Sign in to follow this  
mickey phelans tash

Green in goal ?

The " expert pundits" have spoken again..  With David James the only one with the experience who is there to step in if he gets injured. Yes everyone..BEN BLEEDING FOSTER !  He is Man Uniteds 2nd or 3rd choice so that qualifys him for England caps. Rob Green plays week in week out for a top half Premier League Team, wins their player of the year trophy, was even in the England set up whilst at Norwich. He must be tearing his hair out that he is constantly overlooked to wear the number 1 jersey, especially by the media. Its got to be Foster ,or Carson or Kirkland and don''t forget Robinson who get the pundits mention.

Ignore the Focus pundits - I actually think Greeno will pick up cap number 3 today. Capello obviously rates him.... Let''s see! I''d pick him for sure.

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]

The " expert pundits" have spoken again..  With David James the only one with the experience who is there to step in if he gets injured. Yes everyone..BEN BLEEDING FOSTER !  He is Man Uniteds 2nd or 3rd choice so that qualifys him for England caps. Rob Green plays week in week out for a top half Premier League Team, wins their player of the year trophy, was even in the England set up whilst at Norwich. He must be tearing his hair out that he is constantly overlooked to wear the number 1 jersey, especially by the media. Its got to be Foster ,or Carson or Kirkland and don''t forget Robinson who get the pundits mention.

[/quote]

Is this an essential for all ex city goalkeepers?

It''s surprising that England managers don''t rate him as much as club managers. Is it his command of his area? Something that was his main fault at City.

[quote user="Romantic"]Ignore the Focus pundits - I actually think Greeno will pick up cap number 3 today. Capello obviously rates him.... Let''s see! I''d pick him for sure.[/quote]

I hope he does get another cap. That may be seen as a sign that in Capellos eyes(not Martin Keowns) he is Number 2 ( for now).  What annoys me most is the constant mentioning of Foster and Carson mainly. One doesn''t play and the other in my opinion should be nowhere near the international squad. I see Burley won''t pick Craig Gordon simply because he is not playing first team football.

It''s just another farse in the football world,how mant times do you hear managers useing the phrase "he hasn''t played enough first team football"yet Capello may start with Ben Foster today he''s down as Man Utds No3 behind van der sar & kusak.Must be soul destroying for the likes of Rob Green who''s started all West Hams games this season and has been key to the good season they''re having under ZolaHmm [^o)] 

I was just saying the same thing on the Kieron Gibbs thread.

[quote user="Romantic"]Ignore the Focus pundits - I actually think Greeno will pick up cap number 3 today. Capello obviously rates him.... Let''s see! I''d pick him for sure.[/quote]Obviously rates him? Is that why he couldn''t get a look in for ages?

Bump - Green played the last friendly and he''s ever improving after that awful groin injury. Things aint black and white. He''s clearly on Capello''s mind at the moment.

Its a friendly and he hasnt had a chance to get a look at Foster yet in a game situation. Seems perfectly reasonable to at least give him a half.

Whilst he was still at Norwich and when he used to get called up for most if not every squad/get together he was left out of  friendly game having sat on the bench for the previous one. He approached Ray Clemmence and enquired why he was being given a chance to which Clemmence replied " I''d count myself lucky to be he if I was you, if Kirkland was fit then you wouldn''t even be here"

I still think he would do a very good and reliable job for England.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Whilst he was still at Norwich and when he used to get called up for most if not every squad/get together he was left out of  friendly game having sat on the bench for the previous one. He approached Ray Clemmence and enquired why he was being given a chance to which Clemmence replied " I''d count myself lucky to be he if I was you, if Kirkland was fit then you wouldn''t even be here"

[/quote]

Well, Clemence should know. He only got a chance when Shilton wasn''t there.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

I thought they used to take turns,

That was the most annoying part of the match, poor old green, and when foster was warming up at half time, the Gk coach, threw the ball to him, and it went through his legs, he should not have come on after that :P

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

I thought they used to take turns,

[/quote]

Check the number of appearances of each in competitive internationals.

My memory, such as it is according to some, is also telling me that Shilts was more injury prone than Ray. 

But of course I could be wrong - even if I googled it, I guess.[;)]

But, hey-ho.

OTBC

There was a bit of turn taking for a while if I remember rightly (I was a massive Shilts fan when I was a lad - even had his autobiog ''The Saving Grace''!). But mostly Shilts got the games.

well i''d have Almunia out of all our lot, but i''d have definately given Green more of a chance so far than he''s had, as someone rightly said, he''s a top half prem teams best player. How many oher English goalies can claim even near that

[quote user="Romantic"]I care! He''ll always be one of my NCFC heroes.[/quote]

So if we ever get promoted or hammers got relegated..... Its 0 v 0 with a minute to go, City awarded a penalty, you would want him to save it, then if he does save it he can then salute the happy hammers

No! Of course not! That''s a really daft question. I have alot of love for Greeno and wish him all the luck in the world but I''d happily see city put 6 past him. Have you honestly never followed a former city player fondly when they move to pastures new?

Like Green - and part of me wishes he got more of a look in with England. Think the head has to rule over the heart though, and tell me that Greeno isn''t the top English keeper.