Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

Jimmy Neighbour has passwed away

How we could do with someone like him, with the ability to take players on and get decent ball into the box.  Take a leaf, Crofty.

I remember his first game for City.

We were at home to Newcastle in 1976 and his debut on the right wing was electrifying. He tore the Geordies defence to shreds - very much Huckerby style - and we raced into a 3-0 half-time lead. The wheels came off a bit in the second half and we limped home 3-2 but that first 45 mins was sensational. I''d never seen a winger that good in a City shirt.

Jimmy stayed with the Canaries for three seasons before moving on to pastures new.

His brother Ron became a Capital Canary and good friends with the London supporters.

My thoughts go out to Ron and Jimmy''s family.

Jimmy Neighbour was an exciting player from a time where we had footballers as good as any side in the country. I loved watching him. Far too young to be gone at 58. RIP Jimmy.

In a way he symbolised the roller-coaster Bond era. He had his off-days and could be a frustrating player, but when it all clicked he was as good a right-winger as we''ve ever had.RIP.

A very sad day for NCFC,Jimmy was one of my hero''s as a young boy.  A great winger,my how we could do with him now.RIP Jimmy.

JIMMY,JIMMY NEIGHBOUR

JIMMY NEIGHBOUR ON THE WING.

Oh dear ! Yet another part of our yesteryears vanishes, so very sad, so very sobering.

Puts our other little troubles into perspective, doesn''t it ?

R.I.P. Jimmy

best player in the first city game I saw, 3-0 v Coventry 1976.

Graham Paddon, Jimmy Neighbour. Class acts. RIP

those days seem so distant now.

I''m surprised the news still hasn''t reached the Pink Un or Canaries.co.uk news sections. He was a significant player for us for three seasons in the 70s. I expect there will be a minute''s silence or applause before tomorrow''s game though.

Very sad and 58! I loved watching him and seeing the photo Nutty put up just takes us all back to what seems more than a few decades ago.

A sad day for NCFC.

Jimmy Neighbour was a player I loved to watch. I remember well John Bond''s year long surch to find a winger that included atempts to sign Tommy Hutchinson, Peter Lorimer and Ray Graydon and finished with Neighbour signing on the dotted line. The previous week he had given our defence the run around playing for Spurs. The £75,000 we payed for him was a bargin. He was quick. He had a fantastic burst of speed. On his day, at his best there was not a full back who could handle him and he was a fantastic out let for the passing genius of Martin Peters. Peters benefited too with Neighbours crossing ability. He mixed it, either whipping the ball in from the flank or lovely floated crosses which Peters could ghost in on. With John Ryan behind him overlapping as well we had a dangerous right flank in those days. For me Neighbour is one of my all time favoutite players. Yes he was frustrating at times. At times the stuff he tried did not come off. Sometimes he disappeared from games completely, but when it all clicked, in full flight with the ball at his feet, defender in his wake, what a player!

Rest in peace Jimmy! You''ve left me some great memories. 

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Oh dear ! Yet another part of our yesteryears vanishes, so very sad, so very sobering.

Puts our other little troubles into perspective, doesn''t it ?

R.I.P. Jimmy

[/quote]

Yes, Jim, it does. Football status and results are disappointments, whereas the loss of life prematurely is sad and often tragic. RIP Jimmy.

A hell of a winger from a fantastic era of football. My condolences to his family. Fondly remembered, Jim.

Here''s a bit more about Neighbour, from BBC Sport:

Former Spurs star Neighbour dies

Former Tottenham, Norwich and West Ham striker Jimmy Neighbour has died suddenly at the age of 58.

Neighbour, who played in Spurs'' 1971 League Cup-winning side, suffered a heart attack at home while recovering from a hip replacement operation.

Neighbour was on Tottenham''s books from 1966 to 1976 and returned to the club in 2000 as coach of the under-17 side.

He also represented Seattle Sounders and played the last of his 304 Football League games on loan at Bournemouth.

He made his debut for Spurs against Stoke in October 1970 and playing his final game for the Cherries against Wrexham in 1983.

Before rejoining Tottenham he spent four years as a coach at Enfield, helping them win the FA Trophy in 1988.

He was also youth development officer at West Ham, assistant manager at Doncaster and boss at St Albans.

--------------------------------------------

Very sad news, Graham Paddon and Ken Nethercott one year, now Jimmy Neighbour this year.

My thoughts and condolences naturally go to all his family and friends.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]I''m surprised the news still hasn''t reached the Pink Un or Canaries.co.uk news sections. He was a significant player for us for three seasons in the 70s. I expect there will be a minute''s silence or applause before tomorrow''s game though.
[/quote]

Shame it''s taken the pinkun 2 days to put this story up [:$]

I was sad to hear this news too. Whilst he was at Norwich I was a spotty teenager with a paper round in Sprowston where Jimmy used to live, (quite close to Martin Peters as it happened), and both of them were on my round. I used to deliver Jimmy''s Evening News, and he was a top bloke. Tipped me a pound at Christmas one year, when a pound was worth having.

Apart from Ruel Fox , Hucks and Disco Gordon I would rate him as the best winger I''ve seen.

Sad day.