Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report V Watford

A very nervy afternoon. but the right result in the end.

After the doom and gloom of last Saturday I warned you all that there would be further twists and turns before Punch has done dancing. Today was a must win and now the season comes down to a 3 game league and all we have to do is gather the same number of points as Forest or Barnsley because our vastly superior goal difference.

Anyway, back to the game. I thought we dominated at the start and at the end but we allowed Watford too much of the ball in the middle half hour. The midfield still finds it hard to stamp themselves on the game and were allowing too many midfield runners to get through to our defence.Doc and Shaks dominated the centre and for once both full backs had decent games. Semmy probably had his best game of the season and it was his run that led to the opening own goal. It should have been two soon after but the Ref and Lino somehow contrived to be the only people in the ground to miss the tug on Mooney which was a blatant as you could wish for. The handball looked a good shout as well but Ref''s seem to have picked us out as undeserving of anything this season.

The second half opened with us being very nervy for the first 15 minutes and I was beginning to think we would concede. Gunny seemed to leave it a bit late but finally got the message when swopping Croft for Carney and we began to make chances again. Shaks was unlucky with a header off the line and Lee crashed a great drive against the angle after a typical bustling run (shades of Ewan I thought). I was still thinking we might blow it but eventually Doc''s header settled the nerves.

Don''t think its all over yet guys and gals because we''ve got to go through it another three times yet. At the end of it I remain confident that our goal difference is going to be the deciding factor.

A pleasant stroll back to trowse and a special thanks to Mrs Ricardo who had my dinner in the oven as I walked through the door.

Great match report as always Ricardo

I still think we should keep a close eye on the Saints, they are still in with a chance after their win today, althoguh our main rivals are currnetly Forrest and Barnsley. I was fully expecting Sheff United to thrash Forrest today but somehow ten men Forrest held on for a draw and now I just get the feeling that Forrest aren''t going to go down this season with the team spirit they have, so it''s Barnsley who I am now looking at as the team Norwich will hopefully beat to survival in this league.

Thanks Ricardo. All is well with the world ! I went to Swansea on Saturday. Strange team selection by Gunn. Swansea didn''t impress too much and I felt that we could have won the game if we had started with Gow and Croft. Croft made a huge difference when he came on and the chances created near the end could have so easily gained us a precious point. Lee was immense, I really liked his attitude, his strength and height. Ashley Williams couldn''t handle him and at one point resorted to a clumsy tackle which earned him a yellow. I went to Reading before Christmas and the Reading centre back Duberry couldn''t handle Cort. So, Lee could be vital against them when they visit Carrow Road  for the penultimate game of the season. Have a good evening. The malt will be coming out after dinner for me ! Where there''s hope there''s life and malt whisky.

We really looked up for it today, but I agree with Ricardo that we let them come on to us too much for comfort, and Marshy''s fingertip onto the bar should shut some of his critics up for a while. I thought Gow made some good contributions and its nice to have a two footed player who is clearly comfortable running with the ball. Mooney worked hard but, in my view was a bit off colour, but Lee was immense. What a nightmare he must be to play against! Doc and Shacks again did well and Semmy and Rusty had much better games than in recent memory. Not sure about this whole wingers on opposite flanks business, though!Well done Plastic too, he looked like the player of last season.[Y]

Spot on again Ricardo - a deserved win for city who were the better team but still contrived to have a scare or two.   Not sure it was semis best game of the season but a big improvement;  while Betrand was one of the three candidates for MOTM,  the other two being shacks and Lee.  Doc was solid again,  while gow was inventive if slightly wasted on the flank.   Mooney missed two goalden opportunities but fortunately neither they nor the two blatant penaltys nor lees disallowed goal mattered this week.

The only down side as Ricardo says was the midfield.  Carney was poor,  but croft no better when he came on.  Their very inexperienced midfield won too many 50/50s and had more time than they should have,   and it was not until about 20 mins to go that Rusty and Clingan finally asserted some control;  their experience alone should have meant they dominated the whole game;  they didnt.

A final thought was the dead ball delivery;  we had SO many corners today which showed that a quick ball up front was paying dividends. However only 2 had a decent ball into the box (the goal and one mooney put wide in the first half),  too many failed to clear the first man,  a second set were always far too close to the keeper and at Clingan over hit at least 4 dead balls today;  more than one is inexcusable and wasteful.    

[quote user="ricardo"]

After the doom and gloom of last Saturday I warned you all that there would be further twists and turns before Punch has done dancing. Today was a must win and now the season comes down to a 3 game league and all we have to do is gather the same number of points as Forest or Barnsley because our vastly superior goal difference.

Anyway, back to the game. I thought we dominated at the start and at the end but we allowed Watford too much of the ball in the middle half hour. The midfield still finds it hard to stamp themselves on the game and were allowing too many midfield runners to get through to our defence.Doc and Shaks dominated the centre and for once both full backs had decent games. Semmy probably had his best game of the season and it was his run that led to the opening own goal. It should have been two soon after but the Ref and Lino somehow contrived to be the only people in the ground to miss the tug on Mooney which was a blatant as you could wish for. The handball looked a good shout as well but Ref''s seem to have picked us out as undeserving of anything this season.

The second half opened with us being very nervy for the first 15 minutes and I was beginning to think we would concede. Gunny seemed to leave it a bit late but finally got the message when swopping Croft for Carney and we began to make chances again. Shaks was unlucky with a header off the line and Lee crashed a great drive against the angle after a typical bustling run (shades of Ewan I thought). I was still thinking we might blow it but eventually Doc''s header settled the nerves.

Don''t think its all over yet guys and gals because we''ve got to go through it another three times yet. At the end of it I remain confident that our goal difference is going to be the deciding factor.

A pleasant stroll back to trowse and a special thanks to Mrs Ricardo who had my dinner in the oven as I walked through the door.

[/quote]agreed 100% ricardo ole fella - pretty much saw it as i did...at this point though - i feel we''ve left it too late...

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

Great report Ricardo, spot on...

But isn''t it Iwan? [:P] Sorry, had to point it out! [:D]

[quote user="drunkunmunkey"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

Great report Ricardo, spot on...

But isn''t it Iwan? [:P] Sorry, had to point it out! [:D]

[/quote]

Sorry mate, you are of course correct. I can only claim that I was scoffing my dinner at the time and was typing with one hand.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Spot on again Ricardo - a deserved win for city who were the better team but still contrived to have a scare or two.   Not sure it was semis best game of the season but a big improvement;  while Betrand was one of the three candidates for MOTM,  the other two being shacks and Lee.  Doc was solid again,  while gow was inventive if slightly wasted on the flank.   Mooney missed two goalden opportunities but fortunately neither they nor the two blatant penaltys nor lees disallowed goal mattered this week.

The only down side as Ricardo says was the midfield.  Carney was poor,  but croft no better when he came on.  Their very inexperienced midfield won too many 50/50s and had more time than they should have,   and it was not until about 20 mins to go that Rusty and Clingan finally asserted some control;  their experience alone should have meant they dominated the whole game;  they didnt.

A final thought was the dead ball delivery;  we had SO many corners today which showed that a quick ball up front was paying dividends. However only 2 had a decent ball into the box (the goal and one mooney put wide in the first half),  too many failed to clear the first man,  a second set were always far too close to the keeper and at Clingan over hit at least 4 dead balls today;  more than one is inexcusable and wasteful.    

[/quote]Can''t say I disagree with this, we deserved the win today, and thank god it''s all in our hands once again.

[quote user="whoareyou"]Good report, Ricardo...what did you have for dinner?? [:D][/quote]

A Sloppy Giuseppe Pizza.

Followed later by several glasses of a very palletable Shiraz.

Mrs. Ricardo really looks after me, especially when I''m in a good mode after a nice home win.

Thanks again Ricardo.

Let''s hope we can get through this season and sought things out next in the second tier.

We really don''t want to be put back 50 years - especially in this kind of time.

OTBC

Loverly report Ricardo - one thing on Lee in comparison to Iwan, he has a little bit more pace about him! Good ol'' boy Iwan was, but he never had the sort of pace that Lee used to glide swiftly pass the defenders only to smack the ball as full on the post as is possible.