Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Disappointed but not surprised.....

I can''t help but think that today''s performance was pretty much in keeping with our recent ''ethos'' over the last few seasons of defending far too deep to protect a lead, and to seemingly forgo the good football that got us ahead.....even last season when we were winning, we often let sides onto us far too often (good egs = vs Coventry/Forest at home), and were quite often slightly fortunate to have Green/poor finishing to save us, so for me today''s performance on going 1-0 up was pretty much a continuation of that:- we defended too deep, let them come, looked hopeless when we had the ball, and lost it when we should have been playing it around at will against their 10 men.

The thing is that defending deep like that in this division, even vs the poor sides, will not work - they won''t let chances go for 90mins.  As I see it, we need a bit of a different mindset, somehow - surely it is all in the tactics...but today these were pretty poor generally.

Bringing on Hendo has to count as a mistake - he was often too ''lightweight'' for Div 1 so not really sure what Worthy is expecting of him in the higher league: Helveg/Mulryne would surely have been much more sensible swaps at h-t = they are experienced, with that extra ''presence'' and would have known what to do/where to be rather than looking out of their depth...and would have probably kept the ball better when we were ahead. For me this substitution was probably the biggest mistake made so far this season.

I couldn''t see why Leon was taken off either - he looked gutted. He''d been harrying them all game and looked as good as anyone....it was also odd that McV came on presumably to bolster the left side, but everything they made in the last 15 came down that side of the pitch...

I can''t decide if we were just a bit unfortunate today with the (tactical) changes not working and us just not managing to keep it going, or if we just aren''t really up to it in this division after all.....

Spot on. At the moment we look like a good 1st Division team who are just not good enough for the Premiership.

If (:whistling we go down we have to ask some tough questions. How can we become an established Premiership team? How do others do it? Where were our weaknesses? What do we need to change? How do we make sure that we dont do a ''Wolves'' and struggle in the 1st next season?

i dont think we even look like a good 1st division side at the moment! we could well do a bradford, sheff wed or wolves but i hope not. its not too late to turn things around but something has to happen sooner rather than later, our next two games are the most important of the season now, dont you agree?