the board, the silly bald-headed stooge, but on Thursday I reminded myself that nobody could love the club more than Bryan, (apart from me obviously) and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  But on Friday when he dropped Jamie Lad, I was apoplectic, then relieved, then surprised, then shocked, then sanguine, then proud, then shocked again and finally when we beat Plymouth 1-0 I was angry and then pleased, then saddened and then elated."[/quote]But wiz has is always constant about one thing, his hate for Delia Smith..........

[/quote]

I''m flattered that you can be rat arsed to bring back my 5 year old posts, and a statue of Delia does has its merits.............at least the pigeons would have a new toilet! [:|]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Can''t blame the Ref today.....Wonder who/what he does blame - for the defeat?

[/quote]

The lawnmower man.....

[quote user="london Canary"]

i don''t ever remember reading or hearing anywhere that gunn blames the whole of our season on referees! yes we''ve been bad this season and thats down to the poor players we have at our club but at this stage of the season EVERY point counts i don''t care how crap we play if we can nick a point from anybody i don''t care about the reasons behind it

So in short a rubbish article...i really wonder who these colomists support sometimes!?

Does anyone else agree???

[/quote]

London . . . I don''t believe Gunny is blaming the entire season''s problems on refs, and I didn''t actually say that in the column (although I do accept that phrases like "It isn''t the fault of the officials that we''re in a mess" could be construed that way).

The point I was trying to make was that all too often, a couple of ref''s mistakes have been the dominant feature during the post-match analysis, and it happened again after last week''s Wednesday defeat. Yes, it was arguable that the ref made a poor decision, but we''d lost the game a long time before that.

PS: In case you are still wondering, I support City!

Joe, Nutty, Gazza . . . Again, I take your points on boad, but I''m not saying Gunny should either slate the players in public, nor is he alone among managers in blaming the refs. Nutty, I agree we''ve had a run of poor refs, but I think pretty much every Championship supporter would say the same thing this year.

The first rule of journalism, if you believe what you wrote, is not to start bleedin'' apologising to anyone for it afterwards but to defend it if necessary.

Otherwise don''t write it.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

The first rule of journalism, if you believe what you wrote, is not to start bleedin'' apologising to anyone for it afterwards but to defend it if necessary.

[/quote]

[|-)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

I''m flattered that you can be rat arsed to bring back my 5 year old posts, and a statue of Delia does has its merits.............at least the pigeons would have a new toilet! [:|]

[/quote]

As some posters appear to have on here.....you and Delia are as one!

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wizard has a sweetheart! Wizard has a sweetheart!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But regrettably not a trustworthy one.[:O]

[/quote]

No. Thats the first rule of being so far up your own arse that you''re not prepared to debate your views with other fans. Because Mr Aitken is a fan rather than a sports journalist, he is willing to enter into dialogue with other supporters, and I for one find that commendable.

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

"When Bryan Gunn was appointed, I''ll hold my hands up and confess that I thought he was the wrong man for the job.  By Tuesday, I was more optimistic and thought he''d keep us up.  He is, after all a city legend.  On Wednesday, I had an epiphany that Gunny was just a glove puppet for the board, the silly bald-headed stooge, but on Thursday I reminded myself that nobody could love the club more than Bryan, (apart from me obviously) and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  But on Friday when he dropped Jamie Lad, I was apoplectic, then relieved, then surprised, then shocked, then sanguine, then proud, then shocked again and finally when we beat Plymouth 1-0 I was angry and then pleased, then saddened and then elated."

[/quote]

Coming from the man who keeps changing his username, thats a bit rich![;)]

[quote user="mavis enderby"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

No. Thats the first rule of being so far up your own arse that you''re not prepared to debate your views with other fans. Because Mr Aitken is a fan rather than a sports journalist, he is willing to enter into dialogue with other supporters, and I for one find that commendable.

[/quote]

And here is Cameldung.... 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Tis true folks...............and she''s called Mrs Wiz.[W]

London . . . I don''t believe Gunny is blaming the entire season''s problems on refs, and I didn''t actually say that in the column (although I do accept that phrases like "It isn''t the fault of the officials that we''re in a mess" could be construed that way).

The point I was trying to make was that all too often, a couple of ref''s mistakes have been the dominant feature during the post-match analysis, and it happened again after last week''s Wednesday defeat. Yes, it was arguable that the ref made a poor decision, but we''d lost the game a long time before that.

PS: In case you are still wondering, I support City!

Joe, Nutty, Gazza . . . Again, I take your points on boad, but I''m not saying Gunny should either slate the players in public, nor is he alone among managers in blaming the refs. Nutty, I agree we''ve had a run of poor refs, but I think pretty much every Championship supporter would say the same thing this year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for your reply.... fan''s eye. I know we had lost the sheff wed game before the ref decision and i know we were awful (it was one of the few games ive been to this year as i live in the capitol so don''t get back to often) but my point is if that goal had been aloud there was a very good chance that we would have "nicked" a point. What do you want gunn to say? "We were crap and didn''t deserve any points so i''m glad we came away with nothing" (ok, maybe a little OTT but you get my point) At this stage we need all the points we can get....i don''t care how we get them. We aren''t in any position to be making demands about being the better team and getting all three points, when did that last happen by the way?! Can i also add that this is proberly a build up of many weeks of bad decisions, the gary doc red card springs to mind which was later withdrawn, what good is that to us after the game we needed him on the pitch! i''m sure gunn would rather not talk about the blooming ref after the game.

Just a point about todays post match interview he doesn''t mention the ref at all ; )

I wasn''t happy when we hired gunn as manager, and completly feel it is the "cheap" option but i won''t hold gunn responsible if we go down i will put the blame fully on the board for appointing him, and appointing roeder before that..... I feel gunn is doing a good job concidering the restraints around him.

ON THE BALL CITY!!

[/quote]

You really are a pillock, aren''t you. I couldn''t see Aiken "bleedin'' apologising" for anything. He was entering into a debate on this board about his column. Which if you ask me seems a pretty reasonable thing to do. What has happened to make you so insecure about yourself that you feel the need to have to spout non-stop criticism of other people even though the common held view is that your own talent is no more than medicore?