Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Gunn making the same mistake as Roeder?

Does anyone else feel that Gunn is now making the same fundamental mistake as Roeder? What I''m talking about is not knowing what the best team is and constantly chopping and changing the line up.

Before the international break, I pretty much knew what the line up would be barring injuries. But now, I have no idea where each player will pop up each match, Gow on the right? Croft on the right? Mooney on the right? 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or 4-5-1?

I think gunn needs to quickly work out what our best formation is and stick to it. At no point this season have I really believed that our squad is so bad that it''s incapable of winning enough games to stay up, the problem I think is that management can''t decide who the best combination of 11 to achieve it.

Monday is massive, but I''m not sure a win will be enough in the end. Fingers crossed!

OTBC

Yes I agree with you fully, and what is very worrying is that Gunn shows no signs of learning from it.  A classic example has been the last two matches where against Shef Wed he played Carney when he was jet lagged, Croft when he was just back from injury, left Lee out of the starting line up, and made his substitutions far too late. 

Against Swansea yesterday, he put Croft on the bench and left Carney out of the squad although they were both presumably a lot fresher and fitter.  He left one his most dangerous attacking midfielders Gow on the bench, and replaced him with Russell, who has been out for a month after suspension, who immediately picked up an early yellow card, and then spent the rest of the game unable to tackle for fear of getting sent off.

He brought back Drury (not match fit) and moved Bertrand out of left back where he has been playing well, to the left wing which is not his position.  In a nutshell he changed a back four which had been playing well together and had hardly let in any goals lately.  He had Lappin inside when he is better wide left, he played Mooney wide right, and he didn''t really get involved.  Finally, he decided to make his traditional late substitutions, so as to not give those players a chance to get into the pace of the game.  Is it any wonder that the players aren''t showing any consistency when they have to adapt to a different lineup and formation every game.

The whole team selection issue and knowing when to make changes is a complete shambles, and highlights the fact we have a very inexperienced management team, who are not learning from their mistakes. 

We need an attack minded side against Watford at home with players who can score and create problems for their defence.  I would like to see the following starting lineup:

Marshall

Otsemebor      Doherty     Shackell      Bertrand

Croft       Clingan      Gow     Lappin

Mooney     Lee

Subs:  Nelson,  Leijer,  Carney,  McDonald, Smith

That squad is not possible, Silverfox...six loanees see!

We have now been paying Leijer''s Premier League wages for best part of 3 months and he has played twice IIRC!

Money well spent, Doomcaster????

for me - we seemed to have a pre international side that was reasonably settled - and had rediscovered a winning habit...then - we bought in lee - and gunny bought back lappin and carney - and in this post match spell - we''ve drawn 1 game and lost twice...

in these 3 games we''ve scored twice through lee and clinkers...but in the preceeding 3 games - we scored 3 times, mooney scoring twice and once through cody...recording 2 wins and a defeat...it would seem - mooney is the key - and lee also to an extent...these boys need to be scoring for us to keep up...it seems to me gow gels very well with mooney and they appear to have a natural understanding together...but gow has failed to score - his best posi is right wing - where he can set them up - and also hover on the right side of the pen area to snaffle up chances that come from crosses close to his goal post...whereas croft stays out wide too much to ever have a sniff of scoring...if druro is fit and good enough to play at left back - then plastic gives us defensive strength on the left side - allowing gow on the right wing to show his tricky and float in late to score goals again - like he did at blackpool - but - and its a big but - if mooney and lee don''t hit it off - and can''t form a partnership in time - then to a certain extent they will find their attacking threat nullified - and time is something we don''t have,,,CONCLUSIONi don''t see these boys in training - but a choice has to be made between gow on the right,,,and mooney and lee up front - OR crofty on the right and mooney and gow up front///what the legends choose will determine the status of our league future...ouch!!![:S]

For me the best team we could put out at the moment is...

Marshall

Semmy  Doc  Shacks   Bertrand

Croft    Clingan  Russell  Lappin

Mooney  Lee

Then everyone knows where they stand. Get the ball out wide and then get it pumped into the box where Lee and Mooney can be a threat. And make sure Rusty or Clingan or both are getting in there as well. 

I''d have to leave Gow out because I don''t think we have the players or are in a position to get the best out of him (plus I don''t think he really played like it meant something to him against Sheff Weds whereas Mooney and Lee are more likely to keep going).

[quote user="GJP"]

For me the best team we could put out at the moment is...

Marshall

Semmy  Doc  Shacks   Bertrand

Croft    Clingan  Russell  Lappin

Mooney  Lee

Then everyone knows where they stand. Get the ball out wide and then get it pumped into the box where Lee and Mooney can be a threat. And make sure Rusty or Clingan or both are getting in there as well. 

I''d have to leave Gow out because I don''t think we have the players or are in a position to get the best out of him (plus I don''t think he really played like it meant something to him against Sheff Weds whereas Mooney and Lee are more likely to keep going).

[/quote]sorry GJP - but we all know that ''pumping a ball into the box'' - is all very well - but unless the guy delivering it knows how to set up a goal scoring chance then it might as well be delivered blindfolded...even ''the best crosser in scotland'' doesn''t know how to create a goal chance for his colleagues,,,i''d prefer to have a guy out there - on either wing  - who is known as ''best goal assist!!!''...given our league position,,,

If we were to get the ball out wide to Lappin and Croft I''m confident they''d put balls into the box that Mooney and (in particular) Lee could do something with. Just keep it nice and simple with players knowing what they''re in the team to do.

[quote user="GJP"]

If we were to get the ball out wide to Lappin and Croft I''m confident they''d put balls into the box that Mooney and (in particular) Lee could do something with. Just keep it nice and simple with players knowing what they''re in the team to do.

[/quote]fair enough gjp - lets hope the boys do it today!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]for me - we seemed to have a pre international side that was reasonably settled - and had rediscovered a winning habit...

then - we bought in lee - and gunny bought back lappin and carney - and in this post match spell - we''ve drawn 1 game and lost twice...

[/quote]

Being slightly fair on Gunn, Lappin and Carney came in for Russell (suspended) and Hoolahan (Injured).  He didn''t have much choice.

4-4-2 was working because we had superb movement up front from Gow and Mooney which gave an outlet for the efforts in midfield from Croft and Hoolahan.  With Butterworth widely bypassing our central midfield dozers with quick ball up front we suddenly had 4 players offereing movement and chasing the ball down in their half.

Hoolahan being injured has been a nightmare.   His industry and guile has not been matched by Carney,   leaving us lop sided again.   On top of that Gunn has brought in Lee which means we have put the ball through clingan/russell/lappin again,  which slows things down and makes things worse for us - they are our achiles heel.  

As lee is not as mobile as gow and mooney the defence cant relieve the pressure by hitting the corners and knowing 2 from mooney, croft, gow or hoola will fetch.

Tactically while lee may hold the ball up when it gets to him, the inability of our players to find him consistently or quickly enough means that playing him, irrespective of how well HE plays,  hinders us as a team.  Using the more mobile youngsters means we pressuring our opponents faster deeper and longer in their half - benefitting us as a team. 

Losing Hoola has meant Gunn has tinkered trying to both replace him and accomodate both Gow and Lee;  Gow in midfield is not half the player he is as a striker.

Our central midfield pairing is statistically our weakest link;  will gunnys voting reflect that?  As I have said elsewhere,  by pass them, 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

4-4-2 was working because we had superb movement up front from Gow and Mooney which gave an outlet for the efforts in midfield from Croft and Hoolahan.  With Butterworth widely bypassing our central midfield dozers with quick ball up front we suddenly had 4 players offereing movement and chasing the ball down in their half.

Hoolahan being injured has been a nightmare.   His industry and guile has not been matched by Carney,   leaving us lop sided again.   On top of that Gunn has brought in Lee which means we have put the ball through clingan/russell/lappin again,  which slows things down and makes things worse for us - they are our achiles heel.  

As lee is not as mobile as gow and mooney the defence cant relieve the pressure by hitting the corners and knowing 2 from mooney, croft, gow or hoola will fetch.

Tactically while lee may hold the ball up when it gets to him, the inability of our players to find him consistently or quickly enough means that playing him, irrespective of how well HE plays,  hinders us as a team.  Using the more mobile youngsters means we pressuring our opponents faster deeper and longer in their half - benefitting us as a team. 

Losing Hoola has meant Gunn has tinkered trying to both replace him and accomodate both Gow and Lee;  Gow in midfield is not half the player he is as a striker.

Our central midfield pairing is statistically our weakest link;  will gunnys voting reflect that?  As I have said elsewhere,  by pass them, 

[/quote]I really don''t understand the management teams thinking when it comes to the Gow and Mooney strike-partnership. There we were, finally scoring goals for the first time all season, looking dangerous, putting ourselves about the place - and most importantly; winning games.Then we bring in Alan Lee, the Gow and Mooney partnership is broken up and hey presto, we''re back to losing ways again. Why did we have to change it? It''s great that we''ve got a choice of strikers now at the club, but you play your best and the Gow and Mooney partnership was the best we''ve had for a good few years now.