Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Norwich's most famous player??

Peters played for Norwich for five years so anyone of a certain age who doesn''t know he played for us isn''t a proper football fan! [;)] It''s more understandable if younger fans don''t know. How many people know that Geoff Hurst also played for Stoke and Roger Hunt played for Bolton?

Martin O''Neil is pretty famous, but it''s got to be Peters for me. Sutton for home grown.

Roger Hansbury was not famous but should have been.  He was a dependable backup for Keelan for a long time before getting his shot at starting.  Then the wheels came off the wagon. [:D]  But seriously,,,,,

Why are so many people mentioning Duncan Forbes? I assume that is who Big Duncan is.  What makes him so famous?  He was not even our top player on that team as I recall.  That would have been David Cross, Dave Stringer or Kevin Keelan.

As a player, Martin Peters, Chris Sutton or maybe the guy I forget (famous?) who got in a fight with a teammate at Newcastle during a game.  Oh, Bellamy!

Otherwise, John Fashanu or Dion Dublin for their media work.

What about the mighty Darren Beckford? A true city legend who set the standard for all others to chase in the English league for strikers.

Surely you would have to ask this question on different forums, as Norwich fans would be biasist, and many fans may not associate martin peters with norwich, just englandI know whenever I tell other football fans around the country I support norwich, Jeremy Goss''s name always comes up''Ahhh yes Norwich! I remember that volley against bayern munich!''

actually on a global scale perhaps even Thomas Helveg, he did win the champions league and serie A. although of course couldn''t oust edworthy from right back when we were in the prem, lolz

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Roger Hansbury was not famous but should have been.  He was a dependable backup for Keelan for a long time before getting his shot at starting.  Then the wheels came off the wagon. [:D]  But seriously,,,,,

Why are so many people mentioning Duncan Forbes? I assume that is who Big Duncan is.  What makes him so famous?  He was not even our top player on that team as I recall.  That would have been David Cross, Dave Stringer or Kevin Keelan.

As a player, Martin Peters, Chris Sutton or maybe the guy I forget (famous?) who got in a fight with a teammate at Newcastle during a game.  Oh, Bellamy!

[/quote]Re Forbes: every team had their hard man in the 1970s and they were always a bit of a character, familiar to fans of all clubs and Big Dunc just happened to be ours! I understand that when the new stand was built in 2004 the bones of all the forwards Dunc had had for breakfast were discovered! [:D]

[quote user="JimRoyle"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

Re Forbes: every team had their hard man in the 1970s and they were always a bit of a character, familiar to fans of all clubs and Big Dunc just happened to be ours! I understand that when the new stand was built in 2004 the bones of all the forwards Dunc had had for breakfast were discovered! [:D]
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on Forbes, JimRoyle.

[quote user="CT the Jarrold king"]

Craig Bellamy anyone?

Failing that David Beckham?

[/quote]

David Beckham never had a trial with us.. dont believe everything you read on flown from the nest!

jas :)

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="ryan85k"]

There are loads of famous Norwich players, I dont think Martin Peters would be the most famous now though, nearly half of the people around when we we won the world cup would be dead now (sad but true).

I can think of some out of the box ones:-

John Fashanu - Famous for presenting Gladiators

Justin Fashanu - Famous for being a gay footballer who killed himself, and for one amazing goal.

Mick Channon - Famous for being a footballer turned legend in the horse racing world

In modern times, anybody under 18 would state these as the most famous ex Norwich players:-

Dean Ashton, Robert Green, Craig Bellamy and Darren Huckerby (although famous for flopping in the premiership it seems).

Anybody between 20 and 30 might state Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin.

Jeremy Goss solely for a few amazing goals, not that he did anything else. Liverpool fans would certainly know who Goss is.

Efan Ekuko found fame for his 4 goals in one match.

Gary Doherty is famously shit.

Then of course you have Gary Megson, Martin O''Neill and Steve Bruce who are now more famous for being managers rather than footballers, although Martin O''Neill was clearly an amazing player.

[/quote]

anybody who doesn''t know of Martin Peters isn''t a true football fan irrespective of whether they were alive back then

[/quote]

Rubbish. Anybody out of our small country could not be expected to know who Martin Peters is, too many people in this country live too far in the past. That goes to show just how long it is since we have had success. Im bored of the narrow mindededness of Ing-gerrrrr-landddd fans who think that we are at the centre of world football...... Pele, yes everybody would know him...... but Martin Peters? The truth is that we come from a significantly average footballing nation who havent won anything for 42 years. There have been what 10 world cups since that happened mate.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]Peters played for Norwich for five years so anyone of a certain age who doesn''t know he played for us isn''t a proper football fan! [;)] It''s more understandable if younger fans don''t know. How many people know that Geoff Hurst also played for Stoke and Roger Hunt played for Bolton?
[/quote]

Again, that is absolute rubbish and typical of little old Norwich''s perspective on the world.  Thats like me asking you to name the entire Stoke City squad from 1971 without checking google...... nobody but Ipswich, Norwich, West Ham and Spurs fans above the age of 40 should be expected to know that Martin Peters ever played for Norwich, he was an old man for a start and it was 9 years after he won the world cup. 

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="ryan85k"]

There are loads of famous Norwich players, I dont think Martin Peters would be the most famous now though, nearly half of the people around when we we won the world cup would be dead now (sad but true).

I can think of some out of the box ones:-

John Fashanu - Famous for presenting Gladiators

Justin Fashanu - Famous for being a gay footballer who killed himself, and for one amazing goal.

Mick Channon - Famous for being a footballer turned legend in the horse racing world

In modern times, anybody under 18 would state these as the most famous ex Norwich players:-

Dean Ashton, Robert Green, Craig Bellamy and Darren Huckerby (although famous for flopping in the premiership it seems).

Anybody between 20 and 30 might state Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin.

Jeremy Goss solely for a few amazing goals, not that he did anything else. Liverpool fans would certainly know who Goss is.

Efan Ekuko found fame for his 4 goals in one match.

Gary Doherty is famously shit.

Then of course you have Gary Megson, Martin O''Neill and Steve Bruce who are now more famous for being managers rather than footballers, although Martin O''Neill was clearly an amazing player.

[/quote]

anybody who doesn''t know of Martin Peters isn''t a true football fan irrespective of whether they were alive back then

[/quote]

Rubbish. Anybody out of our small country could not be expected to know who Martin Peters is, too many people in this country live too far in the past. That goes to show just how long it is since we have had success. Im bored of the narrow mindededness of Ing-gerrrrr-landddd fans who think that we are at the centre of world football...... Pele, yes everybody would know him...... but Martin Peters? The truth is that we come from a significantly average footballing nation who havent won anything for 42 years. There have been what 10 world cups since that happened mate.

[/quote]

Yeah right Ryan. Go travel mate. England IS seen as the centre of football just not the best at it, but out of 200 nations in the FIFA group i''d say being in the top 10 makes us more than average wouldn''t you. Its THIS mentality about England that i hate. The ''any excuse to knock it'' mentality

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="JimRoyle"]Peters played for Norwich for five years so anyone of a certain age who doesn''t know he played for us isn''t a proper football fan! [;)] It''s more understandable if younger fans don''t know. How many people know that Geoff Hurst also played for Stoke and Roger Hunt played for Bolton?
[/quote]

Again, that is absolute rubbish and typical of little old Norwich''s perspective on the world.  Thats like me asking you to name the entire Stoke City squad from 1971 without checking google...... nobody but Ipswich, Norwich, West Ham and Spurs fans above the age of 40 should be expected to know that Martin Peters ever played for Norwich, he was an old man for a start and it was 9 years after he won the world cup. 

[/quote]

While I agree with some of your earlier points, I''m afraid I''m not having that. I had the pleasure of watching Peters at Norwich (and also playing against him when he went to non league football), and, regardless of age, the guy was absolute class on the pitch. It has nothing to do with "little old Norwich" but everything to do with a truly great player. Don''t dismiss the past so easily young man. Not everything today is better.

Peters the fashanus, woods, Channon, O Neill, Asa Hartford,  and Chris Sutton I would suggest

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

While I agree with some of your earlier points, I''m afraid I''m not having that. I had the pleasure of watching Peters at Norwich (and also playing against him when he went to non league football), and, regardless of age, the guy was absolute class on the pitch. It has nothing to do with "little old Norwich" but everything to do with a truly great player. Don''t dismiss the past so easily young man. Not everything today is better.

[/quote]

Well said Beau, totally agree.

Really difficult question due to generational differences.

Most City fans seem to to think that Martin Peters is the most famous, but does the wider footballing community agree? If you ask an outsider for the most famous City player would they remember him playing for us as his swansong, or would they think of him as being a Hammer or a Spur? He''s the most high profile to play for us by a long way, but that doesn''t neccesarily equate to fame.

I think if you asked the wider footballing community to name the player they most associate with Norwich, they would probably, at this moment in time, say Bryan Gunn. That could easily change in ten years time however. Likewise, nowhere near as many would have said Gunny if you''d have asked the question in December.

Lets remember there are more ''older'' people alive now than say under 35s. So by definition more older football fans who will remember the likes of Peters and his career. So it depends who you are talking to, not the small sample of people on this board who I suspect are under 35.