Sign in to follow this  
Theres only one Ken Foggo

Ten point penalty - a clarification

Some people seem to be under the impression that because the deadline has passed Southampton won''t have to suffer any loss of points THIS season. This is not true - have a look at this report from when the rule change came into effect.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2314901/Football-League-vote-to-close-Leeds-loophole.html

Yes interesting stuff. I think we all know it could go either way, but I would be surprised if they got deducted 10 points this season.

If they get enough points to survive they  and the league will be embroiled in legal action to by the 3rd from bottom team. If they are not docked points then it is atotal abuse of the system and will result in anarchy as other teams will set up holding companies to avoid poit deductions. When the league meet on tuesday i would be surprised if they do not deduct points, the feeling from other league teams not just the championship is building up strongly. There have been far too many casualties  the Saints should get docked points though i do hope they survive

[quote user="JimRoyle"]I really don''t see how they can fail to be docked points, the mess they''re in financially. But I hope they don''t fold - that would be a tragedy.
[/quote]

I have said for years now that it is only a matter of time before a football league club folds and looking at southampton would not be suprised if it was them. It is always nasty so see a club fold and i know they have got low crowds this season but it is clear they are well supported and would be sad to see a club which was in the top flight for so long go down.

Although I do not see how they can get away without getting a points deduction as Leeds got a deduction for exposing the loophole so Southampton should get the same.

Whatever happens I would not like to be on the football league board. Not deduct points and leeds, luton, bouremouth and co will not be happy while deduct the points will cause problems. If Southampton fold teams will be appealing about not going up or staying up because of points lost from southampton game

Do not want to see them fold, be a sad day for football and it''s supporters. If they did would they then start up again as did Wimbledon or would the supporters switch to Portsmouth.[;)]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If they get enough points to survive they  and the league will be embroiled in legal action to by the 3rd from bottom team. If they are not docked points then it is atotal abuse of the system and will result in anarchy as other teams will set up holding companies to avoid poit deductions. When the league meet on tuesday i would be surprised if they do not deduct points, the feeling from other league teams not just the championship is building up strongly. There have been far too many casualties  the Saints should get docked points though i do hope they survive[/quote]If Southampton finish the season out of the bottom three then I can''t believe there won''t be legal action over this, either way. If Southampton get docked points they will sue (if they can afford to!) and if they don''t then other clubs will sue.However, there is a cunning solution that the League could adopt in this case, before deciding how to close this loophole. Work out what percentage of the holding company''s debt is football-related (ie, to do with the club and the stadium) and what is related to the other (minor) subsidiaries that have little or nothing to do with football. Then dock points accordingly, on a percentage basis.So if one-third of the debt is football-related, dock three points; if two-thirds dock six points, and if 90 per cent is football-related, dock nine points.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]A very sensible compromise but sadly too sensible for the mandarins who run the football league![/quote]Oh, I don''t know, Jim. Stranger things have happened!Best wishes,Neil Don...sorry, forgetting myself there for a moment...Best wishes,PurpleCanary