Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Fleck still my hero

Just read the article and looked at the stills of the charity game featured on the front page of the Pink''un web site. Some great pics of some real City legends but the one who always made me feel excited is Flecky.I loved the guy when he played and thank him from the bottom of my heart for his contribution to my being in love with Norwich City and football. The passion, the aggression, the determination and the skill. Fleck had the lot and I loved watching him play because of all of those attributes. With the modern game full of players who only try when they can be bothered and with every mistimed tackle being awarded a yellow card I sometimes look back to those day when Flecky was putting himself about a bit and wish we could go back. Sometimes who am I kidding, I''d go back tomorrow if I could and I''d bloody well appreciate it even more than I did at the time!OTBC.

Looked in excellent shape in the stills - better than me and we''re the same age - barsteward ''cos I always understood he liked a drink or three like me!

Am I the only person that is really reminded of Flecky when I see young master Rooney? Strong as an ox, eye for goal, incredibly powerful shot, good in a scrap, lovely touch, quick over 5 yards etc etc... (ok, I''m talking about the first time round, not Fleck MkII which wasn''t quite so good)

[quote user="shefcanary"]Looked in excellent shape in the stills - better than me and we''re the same age - barsteward ''cos I always understood he liked a drink or three like me![/quote]he is scottish thoughits obligatory to be slightly blotto

i

I can remember when he signed for chelsea,I was at the match at the bridge,he turned towards the Norwich fans and kissed the chelsea badge,He went down in my estimation after that.On a good note,we went 2-0 down,came out 2nd half and beat em 2-3.

[quote user="Mook"]Am I the only person that is really reminded of Flecky when I see young master Rooney? Strong as an ox, eye for goal, incredibly powerful shot, good in a scrap, lovely touch, quick over 5 yards etc etc... (ok, I''m talking about the first time round, not Fleck MkII which wasn''t quite so good)
[/quote]

No, I''ve thought exactly the same thing myself. They both seem to have a tremendous passion for the game and enjoy themselves out on the pitch. I read somewhere recently that when Rooney first made it into the first team at Everton, he still used to love a kick about with his mates on the streets of Croxteth. You can''t imagine many of today''s pampered Ferrari owning footballers doing that!

[quote user="crowey66"]

i

I can remember when he signed for chelsea,I was at the match at the bridge,he turned towards the Norwich fans and kissed the chelsea badge,He went down in my estimation after that.On a good note,we went 2-0 down,came out 2nd half and beat em 2-3.

[/quote]I was there. Yes he kissed the badge. But his best football was played in yellow and green. You ask him where he was a legend and where he was a squad player. He''s yellow and green. He is was great for this club. I know what you’re saying but he got caught up in the money of football at a time when Norwich City where probably a better team than Chelsea. You work it out. I can''t!

[quote user="singing canary"]i would still throw him straight into the team .[/quote]Me too. That tenacity, the bite the desire. Missing for me from so many.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Robert Fleck - Canary legend although he wasn''t as good in his 2nd spell at the club![/quote]Understatement of the decade... [;)]"Old thrupenny bit head" in his second spell....I remember watching a few games back then and wondering what all the fuss was about. Then again it was during a period of major change for City. If I remember correctly Fleck was basically signed by Chase over the head of the incoming manager (Deehan?) in a cynical "lets give the supporters something to clap about" move.Still, he never lost the ability to wind up the away players/supporters!

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Robert Fleck - Canary legend although he wasn''t as good in his 2nd spell at the club![/quote]Understatement of the decade... [;)]"Old thrupenny bit head" in his second spell....I remember watching a few games back then and wondering what all the fuss was about. Then again it was during a period of major change for City. If I remember correctly Fleck was basically signed by Chase over the head of the incoming manager (Deehan?) in a cynical "lets give the supporters something to clap about" move.Still, he never lost the ability to wind up the away players/supporters![/quote]And do you remember him in his first spell with us?

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]And do you remember him in his first spell with us?[/quote]Yep, but I wasn''t old enough to go to the footy myself then and had no interested adult to take me. So I was aware what a player he was in his first spell with us, but I never saw it with my own eyes.

i''m unfortunate to only be able to recall his second spell with the club in the late 90''s where he wasn''t the same player. The fact he still works for the club and has stayed in the area since retirement reaffirms his love for the club to me.

Shame his nephew has broken into the Rangers side, maybe he could have got him down here on loan, the kid is going to be a star

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]And do you remember him in his first spell with us?[/quote]Yep, but I wasn''t old enough to go to the footy myself then and had no interested adult to take me. So I was aware what a player he was in his first spell with us, but I never saw it with my own eyes.

[/quote]He was commitment personified. With skill and quality. To watch him for me was a treat. Don''t be to fooled by his second spell with us or his time at Chelsea. When he was with us in his pomp he was superb.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="crowey66"]

i

[/quote]I was there. Yes he kissed the badge. But his best football was played in yellow and green. You ask him where he was a legend and where he was a squad player. He''s yellow and green. He is was great for this club. I know what you’re saying but he got caught up in the money of football at a time when Norwich City where probably a better team than Chelsea. You work it out. I can''t!

[/quote]

I went to watch ''The Damned United'' yesterday evening.

I would put Flecky''s badge kissing moment down to him being a bit of a hot headed character.

Just like Cloughie he was a very talented, passionate individual who loved nothing better than a real fight.

There are often two sides to such characters in life (same with Bellamy throughout much of his career).

I would not change a thing about either of them (other than it would of been something to see them in the same side together maybe).

Flecky gave us so many moments to be proud of... such a shame that none of his tremendous goals for us appear to be online.

My oh my how I wish I could watch a bit of Flecky in the yella & green right now!

[quote user="Mook"]Am I the only person that is really reminded of Flecky when I see young master Rooney? Strong as an ox, eye for goal, incredibly powerful shot, good in a scrap, lovely touch, quick over 5 yards etc etc... (ok, I''m talking about the first time round, not Fleck MkII which wasn''t quite so good)[/quote]

.....and same IQ....bless

[quote user="IBA"]

.....and same IQ....bless
[/quote]

True. I still find it incredible that these ... erm ... not very clever people can have so much guile and intelligence on a football pitch though. Paul Gascoigne''s another one.

He works at a special needs school in Norwich, where my GF sometimes works...she says he is a very nice gent!

Im hoping perhaps I can get a signed shirt from him :D

Unfortunately I never got to see him playing for Norwich, who would you compare him to nowadays?

[quote user="shefcanary"]Looked in excellent shape in the stills - better than me and we''re the same age - barsteward ''cos I always understood he liked a drink or three like me![/quote]he does like a tipple...when i was playing he was going to manage a team we played NORWICH UTD in ridgeons league 1...i was lucky enough to stay behind and have a few drinks with the legend..he likes his shorts hence not much of a beer belly...but i could hardly understand a word he said the scottish was very strong...top bloke i dont think HE paid for a drink all night lol

H e was the first player i truly saw as a legend, my first game being in the 89/90 season with my dad... i even painted a cardboard box framed picture of the man himself with ''ROBOT FLOCK'' scrawled in the corner!! True legend!!

I still look back at my season review VHS vids and check out the legend in action....

He''s still my hero too [:D]

Another player who fell in love with Norfolk and never left, as someone said works at a Special Needs school, does a bit of scouting for us and is a real comedian who never stops smiling.

What do you all rate as his best goal? Millwall away? We went two up early on in a televised game (unheard of still.....) Millwall came back to 2-2 and were pushing for a winner we broke down the right and (Phelan?) a cross from the right came in and Fleck turned and vollyed in from the edge of the box. The Den. Getting out of there was ...... interesting

Fleckys best goal imo was in my first ever match.. rumbelows cup 4th or 5th round i think.. not sure which.. against the spammers.... think the ball was headed clear by Tim Breaker for them and flecky just creamed it, even Better than Gossys Munich effort....

check it out on the 91/92 season review.

jas :)