Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Shaun

Internet Explorer 8

Ever since downloading this new Internet Explorer, my post box has become very small. I can''t do any text editing such as colour, size, bold, etc. I can''t quote any posts and I cant do any smileys. Anybody got the same problems, or know what to do? Thanks.

You need to run the page in ''compatibility view'' - click on the broken piece of paper on the right hand side of the address bar to enable this.

The golden rule in the land of computers is to NEVER download updates for the atrocious IE.Better still, completely erase it from your computer.

Yep, the best way to fix this is to download Firefox, then close down IE8, go to your program list and click ''uninstall'' on Internet Explorer.  Then you''ll never have to worry about compatibility or piss-poor design ever again.....

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]You need to run the page in ''compatibility view'' - click on the broken piece of paper on the right hand side of the address bar to enable this.[/quote]

nice one mate [:D]

Out of the 4 replies you got I can''t believe that was the one you chose to listen to.Oh well, you are IE deserve eachother then.

[quote user="Duffman"]Out of the 4 replies you got I can''t believe that was the one you chose to listen to.

Oh well, you are IE deserve eachother then.
[/quote]

i didn`t get any replies its not my thread ,i  was having the same problem though

[quote user="First Wizard"]IE 8 is superb for me, does everything I want for me and is essential for Canaries World.[/quote]Nah, Canaries World works fine with Firefox, despite what they say. You just need the Windows Media plugin installed.

[quote user="Captain Obvious"][quote user="First Wizard"]IE 8 is superb for me, does everything I want for me and is essential for Canaries World.[/quote]

Nah, Canaries World works fine with Firefox, despite what they say. You just need the Windows Media plugin installed.
[/quote]

Srtill doesn''t mean IE8 isn''t brilliant in the right hands Ron , its still superb for me.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Srtill doesn''t mean IE8 isn''t brilliant in the right hands Ron , its still superb for me.[Y]

[/quote]And to think some people say you are ignorant Wiz! What do they know...

I use Firefox, but google Chrome is very good and would recommend it if you''re looking for a new browser.

Not only is IE6 unsupported by Microsoft, and has been for years (since XP Service Pack 3) - it''s rendering (box model) is amazingly buggy, to the extent that most sites have to work around IE6 specifically.This is probably why you don''t have many problems, but I would expect that less developers are going to bother with proper IE6 support now that IE8 has been released. You really should upgrade to at least IE7 - it is free, after all.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

And to think some people say you are ignorant Wiz! What do they know...
[/quote]

As IE8, indeed Explorer in general, is trouble free for me, it suggests I do know what I''m doing![:|]

Thanks for all the help everyone, If I can''t get what the first poster said to work on here I''ll try one of the other browsers, cheers.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]You need to run the page in ''compatibility view'' - click on the broken piece of paper on the right hand side of the address bar to enable this.[/quote]

Excellent, worked perfectly, thanks a lot [Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]And to think some people say you are ignorant Wiz! What do they know...[/quote]

As IE8, indeed Explorer in general, is trouble free for me, it suggests I do know what I''m doing![:|]

[/quote]If it works for you, good. But generally internet explorer is poorly made in comparison to Firefox, even Google Chrome to an extent. Firefox, Wiz, also has tons of customization features, plus tons of add-ons - so that you can download youtube videos etc, maybe even the canaries world ones, since some of the plugins allow you to download any embedded video.Maybe its not of interest to you. But if it is, give it a try. In fact, i have a table of comparison of the site here:                                                                                                  FIREFOX - IE

Compatible with modern Web pages and technologies Check Check
Active security features and the industry’s fastest response times Check  
Thousands of free ways to personalize your online experience Check  
Superior speed and performance Check  
100% free and open source software Check

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.[/quote]Even against OSX?

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.[/quote]Even against OSX?[/quote]Not a fan of the Apples work to be honest. You can pretty much get the same for free with Linux. To be fair, the same applies to windows. Windows is so much simpler however and in terms of compatibility with games and other software, its logical to have a windows pc at the moment.I have a mini laptop, which runs a distribution of linux and i like it very much.

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.[/quote]Even against OSX?[/quote]Oh no, an Apple fan boy! You''ll probably try and convince us how good iTunes is next... [:|]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.[/quote]Even against OSX?[/quote]Not a fan of the Apples work to be honest. You can pretty much get the same for free with Linux. To be fair, the same applies to windows. Windows is so much simpler however and in terms of compatibility with games and other software, its logical to have a windows pc at the moment.I have a mini laptop, which runs a distribution of linux and i like it very much.[/quote]To say Windows is more simple than OSX is ludicrous in my opinion.And, the iTunes question, well what is seriously out there, in mass distribution that is any better?  Seeing as I have an iPhone and iPod, I don''t fancy using anything else when the whole End User experience is so well put together, and that''s one of the reasons why the iPod is so successful.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.[/quote]Even against OSX?[/quote]Not a fan of the Apples work to be honest. You can pretty much get the same for free with Linux. To be fair, the same applies to windows. Windows is so much simpler however and in terms of compatibility with games and other software, its logical to have a windows pc at the moment.I have a mini laptop, which runs a distribution of linux and i like it very much.[/quote]To say Windows is more simple than OSX is ludicrous in my opinion.And, the iTunes question, well what is seriously out there, in mass distribution that is any better?  Seeing as I have an iPhone and iPod, I don''t fancy using anything else when the whole End User experience is so well put together, and that''s one of the reasons why the iPod is so successful.[/quote]It''s fair enough i guess. Maybe the OSX is more simple. What i was trying to say is that most modern software (and past for that matter) is written for the mass market, which is the windows operating system. Sure the OSX is attractive and feels good, but i just dont feel its really worth it when you can get essentially the same from Linux,which is constantly improved thanks to open source.iTunes seems to crash almost as much as Safari did.

[/quote]Only Microsoft are capable of releasing an internet browser that needs run in ''compatability mode'' to erm.... browse the internet.I will defend their operating systems to the death though except ''Millenium'' and ''Vista'' but they were both shortfall releases anyway.[/quote]Even against OSX?[/quote]Yes. I understand this is a very slick OS but as a custom builder since the early ''80''s the Mac ''out the box'' approach has nothing to offer me, I just find the Mac OS too restrictive both in terms of hardware and software.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Oh no, an Apple fan boy! You''ll probably try and convince us how good iTunes is next... [:|][/quote]Forgive them… they know not what they say![*-)]

I have used both systems, I don''t claim to know everything about computers, in fact the beauty of not having to know about them makes using Apple computers an absolute breeze. Using a PC and all associated software for me was a nightmare, always lots of viruses (and then having to buy or use the relevant virus stuff). With Apple nothing needed. No viruses, no hassle, great customer service from John Lewis every time I need it (which I haven''t since purchase).

Oh and great news, an Apple store is opening in the city soon. I also have an ipod which I use every day, wonderful so is iTunes.

Proud not to have anything IE or Windows on my computer, and guess what the world still turns round.