Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Roeder didn't do Eagle any favours by giving him a contract

I don''t think anyone understood Roeder''s thinking when he gave Eagle a contract, least of all me. I remember posting on here how astonished i was that he did this, seemingly put him above Lappin yet still behind Pattison, Bertrand and Hucks. As a result, surprise surprise he never got a game and festered in a reserves side that also never played. And now he can''t even get a loan deal with a non-league side.

Wouldn''t it just have been better if he''d have let him go in the first place?

Thing is, he''s not a bad little full back now.

I would let the injury prone Drury go with his big wages and have him as back up for Bertrand as left back should we sign him.

Thing is, he''s not a bad player - honestly. His 12 games for the first team were before he turned 20. While he hasn''t forced his way back into the team, which suggests he isn''t good enough, look at who was in front of him - Huckerby until this season, then Roeder''s favourite Pattison, plus Hoolahan and Bertrand.When Gunny took over, it would have been too risky to throw the lad into the first team mix, and Wes was coming into his own. Despite this (and I know it was only one game), he looked very very good against Arsenal reserves in one of very few games he has been eligible to play this season. He looked solid and committed at left back, before being moved forward to left wing, where he terrorised the Gunner''s defence and crossed for two goals, nearly scoring one himself.Too many people just remember the lightweight teenager, with the girly hair, and write him off. He is still plenty young enough to come through and could be decent back-up to Hoolahan next year, with no agent fee or loan fee to be paid. He has done as Simon Lappin and just trained and kept trying. I think he''s worth another year - if he wants it!

Just hasn''t got enough going for him, unfortunately.

The club have done pretty well by him, I guess. It''s difficult to see him ever getting close to this level (or even a league or two lower).

Decent left foot but not much else.

Compare him to someone like Ryan Bertrand (about the same age) and you can see he''s a long way off.

Eagle got offered a contract as he was a natural left footed, and left sided player, which can be very difficult to find, however, Eagle was unable to take his undoubted ability on once getting the contract and therefore became a dust collecter at the club..

Should never been given another contract cause he was a million miles from the 1st team last year and is at the same point now!

If he''d of been that good he''d of been out on loan before now and the fact that non League Stevenage didn''t take him on after a trial says it all!

And yes before anyone questions I have seen Eagle many times in the reserves and think that while he can play a bit and could maybe cut it at League 2 or Conference level he never looked like a player capable of getting in our 1st team!

Giving Eagle a new contract and releasing Hucks and freezing out Lappin all left sided players defied all logic but then again we''re talking about the era of Billy no mates/bad decisions Roedernowhere. It wouldn''t surprise me if Roeder signed Eagle just to rub it in for Hucks and Lappin such is the twisted way that Roedrnowheres mind worked!