Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

No chance of us keeping Gow, Lee, Mooney, Shackell

Yep, no chance. We will sign one of them, whatever one we can get cheapest, and then we wont hear the last of how the club is "Showing ambition by signing.......", or "Pushed out the boat and found the money to sign the great......".

We will probably end up writing off whatever is owed by Wolves for Shackell, say 750k, and then hear about how the club has spent three quarters of a million quid on a player and cant afford to spend any more etc etc.....

Shackell represents the finest Doncaster opportunity to turn a 250k profit on a player into a "750k investment into the playing staff".  Failing that, we will get Gow for 300k and then end up losing Hoolohan as a result...... so Doncaster can shout about how Gow is better than Hoolohan, when in reality we need both in the squad.

Failing that, Reading will go up and we will sign Mooney on a one year loan, before finding out that Reading only wanted 500k...... but we paid 300k to his agent for arranging the loan.......

Or...... we will go down, and the only player out of those that wants to play for us is Alan Lee, who Doncaster writes off as too expensive, before dusting off the clubs vault and giving £20,000 to Gunn to sign some Ridgeons league striker....

Even if we stay up (which I don''t think we will) All four of those players will go back to their respective clubs.

...and the one player we do sign...will be ''funded out of the personal pockets of our beloved directors''...i bet Doomcaster already has his speech typed out!

I reckon Lee would stay.  He has a home down here, he is 32 and he is not going to achieve anything more in his carrer, and he has said he wants to stay here.

I would like to know if we could sign just one of these who would it be and why?

For me It''s got to be Shax he has been superb since his return and imo should never have been allowed to leave.

I don''t think anyone here can comment on who we''re going to sign. We don''t even know what division we''ll be in next season. Fact is, though, each of the listed players are better than those contracted to us presently. I''d be looking to sign all of them.

[quote user="Boyo"]I reckon Lee would stay.  He has a home down here, he is 32 and he is not going to achieve anything more in his carrer, and he has said he wants to stay here.[/quote]

No hes not, hes 30 and not 31 until the end of August.

[quote user="robsonhasscored"]

I would like to know if we could sign just one of these who would it be and why?

For me It''s got to be Shax he has been superb since his return and imo should never have been allowed to leave.

[/quote]

I would say Shackell or Lee. But we need more than one player to turn us around. I would have Gow, but not as the only signing, he has a well publicised serious knee injury..... so chances are he wont play another full season next year...... I cant see the point in signing Mooney unless we are going to sign somebody like Lee to play alongside him. We would be better off signing Lee and playing McDonald alongside him.

Im going to plump for Alan Lee, in the knowledge that there are three quality centre halfs out of contract at the end of the year..... and no decent strikers. I just think that Bruce or Purse can do a good enough job, whereas I cant see where another Alan Lee is going to come from.

[/quote]

defo agree!!

he looks at home with the doc!!

[/quote]

IF Stef is fit then we have a centre back pairing,  but no strikers,  so it would have to be one of the front three.  All three have impressed but for me the best of the three strikers is gow,  up front he has worked hard and looked the creative presence we have missed; so for me gow then mooney then lee,  only because lee has time against him.  

Mr Lee: "I would like to stay with Norwich.  I''ve already told the gaffer that.  I''m enjoying myself the best for months, for quite a while.  The gaffer said he couldn''t sort anything out now which I understand.  I told him that if the club went down I''d still want to play for him.  We''ll have to see what happens but I would really like to stay and I''ve told him that.  He calls me his Big Bear.  I''ve had a lousy season overall but I love being up for a fight.  That''s my game.  I hope I can stay."  

Lee - Sign

Shackell - Never gonna get in Wolves side, probably (if we stay up, that is)

Mooney - Never gonna get in Reading side (be it Premiership or Championship)

Gow - Doubt It, but hearing his comments in the Gunn club recently, he loves the place.

IMO:1. We will definitely sign Lee. There may be no fee involved and he will be realistic on contract. At this stage of his career Norwich suits him perfectly - and that is not a criticism of him or us. Cort will be released and hence no big wage bill increase.2. We will also sign Shackell. Not going to be easy for the Board perhaps but the need to improve the defence further is obvious. Shackell is a known quantity and more reliable than Stefanovich I think.3. We will sign Gow. Maybe that''s wishful thinking but his contribution - and effectiveness - is immense. I think he''s actually more likely to stay than Hoolahan - but I''d love to keep both.4. We will not sign Mooney. Good player and clearly fits in but not a natural striker like Lee - needs that extra second before he strikes - and I think matching his Reading wages would be too dear. We also have MacDonald.5. Clingan will stay6. Carney will not be signed.7. Croft will be released - too expensive8. Lappin will sign.  OK that''s a longshot - and provided his wage expectations are sufficiently lowered . Could be cheap cover.All the above assumes we will stay up - which I still believe. Bertrand anyone?

[quote user="Binky"]IMO:

1. We will definitely sign Lee. There may be no fee involved and he will be realistic on contract. At this stage of his career Norwich suits him perfectly - and that is not a criticism of him or us. Cort will be released and hence no big wage bill increase.
2. We will also sign Shackell. Not going to be easy for the Board perhaps but the need to improve the defence further is obvious. Shackell is a known quantity and more reliable than Stefanovich I think.
3. We will sign Gow. Maybe that''s wishful thinking but his contribution - and effectiveness - is immense. I think he''s actually more likely to stay than Hoolahan - but I''d love to keep both.
4. We will not sign Mooney. Good player and clearly fits in but not a natural striker like Lee - needs that extra second before he strikes - and I think matching his Reading wages would be too dear. We also have MacDonald.
5. Clingan will stay
6. Carney will not be signed.
7. Croft will be released - too expensive
8. Lappin will sign.  OK that''s a longshot - and provided his wage expectations are sufficiently lowered . Could be cheap cover.

All the above assumes we will stay up - which I still believe. Bertrand anyone?

[/quote]

A wage bill increase is irrelevant! Doncaster has already said that we need to lose £3.5 million off of the wage bill. Carl Cort paid a pittance when not fit (pretty much pay as you play) and has been out for weeks...... I also suspect that all three of the other players are on more than Mooney! he came from a part time league where anything over £1,000 must have seemed like a fortune.

If we go down, there is no chance of affording any of them. They all need a fee, which we wouldnt be able to afford. If we stay up then how is Doncaster going to find his £3.5 million in wage bill savings?

We could maintain a similar wage structure quite easily, but saving money? For three years in a row this club has spent F all on players and wont do again. 

This is provided we stay up of course:I reckon it''d take about 1 million to get Gow, Lee & Shackell, who I would make first priority as signings.I would also try to get Bertrand back, either on loan or premanently, I would expect season long loan.After that we have whatever other money is going around and whatever we raise from Clingan (if he goes) to get in one or two central midfielders.With Spillane and Martin returning and assuming Croft signs on again, that leaves us with cover everywhere except the wings and maybe upfront so finally I would be looking for wing cover and further striking depth as the final priority, possibly only on season long loan for this one.  Mooney would be in this category.

What I really want to see is a reform in our use of the loan system.  Less loans and for longer please!   I object to season long loans much less, up to 3 (striker, winger, Bertrand) would be quite acceptable in my book.