Sign in to follow this  
Don,tPanic

Need new defenders,not a forward!!

Fleming and Charlton are too small and too slow we need to give Shackle a go and bring a taller central defender in also Drury always gives the winger too much room and lets him cross the ball.

[quote]Fleming and Charlton are too small and too slow we need to give Shackle a go and bring a taller central defender in also Drury always gives the winger too much room and lets him cross the ball.[/quote]

I wrote a post along the same lines entitled "IS IT TIME FOR THE DOC" yesterday and people said things like "how many times have we conceded headed goals" or "we arn''t scoring enough goals, we dont need to change the defence". Like i said yesterday we only have to score one goal to win a game but if we let goals in, then we need to score more.

Today proved that fact!

AND THAT WAS QUITE A COSTLEY HEADED GOAL

secondly, i''d like someone to name a premiership club that has the two central defenders, both of which are under 6feet? (must be the first choice pair)

I dont agree at all, If we had someone to hold the ball up or put our opponents under pressure more consistantly our defence wouldn''t have to do the work it has recently. The defence is not the problem. The problem is however well we play we let the opposition have too much of the ball and eventually the defense cracks after stopping any number of chances.

[quote]I dont agree at all, If we had someone to hold the ball up or put our opponents under pressure more consistantly our defence wouldn''t have to do the work it has recently. The defence is not the proble...[/quote]

How can the defence not be the problem? look at the goals we have conceded. when do we win 50/50 headers? Sven comes back for every corner and freekick to mark the tallest player and when(if) we clear the ball it goes straight up the field to nobody that can challange for a header. then comes straight back catch22.

[quote]Fleming and Charlton are too small and too slow we need to give Shackle a go and bring a taller central defender in also Drury always gives the winger too much room and lets him cross the ball.[/quote]

Possibly we do need to give Shakell a go, especially if Charlton and Fleming start having a pop at each other on the pitch. Did anyone else see them having a set-to early in the 2nd half yesterday. It didn''t look good at all. Is this just the intensity and frustration getting to them or what? Whatever, it didn''t give out good signals.

I agree with the points on this post, however Fleming is the club captain (and has just penned a new deal), Drury is the matchday captain, and Eddy and Charlton have been superb this season. Most of the poor marking from crosses has been down to just that - poor marking, and not lack of height in our defence. If anything, a greater amount of organisation needs to be done in our defence. How did their only striker, and 5"9" striker at that, manage to get a free header?!

If you watched the game the problem was our midfield standing off and allowing blackburn to pile balls in to our box , if you put enough balls in eventually you will put one away as proved the point no way can you blame the defence for that .

Unless my memory deceives me their goal came from a free kick, one pass, swung into the box where it was headed in by the smallest bloke on the pitch and their only striker, and that''s the midfield''s fault!

Just like last week when Sibereski, or whatever his name was, won corners, free kicks, in fact absolutely everything in air. I suppose that was the midfield''s fault as well - something else Holt wasnt doing well enough.

It seems to me that Worthy isnt the only one to have favourites. This board has been very striking in recent weeks in that its been very fashionable to hammer Holt, and now Henderson, whilst others appear immune to criticism even when they cost us games and points.

I cannot see how Creative Midfielder (particularly with a name like that) can possibly agree that Holt''s performances in the Premiership have been acceptable.  Yes, he has the odd good moment and you cannot fault his workrate and commitment but his creativity?  I do not think he has any. How often have youseen him win the ball only to give it back by his lack of vision.  I believe that our midfield has been the major problem with our performances so far this year, causing heavy burdens on both defence and attack and until Worthy realises this, we will continue to struggle.

OTBC for ever

As welll as he''s done so far, I really think we have to admit that Simon Charlton is not a centre half! He played Half a Season there as cover at Bolton. That dosn''t make him an experienced central defender. We have 2 players in the reserves who are recognised centre halfs in the doc and jason shackell yet we persist in playing Charlton. Shackell is never gonna get the experience everyone says he lacks if he''s not playing, we all know he''s good enough, give him a game!

[quote]Unless my memory deceives me their goal came from a free kick, one pass, swung into the box where it was headed in by the smallest bloke on the pitch and their only striker, and that''s the midfield''s ...[/quote]

And unless my memory is deceiving was it not a midfielder who gave away the free kick in the first place , and if you are defending a free kick surly its also the midfields job to also help out at the back. As for charlton he has been terrific at the back .

I''m starting to have my doubts about Charlton as a centre half. Yesterday, as in other games, i''ve seen him committed - and then as a result  - out of position. Yes, he''s quick to recover; yes he''s brave; yes, he''s mobile. But commanding centre - no way.

I''d prefer to see him contesting left back with Shackell in the middle.

I cant see how a tall defender would have made any difference on saturday. Dickov and Bothroyd both caused us problems but not one of the was in the air - it was all on the ground stuff. Dickov turned Charlie so many times he must still be spinning while to goal game from a cross that was in the air for an age and either one of the central defenders should have won the ball or Eddie should have done his job and tracked the runner and beaten the smallest guy on the pitch for the goal.

Our defensive problems appear to be organisation - there isnt any. During the second Dickov caused Charlie so many problems yet where was Fleming to provide cover when Rovers only had 1 striker? Flem was the spare man yet not once did he or Drury tuck in to cover the threat Dickov was posing. Positioning sense should be there as standard but this and Eddies waywardness was exposed again for the goal. This has nothing to do with height and more about someone, anyone, taking control at the back and organising themselves and 3 other players.

Englands rugby team have a captain for part of the team - we need the same but currently lack anyone prepared to take some responsibility.

OTBC