Sign in to follow this  
canaries

sad for football if saints go out of buisness

[quote user="canaries"]

its the fans that suffer thats why iam not going to gloat, this could easily happen to us in the future,

[/quote]

Certainly will be!

I just hope that all those who slag Delia and CO look at this and realise that they are very wrong to do so!

And before I get accused of being a board brown noser - I want the board out because I think they have taken the club as far as they can and they know that but until that seemingly elusive better option comes along then we could do much worse!

It all went wrong when they named their new stadium St Mary''s - St Mary''s! Mother of Jesus! who''d want to be seen dead at a place called St Mary''s?Lets not get sentimental, lets nab in and buy their best players on the cheap, maybe tow their hot-dog stall back here too if it''s on wheels, if they have a statue of Mick Channon, we''ll have that too!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]It all went wrong when they named their new stadium St Mary''s - St Mary''s! Mother of Jesus! who''d want to be seen dead at a place called St Mary''s?

Lets not get sentimental, lets nab in and buy their best players on the cheap, maybe tow their hot-dog stall back here too if it''s on wheels, if they have a statue of Mick Channon, we''ll have that too!
[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]

It''s very sad indeed. I wonder what will happen to their lovely stadium if the worst should happen? It wouldn''t be torn down, surely? I wonder if the locals will club together and form a new football club? I would hope that is what we would all do if, god forbid, it should ever happen to us.

[/quote]

I hear Pompey have just shelved their new stadium plans.  Perhaps their owners are looking to acquire a new stadium on the cheap - franchise football through the back door.  You heard it hear first! Wink [;)]

[quote user="John Boubepo"]It all went wrong when they named their new stadium St Mary''s - St Mary''s! Mother of Jesus! who''d want to be seen dead at a place called St Mary''s?

Lets not get sentimental, lets nab in and buy their best players on the cheap, maybe tow their hot-dog stall back here too if it''s on wheels, if they have a statue of Mick Channon, we''ll have that too!
[/quote]

Ah well done! A great tradition continued. The totally unnecessary, under-the-belt, unpleasant, off topic and pointless post mocking the sincerely held beliefs of other people. Why the Pinkun wouldn''t be the same without it! So well done you! Why miss the opportunity to insult the Virgin Mary if it arises? Why not just join the last socially acceptable bigotry- Catholic bashing! It is so easy and unlike those scary Muslims they probably won''t come after you for it. So enjoy my friend. Let out all the hatred, bash away! Let us see how wonderfully enlightened you are and just how silly and ill educated those simple ''faith folk'' must be!

Thank you so much for the contribution. As a man of faith it only insulted me as much as if you had mocked my earthly mother or friend- but hey- it was easy wasn''t it!

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

[quote user="John Boubepo"]It all went wrong when they named their new stadium St Mary''s - St Mary''s! Mother of Jesus! who''d want to be seen dead at a place called St Mary''s?Lets not get sentimental, lets nab in and buy their best players on the cheap, maybe tow their hot-dog stall back here too if it''s on wheels, if they have a statue of Mick Channon, we''ll have that too![/quote]

Ah well done! A great tradition continued. The totally unnecessary, under-the-belt, unpleasant, off topic and pointless post mocking the sincerely held beliefs of other people. Why the Pinkun wouldn''t be the same without it! So well done you! Why miss the opportunity to insult the Virgin Mary if it arises? Why not just join the last socially acceptable bigotry- Catholic bashing! It is so easy and unlike those scary Muslims they probably won''t come after you for it. So enjoy my friend. Let out all the hatred, bash away! Let us see how wonderfully enlightened you are and just how silly and ill educated those simple ''faith folk'' must be!

Thank you so much for the contribution. As a man of faith it only insulted me as much as if you had mocked my earthly mother or friend- but hey- it was easy wasn''t it!

[/quote]I genuinely enjoy your posts usually VIYAG, but do you just wait around for someone to say something that references ''the good book'' and then jump on them? That comment was just a jokey, off-the-cuff remark and you''re trying to stir up another religious debate off the back off it? Seriously, give it a rest....Oh, and I''m with Wiz on this. I couldn''t give a toss about Saints if it kept us up. Ask yourself how they would feel if the tables were turned?

[quote user="John Boubepo"]It all went wrong when they named their new stadium St Mary''s - St Mary''s! Mother of Jesus! who''d want to be seen dead at a place called St Mary''s?Lets not get sentimental, lets nab in and buy their best players on the cheap, maybe tow their hot-dog stall back here too if it''s on wheels, if they have a statue of Mick Channon, we''ll have that too![/quote]

[/quote]You know me Vicar, I''m always happy to share my ignorance with everyone

I just hope that the Saints sittuation may be the bit of realisim that will give the powers that be a kick up the arss to restore some order in football, rather than the glamour show which is the PL.

Just like the England team,over paid over rated popstars,  

[quote user="John Boubepo"]

[/quote]

Now that is the best idea on this thread, John.

[quote user="missing in action"][quote user="canaries"]remember our debt is 20 million and rising[/quote]actually. it went down 0.4m last year. [/quote]Not if you factor in directors loans.

[/quote]

Spare a thought for people like myself who find all religions insulting, Vicar.I''m sure I''m not alone. [:P]

I will spare you a thought- which is why I did not post an insulting word against atheists.

I find the excuse that this was a joke a little strange. Is that not how racism was defending in the sixties and seventies? Would people have let this post go if it ha d said ''black man''s stadium'' who would be seen dead there?

Secondly someone please explain how it was a joke or in anyway funny? I cannot see a single joke, word play or anything here - only a pointless and cynical dig at faith which seeks to undermine Catholicism in particular. If it had been ajoke I would have let it pass.

And for the record I do NOT want a debate on the merits for or against faith. Believe what you will, hold whatever opinion you wish with regard to religion- but please do not be so rude as to mock the sincerely  held beliefs of other posters. I feel we can do better than that.

And if I seem to repeatedly jump on such comments- perhaps that says more about the frequency of such unacceptable anti-Christian polemic than it does about my over sensitivity.

So no need for any further debate, let us stick to the football and what unites us and avoid inflammatory remarks that divide us. An apology would be nice but not essential. Sorry if you find my presence annoying but I am not willing to let people get away with insulting Christians, it is called standingup for my faith.

I will spare you a thought- which is why I did not post an insulting word against atheists.

I find the excuse that this was a joke a little strange. Is that not how racism was defending in the sixties and seventies? Would people have let this post go if it ha d said ''black man''s stadium'' who would be seen dead there?

Secondly someone please explain how it was a joke or in anyway funny? I cannot see a single joke, word play or anything here - only a pointless and cynical dig at faith which seeks to undermine Catholicism in particular. If it had been ajoke I would have let it pass.

And for the record I do NOT want a debate on the merits for or against faith. Believe what you will, hold whatever opinion you wish with regard to religion- but please do not be so rude as to mock the sincerely  held beliefs of other posters. I feel we can do better than that.

And if I seem to repeatedly jump on such comments- perhaps that says more about the frequency of such unacceptable anti-Christian polemic than it does about my over sensitivity.

So no need for any further debate, let us stick to the football and what unites us and avoid inflammatory remarks that divide us. An apology would be nice but not essential. Sorry if you find my presence annoying but I am not willing to let people get away with insulting Christians, it is called standingup for my faith.

[/quote]Steady on Vicar I think you are over cooking it a bit now, I didn''t know the Virgin Mary or Mick Channon were Catholics, I just thought St Mary''s sounded a bit naff and girl schoolish, I didn''t mean to insult or Bash any Bishops, Catholic or otherwise! 

Vicar - [quote]So no need for any further debate[/quote]

No, Vicar, I will have my say on the subject of religion:The purpose of religion is the employment and the empowerment of clergy - that''s its only purpose - we don''t matter, we''ve never mattered - you don''t seriously think those old frauds in the Vatican really believe in God do you? God is for the little people like you & I and the clergy do very well out of it - how well exactly? Well let''s ask the Archbishop of Canterbury which one of his two palaces he''s currently staying in - that''ll be the same Archbishop of Canterbury who is busy trying to crowbar Sharia Law into British life; another good example of how some Christian clergy are so unprincipled that they''ll hitch their wagon to a religion they despise as heretical in order to help push unwanted religious values into society at large, because to them, any religious values are better than none.Secularism is not the same thing as atheism, Vicar - you''d do well to remember that.

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

[/quote]

Steady on Vicar I think you are over cooking it a bit now, I didn''t know the Virgin Mary or Mick Channon were Catholics, I just thought St Mary''s sounded a bit naff and girl schoolish, I didn''t mean to insult or Bash any Bishops, Catholic or otherwise! 
[/quote]

You are right, Boubepo, St Mary''s does sound naff, but that was not the tone emanating from of the original post that bothered VIYAG.  If they want a manly name the screams awesome destruction, they should have named themselves the Southampton Canaries. [Y]

[quote user="shyster"]Vicar - [quote]So no need for any further debate[/quote]

No, Vicar, I will have my say on the subject of religion:

The purpose of religion is the employment and the empowerment of clergy - that''s its only purpose - we don''t matter, we''ve never mattered - you don''t seriously think those old frauds in the Vatican really believe in God do you? God is for the little people like you & I and the clergy do very well out of it - how well exactly? Well let''s ask the Archbishop of Canterbury which one of his two palaces he''s currently staying in - that''ll be the same Archbishop of Canterbury who is busy trying to crowbar Sharia Law into British life; another good example of how some Christian clergy are so unprincipled that they''ll hitch their wagon to a religion they despise as heretical in order to help push unwanted religious values into society at large, because to them, any religious values are better than none.

Secularism is not the same thing as atheism, Vicar - you''d do well to remember that.
[/quote]

The missionaries go forth to Christianise the savages—as if the savages weren’t dangerous enough already.

I am a veteran supporter and have never liked Southampton from the day they bought Ron Davies from us. I still think he was our best ever centre forward.

They were a league above us at the time, so had the clout.

We did get our own back a bit when we got Andy Townsend from them.

I feel though that relegation by the administration route is taking revenge too far, except if it keeps us up.

i wouldn''t wish them out of business, if they lose 10 pts (as, i believe they should) and are relegated, and this ultimately saves us, then good. i don''t care how we stay up, just stay up. but i wouldn''t wish folding completely on anyone,...well...maybe one teamas hairy said i do find it quite ironic that this whole situation, played out fully, could result in luton (norwich reserves) - who were punished for the previous incumbents failings. - being saved from going out of the league.does this mean the anglian combination will be one short next year. if so can we enter norwich reserves (no, the real ones)on religion, live and let live. but i believe chris rock said it best in dogma "it''s good to have an idea, you can change an idea, but a belief..."

[quote user="icoopius"]i wouldn''t wish them out of business, if they lose 10 pts (as, i believe they should) and are relegated, and this ultimately saves us, then good. i don''t care how we stay up, just stay up. but i wouldn''t wish folding completely on anyone,...well...maybe one teamas hairy said i do find it quite ironic that this whole situation, played out fully, could result in luton (norwich reserves) - who were punished for the previous incumbents failings. - being saved from going out of the league.does this mean the anglian combination will be one short next year. if so can we enter norwich reserves (no, the real ones)on religion, live and let live. but i believe chris rock said it best in dogma "it''s good to have an idea, you can change an idea, but a belief..."[/quote]Is based on something......

[quote user="icoopius"]i wouldn''t wish them out of business, if they lose 10 pts (as, i believe they should) and are relegated, and this ultimately saves us, then good. i don''t care how we stay up, just stay up. but i wouldn''t wish folding completely on anyone,...well...maybe one teamas hairy said i do find it quite ironic that this whole situation, played out fully, could result in luton (norwich reserves) - who were punished for the previous incumbents failings. - being saved from going out of the league.does this mean the anglian combination will be one short next year. if so can we enter norwich reserves (no, the real ones)on religion, live and let live. but i believe chris rock said it best in dogma "it''s good to have an idea, you can change an idea, but a belief..."[/quote]I wouldn''t like to see any football club go out of buisiness - not even the heathen scum down the road. After all if they went out of buisiness who would we have to hate and berrate when there is nothing better to do. I would then have to start being able to say the place name which is like blasphemy in my house. Nope, I am sorry - I wouldn''t wish it on any one other than perhaps Real Madrid and that''s because I blame them for all of the ''galacticos'' rubbish which has lead to overpaid, overhyped and overrated players flooding the market.

i understand (it was just meant slightly jovially) , and agree chicken (i sound like that bloomin woman off big brother something.)just been on SFC page on 606, and there''s a portsmouth fan saying he hopes they don''t disappear. made me realise how our lives would be slightly emptier without those from the south.who would we feel superior to Wink [;)] whatever the table may sayalthough i would say that madrid are merely the culmination of the extravegance of the italian transfer policy in the late 80''s and 90''s (not impling madrid is in italy btwConfused [*-)] obviously they''re german)

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know me Vicar, I''m always happy to share my ignorance with everyone
[/quote]

You said it! It was called St Mary''s in honour of their founder members who came from, not surprisingly, St Mary''s Church football team forming Southampton St Mary''s. Also from Wiki:

The official ground name at opening was ''The Friends Provident St Mary''s Stadium''. Initially the club wanted the ground to be named purely after the sponsors, but fan pressure influenced the decision to include a non-commercial title, and hence the ground is now nearly always referred to simply as ''St Mary''s''. It is a rare example of fans successfully influencing club stadium naming policy in recent years, and one which earned Southampton fans respect amongst many other football fans.

[quote user="book end"][quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

[/quote]

You know me Vicar, I''m always happy to share my ignorance with everyone [/quote]

You said it! It was called St Mary''s in honour of their founder members who came from, not surprisingly, St Mary''s Church football team forming Southampton St Mary''s. Also from Wiki:

The official ground name at opening was ''The Friends Provident St Mary''s Stadium''. Initially the club wanted the ground to be named purely after the sponsors, but fan pressure influenced the decision to include a non-commercial title, and hence the ground is now nearly always referred to simply as ''St Mary''s''. It is a rare example of fans successfully influencing club stadium naming policy in recent years, and one which earned Southampton fans respect amongst many other football fans.

[/quote]Good grief! you mean the Catholic church was allowed to run a boys football team? I only read  today, that there is such a shortage of priests these days....... alter boys have to grope themselves!... from Wiki

Yah, you can give it up now, John BoPeep. Being offensive is OBVIOUSLY your goal, as VIYAG pointed out originally. It wasn''t funny the first time, so that generally means it will not be funny after that either.

It would be much better for us, if Southampton goes tits up, that they were ahead of us in the table, not behind. 

SHould they fold, it will only give our present board (should we avoid relegation) more reason to not spend money on our team even though we are WAY more supported by the populace than Southampton or almost every other Coca Cola club.

[quote user="shyster"]Vicar - [quote]So no need for any further debate[/quote]

No, Vicar, I will have my say on the subject of religion:

The purpose of religion is the employment and the empowerment of clergy - that''s its only purpose - we don''t matter, we''ve never mattered - you don''t seriously think those old frauds in the Vatican really believe in God do you? God is for the little people like you & I and the clergy do very well out of it - how well exactly? Well let''s ask the Archbishop of Canterbury which one of his two palaces he''s currently staying in - that''ll be the same Archbishop of Canterbury who is busy trying to crowbar Sharia Law into British life; another good example of how some Christian clergy are so unprincipled that they''ll hitch their wagon to a religion they despise as heretical in order to help push unwanted religious values into society at large, because to them, any religious values are better than none.

Secularism is not the same thing as atheism, Vicar - you''d do well to remember that.
[/quote]

this isn''t a dig at you Shyster just a comment in general, as an atheist myself I''ve never seen the constant need for church bashing, it shows a lack of class in my opinion (or an insecurity in ones own beliefs), if you want your views respected it should be a basic human requirement to respect those of others. The fact that VIYAG doesn''t want to debate religion is regretable though understandable on this forum, he''s hardly likely to get a reasoned debate in this environment. A question, despite my atheism, has our society improved as a result of having less religious values in it over the last 40 years?

When secularism was first written about in the 19th century it was not used to actively critise or or dismiss religious belief , simply to seperate church from state and to promote other non religious based (philosophical and scientific) beliefs. True secularism should promote it''s own strengths without the need  for criticising organised religions.

Ditto Duffman, although I don''t know any Southampton fans, I am sure we can all have an idea how they must be feeling and also the knock on effect the city of Southampton itself. It''s certainly nothing for any other set of fans to gloat over or be glad about. There for the grace of God and all that......

Maybe if Southampton really do go to the wall completely the footballing world will sit up and the powers that be will take a concentrated look at the distribution of wealth in all leagues.

It''s very sad because, like us, Southampton have a proud history of punching above their weight until recent years - and I have always enjoyed their efforts to play football the "right" way.I have particularly fond memories of Matt Le Tissier, who was one of the most gifted and creative (and lazy) players I have ever seen play - the closest thing to a British Cantona.