Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Henderson

The coaching staff have to put their hands up and admit that they made a terrible substitution. I agreed with taking Jonson off but Mcveigh should of taken his position and Mulryan should of been bought on as a playmaker. I am not asking for heads to role - but they should admit they messed up. We need more playmaking in the centre of the park and that means safri or mulryan in for holt of francis.

He didnt lose us the match single handedly, I would have chosen Mulryne for example over him but he''s not the sole reason 3 points went astray today.

stop looking for a scapegoat, Henderson didn''t lose us the game, give the guy a break. As for Bentley, maybe i''m missing something but "big time Charlie" has done very little to warrant his place on the bench let alone on the pitch, hope someone buys him some "shooting boots" for christmas.

[quote]stop looking for a scapegoat, Henderson didn''t lose us the game, give the guy a break. As for Bentley, maybe i''m missing something but "big time Charlie" has done very little to warrant his place on t...[/quote]

Well said Marty.

[quote]stop looking for a scapegoat, Henderson didn''t lose us the game, give the guy a break. As for Bentley, maybe i''m missing something but "big time Charlie" has done very little to warrant his place on t...[/quote]

I''m not looking for a scapegoat but..............

Henderson coming on totally stopped our attacking options in 2nd half.
Edworthy couldn''t risk any overlapping on the right hand side for fear of no cover.
Any ball played to Henderson resulted in a return ball straight to the originator as Henderson has either the lack of ability or confidence to take anyone on.
Any balls played across midfield to switch play came to an abrupt holt when the option was to pass to him.Lost count of times Francis recieved ball from the left only for him to think "****! the only option is Hendo.Better pass it back on left"

Quite what Helveg must be thinking sitting on the bench and to see Henderson get the nod before him I really can''t imagine

Henderson only played a handful of games last season in Division One, and even then he wasn''t really up to it. So what Worthy was thinking fielding him in a Premiership match over Mullers, McVeigh and even Helveg I don''t know

[quote]Henderson only played a handful of games last season in Division One, and even then he wasn''t really up to it. So what Worthy was thinking fielding him in a Premiership match over Mullers, McVeigh and...[/quote]

Henderson actually made 20 appearances last season, and I seem to remember some of them were quite useful. He also performs consistently well for England - possibly because he actually gets played in his proper position - not an option that NW seems to have considered.

Henderson isn''t really a winger, so playing an inexperienced young lad out of position in such an important game was suicide. Worthy keeps going on about ball retention, so why the hell did he not put on one of the three of the best/most experienced ball retaining players we have on the bench? I hope he learns from this game, much like he did when we played West Brom this time last year when he started, bafflingly, with Iwan up front on his own and we pretty much gave the game to them. The one thing about Worthy is that, while the message does take a while to get through, he does eventually learn by his mistakes. Let''s hope yesterday''s lesson is the kick start to some wins.

I believe it''s unfair to have a go at Henderson. He is a young inexperienced player. If he is not ready for first team premiership football then the manager and coaching staff must take the blame for playing him. He gave his best and that''s all we can ask. If he was an experienced international like Helveg then we could slag him off ''til kingdom come, but he''s not. He''s still learning.

I thought McVeigh coming on as sub had a much greater influence on Blackburn equalising. When Huckerby was on the left wing he was pinning back their right back and right midfielder, always giving them something to think about. Once Hucks was moved into the middle their centre backs marked him. This allowed their fullback and winger to push on at Drury without worrying about Hucks hitting them on the counter attack on that flank. McVeigh was nowhere to be seen.

I agree with Creative Midfielder on this one - I do not feel we should write Hendo off - Like of good wine, he needs to mature and be nurtured and in his case, also feeding up as he is far too lightweight.  As has been said many times before on this Board, he would also benefit from a loan spell in a lower division where he might realise his potential - that is, if he is allowed to play in his preferred position.

Give the lad a chance (but not in our team - yet!)

OTBC for ever

I must admit that this was a strange substitution to make at half time.  Facing ten men I felt we needed someone who could spray the ball about and exploit the space and/or someone who could shore up the middle as we were still more or less playing three upfront.  (Mulryne and/or Helveg then).  I just couldn''t see what having Hendo on would gain for us and I''m sorry that it turned out to be as I feared.

It''s not a case of slagging Hendo off - it wasn''t his fault, he was just the wrong man at the wrong time. Worthy just got it wrong; we needed someone with a little more savvy attacking them. Unfortunately for Hendo, he just hasn''t quite got the skills (yet) to be able to put his foot on the ball. Too many times he tried to get past the last defender, lost the ball and we found ourselves caught on the break. He''d do well to learn from Jonson, who I think is excellent at being able to look up and say, ''ok, no options, I''ll keep hold of the ball until there is one''. But then half our fans boo when we pass the ball around at the back - we''ve still got the ball but they still ''aint happy, so what do I know....

Hendo was no worse than Helveg was in the first half vs Everton and yet he was excused by many because of his pedigree and because he played out of position (surprising since many were including him in their speculative teams in that position and he was supposed to be mr versatile). Hendo''s a kid with potential trying his best - not a player seeing out the rest of his career. Give him a break. In hindsight McVeigh might have been a better option but if we''d held on for four more minutes this board would be singing a different tune and Hendo spared the abuse

I am SOOO glad that some people finally agree with me that Henderson is rubbish. I''ve had this argument on another thread and got slaughtered for saying he is crap (oh and by the way Marty you really top-notch amateur footballer who is obviosuly way better than me even though you have never seen me play, I mean crap for the level he''s playing at - not compared to me, don''t want you getting confused now do we!!)He quite simply has nothing at all to offer the side and to bring him on effectively said we had a better chance of winning the game with him in the side rather than Bentley or McVeigh which is quite frankly ludicrous. Sorry but the lad just isn''t up to it and I don''t think he ever will be. People have got to stop believing that youth automatically means potential - it doesn''t...