Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

alex bruce come on down....

I''d take Alex Bruce on a free.   Dejan, Doc,Bruce and Spillane would do for centre backs next season.

well if he''s free then deffo...doc shacks bruce dejan would be nice and i think spillane would be better suited as a defensive midfielder

I didn''t know he was a Republic of Ireland international. Which makes me wonder, if his dad was deemed not good enough to play for England, why didn''t he choose to play for the Republic? He probaby would have ended up as their most capped player.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I didn''t know he was a Republic of Ireland international. Which makes me wonder, if his dad was deemed not good enough to play for England, why didn''t he choose to play for the Republic? He probaby would have ended up as their most capped player.[/quote]

because bruce is a true englishman... sadly im one of those who believe in people playing for their birth country, if yr not good enough, then yr not good enough.

i dont agree with the ''oh my nans nan was from trinidad and tobago...'' nonsense.

nail, head.i will bring this back to a previous discussion on this forum......the case in point was footballer''s loyalties (or their lack of) and the presonification of this were Giggs and Bruce senior.Well really people?!?!?!??! Is it hard to be loyal to the best paying, most respected,richest club in the world?!?! As i said at that time i have a huge respect for Bircham, whose entire family are QPR and the man dropped a division and a huge pay packet to play for them......On this subject i will bring up james harper at  Reading.A very decent "inbetweenie" as Glenda would have said.....He was offered a place in Ghana''s (i think, but dont quote me) squad for the last world cup.  His response was "im english, i cant even find ghana on the world map!" And that says it all. What has happened to sport??!?! A man''s ultimate pride should be pullling on his home nations shirt.........these days we have Kiwis playing for the french rugby team, Saffers pretending to be welsh and argies full on lying about a grandfather being italian just to get an E.U visa.....I would give 3 limbs to play for City (granted id have to be rather gifted to play fizzy pop league on one leg) and my country...Wouldnt we all? Or am i an antiquated arse? :SP.S I think Brucey would be a cracking signing and let sface it the boy has true City pedigree. :)OTBC

Alex Bruce is actually entitled to selection by England, Northern Ireland and the Republic.  His grandmother came from the Republic which would automatically entitle him to Irish citizenship if he wanted.  His grandad came from Northern Ireland.  Alex was in fact selected by the NI U-21 squad and he turned them down in favour of the Republic. 

Fair play but, i was referring more to the fact that his father (obviously having an irish mother...if alex'' nan is irish..) would have had then opportunity then to play for those countries...

I have irish heritage but would only play for england as i class my self as a proud englishman.

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]If I said ''My old man''s a dustman'' would that qualify me to play for Ipswich ? [:D][/quote]

i just checked the smallprint and as you have a name that suggests you may be an idiot,yes, yes you can.

do you really want to?

:)

To be totally honest id rather have clingan than both shacks and bruce put together.

But bruce on a free and clingan stay and shacks for 500k, the man from delmnote say yes.

If we signed Bruce I wouldn''t want Shacks too, because we''re hardly rolling in the money and without him we would have..Stefanovic, Doherty, Bruce and Spillane which looks good enough to me. I think it would be better spent elsewhere.

Im just thinking from the angle of looking at last seasons catastrophe of losing both our best central defenders at a crucial point this season...and spillane is still unproven for me.

we would have made about 500k on shacks if rumours are true...

[quote user="6088m canary"]nail, head.
i will bring this back to a previous discussion on this forum......

the case in point was footballer''s loyalties (or their lack of) and the presonification of this were Giggs and Bruce senior.
Well really people?!?!?!??! Is it hard to be loyal to the best paying, most respected,richest club in the world?!?!

As i said at that time i have a huge respect for Bircham, whose entire family are QPR and the man dropped a division and a huge pay packet to play for them......

On this subject i will bring up james harper at  Reading.
A very decent "inbetweenie" as Glenda would have said.....

He was offered a place in Ghana''s (i think, but dont quote me) squad for the last world cup.  His response was "im english, i cant even find ghana on the world map!"
And that says it all. What has happened to sport??!?! A man''s ultimate pride should be pullling on his home nations shirt.........
these days we have Kiwis playing for the french rugby team, Saffers pretending to be welsh and argies full on lying about a grandfather being italian just to get an E.U visa.....

I would give 3 limbs to play for City (granted id have to be rather gifted to play fizzy pop league on one leg) and my country...

Wouldnt we all? Or am i an antiquated arse? :S

P.S I think Brucey would be a cracking signing and let sface it the boy has true City pedigree. :)

OTBC
[/quote]

You probably woundn''t be the worst around though.................

Mark .Y.

With all due respect there are 2 things to say about this. 1, would you want a player who is very rash in the tackle and picks up his fair share of bans due to yellow and red cards and secondly and probably more appropriate,how much was he offered in wages but has deemed it not good enough. My guess is around the 5 grand mark. He is an ok player nothing more nothing less.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I didn''t know he was a Republic of Ireland international. Which makes me wonder, if his dad was deemed not good enough to play for England, why didn''t he choose to play for the Republic? He probaby would have ended up as their most capped player.[/quote]

Its undisputable that two people are required to make a baby. Have you considered that Mrs Bruce may be the one with Irish roots?

[quote user="ryan85k"]

Its undisputable that two people are required to make a baby. Have you considered that Mrs Bruce may be the one with Irish roots?

[/quote]

o rly?

It''s a case of Bruce v Shackell financially I guess;if we could get Bruce on a free, I''d definitely take that!

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Alex Bruce is actually entitled to selection by England, Northern Ireland and the Republic.  His grandmother came from the Republic which would automatically entitle him to Irish citizenship if he wanted.  His grandad came from Northern Ireland.  Alex was in fact selected by the NI U-21 squad and he turned them down in favour of the Republic. [/quote]i cant stand the...my nana had a scooty dog(scotland) she also drinks guiness(ireland) so that makes me eligable for blah blah blah

play for the country you were born in...THE END!!! if this had been the case some years ago ENLANDS left sided problem would have been solved (RYAN GIGGS)

[quote user="nu_matik"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

o rly?

[/quote]

His grandmother is from the Republic.  His grandfather is from NI (or Ulster/Six Counties as you prefer).  That qualifies him to play for either if selected.  He was born in Norwich which qualifies him for England.  So far England have not been interested.

Both NI/Ulster/Six Counties and the Republic offered him a game at youth international level and he chose the Republic.  According to the Irish Times he thought the Republic had the better team.

[quote user="nu_matik"]

Fair play but, i was referring more to the fact that his father (obviously having an irish mother...if alex'' nan is irish..) would have had then opportunity then to play for those countries...

I have irish heritage but would only play for england as i class my self as a proud englishman.

[/quote]

Nu Matik, in response to your sarcasm.......

You stated "(obviously having an irish mother...if alex'' nan is irish..)"

My point is that this is not ''obvious'', as it could have been Alex''s grandparents on his MOTHERS side.

As it turns out, Steve Bruce was eligible to play for Northern Ireland but NOT the Republic of Ireland. Therefore you are wrong and Alex''s Irish roots must have come from his mothers side.

The reason that Steve Bruce never played for Northern Ireland probably has more to do with the fact that he played for the England B team in 1987, thus meaning that it was too late for him to play for Northern Ireland.

Its not rocket science.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="nu_matik"]

[/quote]

Nu Matik, in response to your sarcasm.......

You stated "(obviously having an irish mother...if alex'' nan is irish..)"

My point is that this is not ''obvious'', as it could have been Alex''s grandparents on his MOTHERS side.

As it turns out, Steve Bruce was eligible to play for Northern Ireland but NOT the Republic of Ireland. Therefore you are wrong and Alex''s Irish roots must have come from his mothers side.

The reason that Steve Bruce never played for Northern Ireland probably has more to do with the fact that he played for the England B team in 1987, thus meaning that it was too late for him to play for Northern Ireland.

Its not rocket science.

[/quote]

I stand expertly corrected.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Alex Bruce is actually entitled to selection by England, Northern Ireland and the Republic.  His grandmother came from the Republic which would automatically entitle him to Irish citizenship if he wanted.  His grandad came from Northern Ireland.  Alex was in fact selected by the NI U-21 squad and he turned them down in favour of the Republic. [/quote]get a life

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Alex Bruce is actually entitled to selection by England, Northern Ireland and the Republic.  His grandmother came from the Republic which would automatically entitle him to Irish citizenship if he wanted.  His grandad came from Northern Ireland.  Alex was in fact selected by the NI U-21 squad and he turned them down in favour of the Republic. [/quote]i cant stand the...my nana had a scooty dog(scotland) she also drinks guiness(ireland) so that makes me eligable for blah blah blah

play for the country you were born in...THE END!!! if this had been the case some years ago ENLANDS left sided problem would have been solved (RYAN GIGGS)

[/quote]Erm Ryan Giggs is Welsh through and through, he only played for England School boys because he was already on the books of an english club and attended an english school therefore making eligable to play for the school boys, BUT he was born in wales, his parents are welsh as were his grandparents so he never would''ve played for england even if he wanted to. He said so ages ago. SO England still would have the same problem.And anyway, signing Bruce on a free would be a cracking idea, so what if he gets booked? I would rather have a player who occassionally gets stuck in rather than someone who is afraid of a challenge. He''d be a good signing and would add another decent defender to our ranks. Who we would actually own!!!

[quote user="bristol_canary"][quote user="Camuldonum"]Alex Bruce is actually entitled to selection by England, Northern Ireland and the Republic.  His grandmother came from the Republic which would automatically entitle him to Irish citizenship if he wanted.  His grandad came from Northern Ireland.  Alex was in fact selected by the NI U-21 squad and he turned them down in favour of the Republic. [/quote]

get a life
[/quote]

Find a playground, find a kid that someone else has had a pop at already and start singing "Ner ner ner ner ner". Then when you feel better about yourself you can rejoin the rest of the adult world.