Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Player ratings vs. Watford

(Please merge this thread if there is already one, I couldn''t see another ratings thread at the time of writing)marshall - 8, kept a clean sheet and made a brilliant tip onto the bar, but again fails to take control of any balls in the 6 yard areabertrand 7 - did what he needed to do, didnt really offer anyting offensiveshackell 9 - awsum game, looks a much better player since joinin wolves, unlucky not to scoredoherty 9 (MotM) - played perhaps slightly worse then shackell in defence but still a rock, and gets motm for scoring the crucial 2ndotsemmbor 8- tidy game, covered well and got forward slightly better then bertrandcarney 5 - the bloke tried, but why he was on the right is anyone guess, look to offloadclingan 8 - had a good game as def. midfielder, sorta player u notice when he;s not in the teamrussell 8 - did well to control his temper, though his first touch is still somehwat dodgygow - 8 a much cleverer player then anyone else on the pitch, but he''s no winger, a paul mcveigh type playermooney - 5 - he tried and should have had a penalty but the bloke is poor...not strong enough for a target man, not quick enough to be a pacy player...cody for me wud be betterLee - 9 - he really looked like he wanted to play, tried to gee up all the other players, desperatley unluckly not to score, a brute of a player, something we were lackin

Mooney is poor?  Well, we all see the game differently, but I would sign Mooney up without a second thought.  Mooney and Lee would cause havoc in the Championship as a striking duo, and I think he''s pretty quick and pretty strong - he''s just raw but the potential is there.

Incidentally....Marshall 7.8 Otsemobor - 7.5Shackell - 8.1Doherty - 7.9Bertrand - 7.4Clingan - 7.4Russell - 7.5Carney - 5.2Gow - 7.1Mooney - 6.5Lee - 8.2

mooney actually won more in the air than lee..lee just stood there a lot of the time an immovable object   inviting the foul..i think mooneys hold up play is quite good  [:D]

Marshall - 6  actually did well in the air today but let one go across him in the second half that should have given them an equaliser;  he knew he should have dealt with it better

Ots - 6 better than most games this season,  still far from convinced his mind is always on the pitch at the same time as his body;  the weak link of the defence today.

Doc 7 As solid as always and stuck his head in to give us that crucial breathing space second goal.

Shacks 8 My MOTM,  was at hios very best today, strong,  positionally sound and unlucky not to score too.  Excellent

Betrand 8 Did everything right.   A real danger and hopefully his injury is nothing serious

Gow 7 - Inventive,  super footwork and a real danger;  still feel he is wasted out wide and would prefer to see him up front,  where he has always been excellent for us.  Deserves a goal.

Clingan 6 Covered a lot of ground as usual but for every good set piece delivery wasted 4.  Not enough ball winning but looked excellent for the last 10 mins once the game was one.  

Rusty 6 Like clingan did not assert himself against a very inexperienced duo for watford and also came off second best too often.  Can do it,  but does not often enough

Carney 5.  Not enough quality for me;  disappointing and rightly subbed,  even if Croft offered nothing more

Mooney 6  Superb effort and movement.  Involved in both pens (I think) and missed two superb opportunities to secure the game by half time.  A real prospect

Lee 8  Work his little bowl locks off.  Physical and dangerous, looked superb and seemed to love it today.  If only he was a couple of years younger

NOt in them I dontthink.  But if I could only sign 2 of the three strikers,  lee would be the last one,  would sign mooney and gow first.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

NOt in them I dontthink.  But if I could only sign 2 of the three strikers,  lee would be the last one,  would sign mooney and gow first.

[/quote]That''s a tricky one... Mooney''s one for the future, Lee''s what we need right now and Gow is class but has well documented injury concerns.Strange as it sounds, I''d probably sign Lee and Mooney.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]sign all 3 [Y] they wouldnt cost the earth

but will the budget stretch to that plus 4 midfielders?  Coz thats what we need in the summer

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"]Mooney is poor?  Well, we all see the game differently, but I would sign Mooney up without a second thought.  Mooney and Lee would cause havoc in the Championship as a striking duo, and I think he''s pretty quick and pretty strong - he''s just raw but the potential is there.
[/quote]

Sorry but I agree with ''The Lord''. I think Mooney is rather poor. He hasn''t got a great finish and seems to loose the ball very often. As for the person who said he works hard, we really must be watching a different game. In comparison to Lee and the others Mooney didn''t work at all.

I think Mooney is pretty handy but I''d really like to see McDonald given a bit of a stint along side Lee. Maybe if we can sign Lee over the summer we can give them some time together during friendlies. I think Lee''s experience and know-how in the air would compliment McDonald''s tenacity and fresh blooded hunger perfectly.

Anyhow, my ratings are as follows:

Marshall - 7. Made one hell of a save to keep us 1 up, though needs to command his area more.

Semmy - 7. A lot better than I''ve seen of him recently.

Shacks - 9. Didn''t miss a thing. Absolutely superb at the back - a credit to the shirt.

Doherty - 8. Superb also but Shacks positional sense and covering for his full back gives him the extra mark.

Bertrand - 8. Definitely one of his better games of late, had their right winger is his pocket all game and offered us an option going forwards.

Carney - 5. First half was absolutely appalling. Seems to take far too long in making decisions. However, second half got a bit better.

Clingan - 8. Superb. Again. Really worked hard today, and his tracking back was good - I also love it that he faces the Barclay while On The Ball City is being sung before a game - what a legend.

Russell - 7. Worked hard but still doesn''t have that touch of class that Clingan possesses.

Gow - 8. Very tidy with his feet and worked space for himself a few times to get a shot off. I''m sure the shot he tried to bend round the keeper in the first half was on its way in until it struck their defender on the shoulder. Very dangerous going forwards.

Mooney - 7. I thought he played ok. Showed some nice touches and was involved in a lot of City''s forward play. Worked ever so hard.

Lee - 9. Absolutely awesome. Couldn''t ask any more - dominant in the air, chucked himself about and nearly scored what would have been goal of the season. Sign this guy up ASAP.

Marshall     7  Solid game, and one stunning save onto the bar

otsemobor   7  Looking much better, much more confident. Good performance

Bertrand   7   Solid, did a good job.

Doherty   7   Generally sound, but still gives me one to many panicy moments a game

Shackall   9   MOTM   Outstanding. Sign Him Up. Tackles, blocks, headers, he got in the way of everything and won everything.

Carney   5   Poor. no urgency, wasteful in possesion. I was crying out for croft and thats saying something!

Russel   8   Impressed. Prooved me wrong, didnt think he was disciplined enough for us but was everywhere, running the midfield.

Clingan   6   Dissapointing, far from his best. Caught in possesion a bit too often for my liking

Gow   7   First half struggled to make an impact (6), but got better as the game went on. Our most creative force.

Mooney   6   Struggled. Didnt make the most of the ball when he had it, didnt hold it up and generally struggled.

Lee   8   The sort of player we''ve missed in recent times. Caused havoc, harshley treated by the ref. Had a crucial presence.

Subs: Croft 6 - struggled to make an impact, Drury and Lappin, limited time to impress!

Marshall 7

Otsemobor 7

Doherty 7

Shackell 8

Betrand 7

Carney 5

Russell 7

Clingan 6

Gow 6

Lee 8

Mooney 6

[quote user="The Lord"](Please merge this thread if there is already one, I couldn''t see another ratings thread at the time of writing)

marshall - 8, kept a clean sheet and made a brilliant tip onto the bar, but again fails to take control of any balls in the 6 yard area

bertrand 7 - did what he needed to do, didnt really offer anyting offensive

shackell 9 - awsum game, looks a much better player since joinin wolves, unlucky not to score

doherty 9 (MotM) - played perhaps slightly worse then shackell in defence but still a rock, and gets motm for scoring the crucial 2nd

otsemmbor 8- tidy game, covered well and got forward slightly better then bertrand

carney 5 - the bloke tried, but why he was on the right is anyone guess, look to offload

clingan 8 - had a good game as def. midfielder, sorta player u notice when he;s not in the team

russell 8 - did well to control his temper, though his first touch is still somehwat dodgy

gow - 8 a much cleverer player then anyone else on the pitch, but he''s no winger, a paul mcveigh type player

mooney - 5 - he tried and should have had a penalty but the bloke is poor...not strong enough for a target man, not quick enough to be a pacy player...cody for me wud be better NO BETTER THAN WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!

Lee - 9 - he really looked like he wanted to play, tried to gee up all the other players, desperatley unluckly not to score, a brute of a player, something we were lackin

THE SUBS, WELL LAPPIN AND DRURY LOOKED SOLID AND CROFT DID WHAT WAS REQUIRED

[/quote]

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"]Incidentally....

Marshall 7.8
Otsemobor - 7.5
Shackell - 8.1
Doherty - 7.9
Bertrand - 7.4
Clingan - 7.4
Russell - 7.5
Carney - 5.2
Gow - 7.1
Mooney - 6.5
Lee - 8.2

[/quote]

NOT PRECISE ENOUGH

Marshall 7.84324234
Otsemobor - 7.565734324
Shackell - 8.163545124
Doherty - 7.96345324
Bertrand - 7.43463463264
Clingan - 7.434532622
Russell - 7.55467357756
Carney - 5.2456345736
Gow - 7.1006345634640
Mooney - 6.5543657568537426
Lee - 8.242645745263426345

THATS BETTER[:D]

[quote user="Mr. Norwich City"]

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"]Incidentally....

Marshall 7.8
Otsemobor - 7.5
Shackell - 8.1
Doherty - 7.9
Bertrand - 7.4
Clingan - 7.4
Russell - 7.5
Carney - 5.2
Gow - 7.1
Mooney - 6.5
Lee - 8.2

[/quote]

NOT PRECISE ENOUGH

Marshall 7.84324234
Otsemobor - 7.565734324
Shackell - 8.163545124
Doherty - 7.96345324
Bertrand - 7.43463463264
Clingan - 7.434532622
Russell - 7.55467357756
Carney - 5.2456345736
Gow - 7.1006345634640
Mooney - 6.5543657568537426
Lee - 8.242645745263426345

THATS BETTER[:D]

[/quote]

RATED ON HOW DIRTY THE KIT WAS [:D]

Marshall 7  Did all that was required, including one superb save

Semmy  7  His best game for ages

Doc 8 Solid as a rock

Shack 9 Joint MoM

Berty 7 Close to his best

Carney 5 Oh dear!

Sammy 8 Dependable as ever

Rusty 8 Better touch than usual and controlled himself well

Gow 7 Sheer class on occasions, but wasted wide left

Mooney 6 Worked hard, but very hit and miss in front of goal and looked off colour

Lee 9 Joint MoM. What a handful!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Doc 8 Solid as a rock

Shack 9 Joint MoM

Carney 5 Oh dear!

Mooney 6 Worked hard, but very hit and miss in front of goal and looked off colour

[/quote]Beaus - think I agree all those comments and rankings - though I thought Gow was not exactly wasted wide left and was a constant handful. His slick shot from the edge of the box in the second half was only just off target. I''d probably give him 8. I certainly hope we sign him and that we see him and Hoolahan linking up again in a City team.BUT amazingly- I see Chris Lakey in the EDP gave both him and Carney 7.  Was he actually at the game? I know we all see a different game but to rate Carney close to Gow on yesterday''s performance is barmy. Gunn''s decision not to replace Carney at half time was only justified by his eventual replacement''s weak contribution. (I realise Croft had probably been told not to take too many risks).

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Beauseant"]

Doc 8 Solid as a rock

Shack 9 Joint MoM

Carney 5 Oh dear!

[/quote]

Beaus - think I agree all those comments and rankings - though I thought Gow was not exactly wasted wide left and was a constant handful. His slick shot from the edge of the box in the second half was only just off target. I''d probably give him 8. I certainly hope we sign him and that we see him and Hoolahan linking up again in a City team.

BUT amazingly- I see Chris Lakey in the EDP gave both him and Carney 7.  Was he actually at the game? I know we all see a different game but to rate Carney close to Gow on yesterday''s performance is barmy. Gunn''s decision not to replace Carney at half time was only justified by his eventual replacement''s weak contribution. (I realise Croft had probably been told not to take too many risks).
[/quote]

TBH I nearly gave Gow 8, and I think that the boy is high class. He always wants the ball and has the invaluable ability of being a genuinely two footed dribbler. He would always be in my starting line up, but I prefer him in a more central role where he can influence the flow of the game more. There was no comparison between his input and that of Carney''s yesterday. The latter struggled on the right and on at least two occasions tried to play 30 yard passes that missed their targets by an embarrassing margin.

marshall - 8

bertrand 8 

shackell 9

doherty 9

otsemmbor 8

carney 4 -

clingan 8 -

russell 8 -

gow - 8

mooney - 6/7 -

Lee - 9 -