Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

Gunn's managerial record....

Percentage wise, and equivalent games played under his tenure. Is it any better than Roeder''s.....or Grant''s?

If his record over the games he has been in charge was averaged out over a season we would get 52 points so it is marginally better..... but only by a very small margin!

He will stay . He is a cheap option who does love the club and has been learning the job at a difficult time. He will be judged on a whole season when it is his squad which probably will be mainly youth and journey men in league 1

Dropping Lee against Sheffield Wednesday. Dropping Gow yesterday. Needing some sort of result against the mighty Swansea City and rolling up with a 4-5-1 formation intending to snatch a point. Substitutions saved until the last ten minutes of games even when the team is quite clearly struggling. Gunn is a clown

Take a look at the records,

Roeder P27, W7, D5, L15, Points 26, Goals 32, Conceded 43. Points Per Game 0.96, For 1.19, Against 1.59

Gunn    P15, W4, D5, L 6, Points 17, Goals 19, Conceded 18 Points per Game 1.13, For 1.27, Against 1.2

Post Barnsley:

Gunn   P14, W3, D5, L6, Points 14,  Goals 15, Conceded 18, Points per Game 1, For 1.07, Against 1.29

What isthe difference in reality between Roeder and Gunn, not an awful lot. The ''mid table Gunn'' myth needs to be put firmly to bed right now, take out the barnsley game when to be frank peter grant could have inspired a win its the same old same old, better defence, less goals. Gunns naivity, tactical flaws and baffling selections are costing us now...If we don''t beat watford tomorrow then i''m a fraid it wont be a question of if, but when we travel to yeovil next season, hopefully not a cold, wet and windy, tuesday night in November...

No co-incidence I''m sure that we were starting to put one or two decent results together when we had a more or less settled side but now Gunn has started to come up with weird and less than wonderful team selections we''re back to the scenario we have had under previous managers where the players don''t know what''s coming next. I just can''t get my head round whatever the thinking was behind bringing back Drury and playing Mooney on the wing.  I know Gunn''s new to the job but it''s not as though he''s new to football. I''m sure most fans cringed when the line-up was announced yesterday. If we can see it ain''t gonna work why on earth can''t those who are paid good money to pick the right team.

Completely agree. Gunn is way out of his depth and the muppets that are with him are just as clueless. Thankyou board for ruining our club. We are a laughing stock and I can''t see anyway back from the depths of league 1. R.I.P NORWICH CITY

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Dropping Lee against Sheffield Wednesday. Dropping Gow yesterday. Needing some sort of result against the mighty Swansea City and rolling up with a 4-5-1 formation intending to snatch a point. Substitutions saved until the last ten minutes of games even when the team is quite clearly struggling. Gunn is a clown
[/quote]

[quote user="ridgeman"]One question were we in the bottom three when Gunn took over? we are now.[/quote]

''Mid-Table''....as some would have us think....

Perhaps the big difference is that Grant and Roeder had the chance to at least try to create a squad of players to represent the club. Gunn took over a team where there was no more than 2 or 3 players actually good enough for the league they were playing in. Give the man time, a little bit of cash and see the difference. Just reflect on the ''quality'' of players signed on by the previous two managers.

gunn need''s more time to help city climb the table he need''s to sell cureton and mark fotheringham then he can get one decent player with the cash that can score,cross,dribble and defend.

and why are we surprised? may as well have given the postman top job. cheap option after cheap option and league 1 here we come. Thanks board.

Our Directionless. A method in their madness....I suppose they thought it was a shrewd move on their part. Promote a Club legend, a bit like Shearer at Newcastle.....Can''t lose - or can''t win, with his appointment.....

There''s only one target of a group of individuals that I affix our plight to.....And they''ve been in control for well over a decade now.

[quote]There''s only one target of a group of individuals that I affix our plight to.....And they''ve been in control for well over a decade now.[/quote]

Are you talking about the Labour Party?  [;)]

He is just part of the ''Old Boys network'' at carrow road, after all he was marketing manager not so long ago and after the selection process to replace Roeder he was suddenly the best candidate to take them forward. Now when we say best candidate I can only think that reading between the lines it means the cheapest option!

Yesterday he stood on the touchline with arms folded apart from when he instructed the defence to move up to the half way line.His substitutions were shocking (when Russell was on a yellow and not giving much so he took off Lappin and and replaced him with Gow) aand his timings to help influence the game were just too late.

I suppose the difference between the two is that Roeder is an experienced manager who clearly is extremely arrogant, far too much so to learn from his previous mistakes, whereas Gunny is just starting out and will need time to learn the trade properly.

Yes, it''s an assumption, but considering Bryan doesn''t strike me as a particularly egotistical person, it seems to me personally that assuming he''ll learn from his mistakes and progress as a manager is a fair assumption.

But, of course, that wouldn''t make anywhere near as good a moan, would it now?

What is annoying me is how Gunn is talking about HIS targets for next season and the plans HE has in place.

Well there was me thinking he was only contracted until the end of the season?

It is so bloody obvious that this hopeless ''manager'' will be given the job on a full-time basis, whatever happens.

We were in the bottom 3 when Gunn took over...We are still in the bottom 3....

Was it the time to appoint someone who has no managerial nous but ''what the hell, let him learn his craft and chuck him in the deep-end''.

Cheap option... 

Gunn is a great bloke....The Football manager of a club and poor team that is flat-lining with no expensive defibrillator available, and we have no-one at the club with the necessary first aid skills to administer the correct resuscitation guidelines, means we face the inevitable....I''m afraid.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.........................................

he`s here now  for the next for games at least so whats the point in whining about it ? we can have the post mortem afterwards  [:D]

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

What is annoying me is how Gunn is talking about HIS targets for next season and the plans HE has in place.

Well there was me thinking he was only contracted until the end of the season?

It is so bloody obvious that this hopeless ''manager'' will be given the job on a full-time basis, whatever happens.

[/quote]

Hooray! dawn breaks at last!

If anyone still thinks otherwise, then they''re seriously stupid!

Gunny may well turn out to be the next Sir Alex, but do we really want him learning his trade at City when we were (and still are) deep in the poo.Gunny has my absolute support (and not just because he is a club legend), but I still think the appointment was made for any reason apart from football ones (cheap, appeases the fans, etc).It''s also obvious that he will be manager next season whatever happen this one.When he was appointed we all said that, no matter what happened, Gunny would remain a legend.  I wonder if that is still the case.

And what did we expect from a man that has never managed anything before? There were managers out there that proabaly would have kept us up. And we didn''t take them on because of the money. How short sighted is that?

Paddon...

I don''t believe we would have got relegated under aidy boothroyd for one, cheap option oncxe again, and if we go down jacxk of all trades gunn will keep the job becasue it wasn''t his fault; if we stay up though he''ll keep it because he''s done a ''remarkable job''!

Bryan Gunn will get success!

Step number 1 for the club was to get rid of Glenn Roeder. Step number 2 will be to get football-players to the club.

So step number 1 is reached, Roeder is gone and in we got Bryan Gunn. That was a step forward I think! He will get his success I''m sure!

Even if we get relegated I think Gunn should get the full-time Manager job. In the summer he can get rid of the fringe players and big-earning under-performers like Mark Fotheringham. I think the club is going in the right direction with Bryan Gunn.

[quote user="Huddy "]

Take a look at the records,

Roeder P27, W7, D5, L15, Points 26, Goals 32, Conceded 43. Points Per Game 0.96, For 1.19, Against 1.59

Gunn    P15, W4, D5, L 6, Points 17, Goals 19, Conceded 18 Points per Game 1.13, For 1.27, Against 1.2

Post Barnsley:

Gunn   P14, W3, D5, L6, Points 14,  Goals 15, Conceded 18, Points per Game 1, For 1.07, Against 1.29

What isthe difference in reality between Roeder and Gunn, not an awful lot. The ''mid table Gunn'' myth needs to be put firmly to bed right now, take out the barnsley game when to be frank peter grant could have inspired a win its the same old same old, better defence, less goals. Gunns naivity, tactical flaws and baffling selections are costing us now...If we don''t beat watford tomorrow then i''m a fraid it wont be a question of if, but when we travel to yeovil next season, hopefully not a cold, wet and windy, tuesday night in November...

[/quote]Look, you can''t just omit results from your statistics to make them look more favourable for your argument - ever considered being a politician?What it does show is, that under Gunn, there has been a small but significant improvement. Remember that he still has (roughly) the same players to pick from.

but its still better , and he has no experience , and he has only brought i one perminent player for 25k.

i would but money on it he has not spent any where near the budget roeder had .

I think the criticism of Gunn on this thread is extremely harsh.

The club was in a complete and utter mess when Roeder was sacked. Confidence amongst the players was at an all time low, God knows how many loanees had been in and out, I lost count, and the general quality of the players is poor. Several changes of manager, two of which were "experienced", and years of abysmal failure.This was Gunn''s "inheritance" and it would have been a really big ask for any manager coming in - assuming that option was available - but importantly the appointment of Gunn meant immediate continuity because of course he already knew the players and all the ins and outs of the club.  It''s easy to criticise Gunn and trot out the same old mantra about Gunn''s inexperience of being a team manager but who''s to say that an Adie Boothroyd or Ince etc would not have done worse ? The problem is that you cannot prove the negative so no one knows. Personally, and I know it''s an opinion that will be rubbished, I believe that Gunn was the right man for the job given the circumstances prevailing at the time and I think he will become a very good manager. I like the man and so do the players - witness the rush to Gunn when Lee scored his goal and he has good quality football people supporting him. I was at Swansea on Saturday and I share the same disappointment as everybody else at losing. As it happens if we had taken our chances we would have walked away with 3 points but yet again our players were goal shy. Yes, I thought some of Gunn''s decisions were odd on the day but then ask fans up and down the country and they will all say the same thing about thier managers. His job now is to re-group and get it right today and for the remaining games of the season. He accepted the poisoned chalice of the manager''s job at Norwich and I sincerely hope that he will be our manager next season whichever league we are in.

The only difference between what is and what might have been is that the moaners on this thread would be using another name instead of Gunn. There is a good old saying that you can''t make a silk purse from a sow''s ear. Look at the squad Gunn inherited, the morale he inherited, the passion he inherited, the lack of funds he inherited and try to persuade me that another manager, probably a complete stranger to the club and the players would have done better.

Give the man time, at least we know how he feels about the club and we should know that he won''t be running away looking for another club, as past managers have, if the going gets tough, showing no regard for Norwich City or the supporters.