Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

To the Pink Un moderators

Come on chaps, this is a good forum and often results in educated and well balanced debate. But too often its slowed down by the snails pace at which posts appear. Sometimes its zapp, things happen quickly. Other times things take forever and the debate has moved on before your post appears. So come on, if you are in this game, do it properly or not at all and we''ll go somewhere where we don''t take half a day in a vibrant real time exchange of views.

Its now 11.06pm Sat night on a matchday and the last post on this board was 11.52am. That''s not good enough if you want to keep this alive. I want to read about today''s game from folks who (unlike me coz I work Sats) were there.

The reason I don''t post more is because it takes SO SO SO long for the posts to appear! It is particularly infuriating when you come on after a match to talk about the game while it is fresh in your mind only to have to wait for between 24 and 48 hours for the post to appear.

Why can''t this be like a normal forum with moderators who can delete / edit posts once they are posted. Swear filter will kill any swear words so you don''t have to worry about that and get 3 dedcent moderators and all posts will be checked pretty soon after they are posted anyway....

The slowness really does ruin the forum and it''s onbious there we have a fairly educated bunch of people here.

How about modertaing posts like now but once you have made say 20 decent posts your replies will go though automatically...

totally agree.. it spoils it a little.. I co adminostrate a forum on carrowroad.net and am on there 2-4 times a day. you can set up filters etc and delete/warn when things really get out of hand.. If you need a voleenter contact me...

i couldnt agree more with you.... i go on this site all the time at work to view my opinions and see what other fans feel about them. But sometimes it takes to long for the messages to come through which slowes the whole process down which i find checky from you saying it is not good enough from us people that have signed up. i feel that you should sort it if you want things to improve!!!!

Rob
My comment about it not being good enough last Sat was aimed at the moderators, not complaining about the lack of posts by the participants. Normally there''s loads of stuff on a matchday evening which as I rarely get time off on a Sat is invaluable for me to get a good idea of what a game was really like. Seems to me that at times like that the pink Un should ensure that posts get through as quickly as possible at the times when debate is likely to be at its height.
All the above comments on this thread show that there''s stuff out there to automate the process and make the risk minimal (and less reliant on staff) as far as the Pink Un is concerned.

I was at home a few Saturday evenings ago and kept popping to my pc to moderate posts . . . but there weren''t any. (Maybe because people weren''t expecting to get them through). The reference to the ''last post'' being at 11am on the Saturday morning really does mean that no more posts were made during the day. Saturdays are quite often quiet on the Pink, probably because people are at the match.
We don''t have the staff to have more than one person on duty on a Saturday, and the shift runs roughly from 10am to 6pm. However we can try and do more in the evenings if people are wanting to post.
On moderation, our policy is fixed - we moderate posts before they are posted, not after. A libel is a libel even if it''s only online for a few hours.
Sorry.

Tumbleweed I think you''ve raised a really valid point. I can also understand Celia''s reply. The fact is though that if you are running a true response message board, the posts must be up reasonably quickly.
What happens frequently is that although we may be responding to a subject, the particular point a contributor is making that you wish to respond to, is lost because of the delay.
Perhaps the ''subject'' divide should be dropped and return to the old pinkun site style list.
Hopefully this will be looked into seriously because the contributors on this board are by far the most interesting of any City board I have read. Combining intelligent thoughts (mainly!) and provoking good debate.
I have noticed there are several who have not posted lately and I think it is because of the problems highlighted.
I hope this can be rectified as I fear more will stop contributing.

The Pink ''Un message board has operated display-after-approval since early 2001.

The old message board setup only allowed us to moderate from Prospect House, meaning there was no chance of any approval after the Saturday shift had finished. We can moderate from home now.

As Celia says, we will try to do more on Saturday evenings if people want to post then - but this certainly isn''t going to extend into the early hours. And maybe we could start earlier on Sundays if there''s demand.

We don''t think the switch to the new board has made it any less busy; if anything there seems to be more messages coming through.

Thanks to Vince and Celia for their feedback, it is frustrating when a post takes a while to appear but I also understand that on a free but closely moderated board like this there is a limit to the resource that can be devoted to it. Saturday evenings would seem to make sense, that''s when good results or desperate performances generate some comment but I guess you chaps (and chappesses) have all the statistics on when the majority of posts are made and you resource for the peaks rather than the night-owls.

Bury Belvoir also makes a good point and that relates to structure- sometimes it is quite hard on a long thread to work out who is responding to whom. The old system did allow "sub threads" to develop within the overall initial posting and that was sometimes quite entertaining. If you had a reply button on each message header then you could post a reply to a message several notches up from the last one.

Anyway my nitpicks are infrequent. I too like this board because it is sensible and well reasoned and also doesn''t get hijacked by followers from other teams who just want to wind us up. So keep up the good work, but a few tweaks and continued diligence on the speed of posts would be great.

> If you had a reply button on each message header then you could
> post a reply to a message several notches up from the last one.

There''s a "post reply" button with every message, allowing you to reply directly to messages further up the chain; but you can only see the effect of this if you "Display using... Threaded View" (near the top-right corner).

We know there''s a couple of problems with this - namely that it doesn''t remember that you''ve selected Threaded View between each topic (which is mightily annoying); and when it shortens messages to subject + poster only further down the chain, it repeats a poster''s name for all those messages. Our developers fixed some of the problems we told them about, then I think they got caught up with other work/courses. One day it''ll get done...

I don''t wish to be seen to take sides, but it ought to be remembered that many of us travel to away games. It would be almost impossible for the board to be moderated in such circumstances.
True, many staff at Archant cannot manage to travel, but, like you or I, they can hardly be expected to stay in on a Saturday night.
Perhaps, as previously mentioned, some volunteer moderators might be considered. The problems involved with editorial content, copyrights and defmatory comments could be discussed with those volunteers with a ''training'' session.
I tend to agree with most views, that the delay betwixt posting and displaying the message has been a deterrent in my contributions.
On the other hand, ''instant replays'' are available on many other fans sites. I have always considered this board as one for more ''serious'' opinions, with a wider audience of similar-minded posters. Thus, in many ways, I think that the board''s method of ''vetting'' posts is invaluable in maintaining that air of ''broadsheet over tabloid''.