Sign in to follow this  
Yarmouthyellow1

Atmosphere/support at Carrow Road - A plea

Apologies I know I have expressed some of these views previously but always tagged on to somebody else''s thread.  I feel so strongly about this though that I thought I''d start my own.

There seems to be a significant number of threads in the past week or so lamenting the lack of passion in our singing, the spoiling of the way traditional songs are sung (ridculously fast speed, missing the ending of OTBC etc) and the difficulty in starting new songs etc.  So the question is rather than keep raising this as an observation but otherwise accepting it and the atmosphere gradually deteriorating, how can we do something about it?  I don''t know how many read this board but surely there must be enough to start influencing things around Carrow Road, particularly as the common feeling seems to be that things are deteriorating.  I rememember fanzines like ICDAT and FCTW (''Muppets don''t sing so fast'') lamenting the way songs were being spoilt.  

I agreed then and I still do and I hate to say it but I fear there will be very few songs that are sung properly and so sustainably in the not too distant future.  We can get a wonderful atmosphere but I feel it is too infrequent due to difficulty sustaining any songs because of the speed at which they are sung.  Listen to yellow army become yarmyyarmyyarmy today.  Listen to people struggling to get NCFC in between Bryan Gunn''s green and yellow army (it''s sung that fast that many people seem to have reduced the song to Bryan Gunn''s yellow army!) and the speed of OTBC etc and you''ll see what I mean and then tell me if I''m wrong and if you think any of this is an improvement.  Can we really not just calm down a bit, use some self restraint and sing with passion rather than like a load of excitable children??  Sorry if that''s hrsh but it''s how it sounds to me.

Sing your hearts out for the lads (sung at important times when the players needed a lift), Oh when the greens (slow and sustained), Wings of a sparrow, I can drive a tractor, My old man, The Ciiity (3 claps), Norfolk (repeatedly sung with pride to the away fans), OTBC (sung with gusto and at least three claps at the end) etc all seem to be songs either being gradually lost or otherwise changed for the worse.  There are others.  On a personal but alternative note, I also used to enjoy a hearty rendition of ''Gunny, pick your arse'' sung when every game, without fail, his glove cladded hands could be seen  extracting his shorts from his buttocks.

Anyway, my point is, we who remember these songs quite literally either use them (and use them properly) or we will lose them and with it, a bit of NCFC history and tradition.  The fight for our tradition starts here? 

Finally, on our run in, please, please don''t see the last four games as having an inevitable conclusion (i.e. relegation).  If we believe that, the players will, you may not like it and you may say they are professionals and should play regardless of our support, but that is the fact.  Do whatever you can, sing, shout, clap and encourage and leave any recriminations on how we got to this position until our future has been confirmed (i.e. relegated or safe).  It can wait, anything else is divisive.  These are possibly four of the most important fixtures in our history.  We need to be a Championship team next season and waiting to be inspired into singing by the team is pointless, while they''re our players and pulling on our shirts any resentment etc has to stop and we need to be as one.  I''m not meaning to be patronising as I know all City fans want us to win but let''s show this in the stands in a positive way, then we can say we''ve done all we could.  Throw the ticker tape, wear the shirts and raise the roof.  Come on City fans!!!  OTBC 

Yarmouth, agreed re your points of the speed of singing and the loss of some of the traditional songs. I miss the fanzines too, if that''s of any relevance!

Regarding the crowd in general and the lack of noise, think it''s mainly nerves and resignation to our fate. It''s been like it for the past couple of seasons really, with a few brief interludes of hope and highlights of some of the better matches, the crowd have been lifted only to be subdued again by the resumption of not so great games and our position in the table.

Times change though Yarmouth and I have noticed the speed of the songs getting faster again since the demise of the fanzines you mention. OTBC now is almost impossible to sing with any passion as it''s so fast. ICDAT - haven''t heard us sing that for ages, today would be a good start though, we could do with some humour!!

We really need some new songs for a few of the players. Most of our better player songs were for our former players, namely Safri, McVeigh, Kenton etc. Doc''s song isn''t bad but is rarely sung as such a large group of fans don''t want to sing it.

Oh when the Greens has made a comeback recently and will no doubt be sung today, also We are Carrow Road, and as it''s that time of year, no doubt a few about the Suffolk cousins.

Fighting for our tradition is important, yes, but I think that time and evolution will lead us to new things. It''s only a few old codgers like you, me and a few others on here who can remember standing in the Barclay, never mind the songs! But we can but try! I will be in full voice this afternoon singing and supporting the boys. OTBC

Thanks Pennywise but I hope not for if that was the case then it would seriously make me question the point of coming to a board like this to make any form of impassioned plea as a supporter, as well as its use as a sensible forum for discussion!! 

[quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]Thanks Pennywise but I hope not for if that was the case then it would seriously make me question the point of coming to a board like this to make any form of impassioned plea as a supporter, as well as its use as a sensible forum for discussion!! [/quote]

Pardon my ignorance....But personally, I do think that you''re at least 3 season''s too late....

Cheers gazza, excellent reply mate.  I agree what you''re saying re evolution but I also feel sometimes older heads (and I''m not even that old!) need to have an influencing hand.  I feel every generation of City fans are custodians of its history and as I say, if we allow it to be lost, it will be and my feeling is that other clubs don''t seem to be changing their songs as we do.  Portsmouth, one of the best examples, still seem to sing the songs in a way that enables them to be sustained and so with it, is the atmosphere.

I also agree that nerves and resignation have influenced atmospheres the last couple of seasons but all this needs to be put aside for today and the remaining games that follow and like you, I will be in full voice also this afternoon and I know now already that at ten to five I will be able to say I did my bit.  I hope all using this forum, like the two of us Gazza, will be able to say likewise.  OTBC

Mello - sorry, just re read or do you mean the campaign to save the atmosphere is three years late? If so, I''ve got to try anyway, can''t let it go with a whimper, it means too much to me and with the standard of football, it''s all that''s really left of the saturday experience!

[quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]Mello - sorry, just re read or do you mean the campaign to save the atmosphere is three years late? If so, I''ve got to try anyway, can''t let it go with a whimper, it means too much to me and with the standard of football, it''s all that''s really left of the saturday experience![/quote]

Yeah, the campaign is 3 years late...or even since we made the play-offs...

I respect what you''re saying Mello but can''t believe that it all happens irreversibly in such a short space of time though do agreed the slide started some time ago.  I don''t believe it has to be that way though and that is my point. 

I was going to start a new thread on this but I was afraid that CA would tell me off [:D]

For all of us going to game today I second the plea for us to make a lot of noise for the team, from kick off to the final whistle, regardless of how the game is going, no excuses today (wrong kind of sun, crap game etc), no getting on the players backs, we can make a difference (If any of you watched MOTD2 last night you will know what I mean).

If you do not go home tonight with a sore throat you will not have sung enough!!.......  

SOB, that''s a certainty! It has become a bit of a joke in my office that I won''t be able to speak the Monday after a match (or Tuesday in this case!), I usually have the Sunday to recover......oh well hope the phone doesn''t ring so much tomorrow!

Agree with you 100% though.

S O B, my sentiment exactly.  Why would anyone tell you off for expressing an opinion though??  Surely things on here can''t be that bad, though as I said I am new to the forum!! 

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

CA is OK, just a tongue in cheek remark!!.

Back to to the purpose of this thread.......Make lots of noise today, and get behind the team, no excuses.....

[/quote]

I''ll try and rack up some noise (apart from clacking knitting needles and rattlin'' dentures and rustling sweet wrappers, etc) in the City Stand.

Totally agree with the OP and SOB.

We make a huge difference. Lets make the difference count today and drag these three points out of the fire.

Mello, as today is so important we want to see you and CA get the City Stand going with a chorus of Sing up the Barclay. Go on, it''s up to you!!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Mello - See if you can co-ordinate the clacking of the dentures into a a samba rhythm....[/quote]

PMSL! The City Stand zimmers stomping in unison!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Mello, as today is so important we want to see you and CA get the City Stand going with a chorus of Sing up the Barclay. Go on, it''s up to you!![/quote]

I''ll do my best, just hope that Mello and Tilly join in [:D]