Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Wednesday

I recall warning everybody after the recent euphoria that there would be a disappointing result before the season ended. I can only hope that this game was the one because we can''t afford another lack lustre performance like this.

Wednesday looked the better team from the first minute to last and to be fair anything but 3 points would have been hard on them. In retrospect we seem to have played the wrong team. I was very surprised when Lee did not start up front, we looked far to lightweight and never really threatened to get in front. After 30 minutes I said to my son that we badly needed to get to half time all square and with a bit of luck we did that. Unfortunately Gunny did not learn the lesson and I for one was flabbergasted when the same eleven came out for the second half. I thought the mid field looked decidedly weak and the Lappin Carney combination on the left centre just never got into the game. Rusty''s red card really came home to roost today.

The goal that always threatened came early in the second half thanks to a wicked deflection off Semmy and it really summed up his contribution. He was dreadfull today, slow to react and continually caught in possession. Doc and Shack were again immense in the middle of defence but apart from that the whole lot were not up to the mark.The game is won and lost in the middle and Wednesday bossed this area for the entire 90 minutes.

As for the goal that never was, I can''t really comment as I was 100+ yards away but if it was a poor decision then can we really be surprised because its been like this all season. In any event we are still out of the bottom three and all is still to play for.

I can''t believe how bad we were today, never really looked like scoring and as you say Wednesday were the better side for most of the game. The most worrying thing for me was the lack of passion and agression, a nuetral would have thought Wednesday were the team needing the three points. As soon as the goal went in we looked a beaten side which was also very disappointing, I thought it may have given us the kick up the arse we needed but in reality we never really looked like getting anything.

From pretty early on it looked like it was going to be a tough game and we had too many players who weren''t switched on and weren''t producing. Even worse is that it seems everyone in the stadium knew we needed to make some changes as it wasn''t happening, everyone except Gunny. Too little, too late in terms of changes made by the manager.

Croft obviously wasn''t fit to play and you could tell in the warm up he wasn''t going to be doing much today. Gow struggled to make anything happen and tried some of the clever stuff when he shouldn''t have. Carney suffered from a real lack of concentration and didn''t ever want to take his man on. Lappin showed what he can deliver with his left foot but is he really cut out to play central midfield? Doesn''t look like it. And then despite a couple of bright moments early on it was Semmy back to one of his dozy performances.

On the plus side I thought Doherty, Shacks, Bertand and Clingan were all worth their place in the team. Mooney kept trying as well.

We were just ''not at the races'' today. The whole team looked slow and as if they couldn''t be bothered. A very poor peformance bearing in mind what is at stake.

If we stay up we will get £2.9 Mill if we go down it will be £400 K, it is no good trying to drum into the squad what a disaster this would be. For the simple reason, out of todays team 5 players were loanees 3 would probably leave (Marshall, Croft and Clingan). So out of the starting eleven that leaves Semi, Doc and Lappin. I think Semi is the worst full back at the club in living memory, Doc has been probably player of the season, and Lappin Is OK at this level.

So what happens if we go down...

We''ll see more signings like young Cody, perhaps the club are already lowering our expectations for next season already.

it reminded me a bit of the infamous Spain holiday last season.. when the players came back thinking it was job done and only a win against QPR kept us up...

the 2 week break has been and gone and we are playing like its pre season.. Swansea next week, they arent bad.. and Twatford on Bank holiday monday, we could really be up the swanny by the time we play Ipswich....  with Reading and charlton to go.. charlton could be in with a shout if they get some decent results.. and Reading wont go easy on us with promotion still to play for.... also, Mooney will be illegible.

im starting to fear the worst now.

jas :)

We will get a point at Swansea and 3 points on the Monday - I was not at all confident going into todays game, but i feel better about the next 2 - its going to go down to goal diff I think....still several teams that could join Charlton and Soton  in the dreaded drop.

Lappin and Clingan was a poor combination imo. too similar to each other and Clingan is clearly the better player. hope Russell sorts himself out and plays v Swansea

The nails been hit on the head here guys. Can''t blame the ref for our spineless performance. I''ve seen Gow play twice now and I''m not impressed with the lad he was very poor today. I agree with yer Waz, Semmy is truly awful and just showed a lack of care and despondent and lazy body language, probably a sum of the whole team today. Croft looked laboured and probably shouldn''t have started and his end product was nothing short of rubbish. Lappin and Clingan were second to most balls and Carney looked lackadaisical. I thought Betrand put a really good shift in on Tudgay, a quality player in this league, and Shax and Doc didn''t put a foot wrong.It did feel like a goal was going to come from the moment we kicked off and we did very little past the back third for almost all of the game. Sheff. Wed''s defence didn''t look too solid and very rigid and slow and it was crying out for changes upfront at half time to try and keep the ball in and around their penalty area. 

A huge backward step today.Why on earth was Lee left out against one of the most physical sides in the league? What goes on (if anything) between Semmy''s ears? We looked very fragile at the back all first half, and Doc and Shax both had their dodgy moments, though without them we would have been well and truly sunk. Carney looked like a man with jetlag and Crofty like one whose mind was elsewhere. Clingan and Lappin never once looked like controlling midfield and Gow and Mooney both tried too many things that didn''t come off. Wednesday were sharper, faster and tougher, aided by some schizophrenic refereeing, but that doesn''t excuse us for not turning up today.I fear the worst, as I have for some time.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

A huge backward step today.Why on earth was Lee left out against one of the most physical sides in the league? What goes on (if anything) between Semmy''s ears? We looked very fragile at the back all first half, and Doc and Shax both had their dodgy moments, though without them we would have been well and truly sunk. Carney looked like a man with jetlag and Crofty like one whose mind was elsewhere. Clingan and Lappin never once looked like controlling midfield and Gow and Mooney both tried too many things that didn''t come off. Wednesday were sharper, faster and tougher, aided by some schizophrenic refereeing, but that doesn''t excuse us for not turning up today.I fear the worst, as I have for some time.

[/quote]

Totally agree with you on the above post [Y]

Have no idea why Lee wasn''t brought out before half time, give the lad a little time to settle, would have brough him on with Cody, strength and pace in those two players.  Players are scared of Lee him pure and simple, and that''s what we need.

Doc''s was woeful today, mind you all apart from Shacks were woeful, but special mention must go to Croft and Semmy who were exceptionally woeful.

Whilst I can understand how some fans feel regarding Lee and where''s he''s played before, I think it''s bang out of order for the d**k  sitting behind me and his little bunch of ''''cool friends'''' to be yelling and screaming ''''Lee you scummy see you next tuesday''''.  For gods sake like I yelled at this bloke, he''s playing in yellow and green now, get over it and get behind him, he might be the one who saves us this season, then you''d be quick enough to chant his name and bow down to him lol.  It''s about time some fans moved on and grew up.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Have no idea why Lee wasn''t brought out before half time, give the lad a little time to settle, would have brough him on with Cody, strength and pace in those two players.  Players are scared of Lee him pure and simple, and that''s what we need.

Doc''s was woeful today, mind you all apart from Shacks were woeful, but special mention must go to Croft and Semmy who were exceptionally woeful.

Whilst I can understand how some fans feel regarding Lee and where''s he''s played before, I think it''s bang out of order for the d**k  sitting behind me and his little bunch of ''''cool friends'''' to be yelling and screaming ''''Lee you scummy see you next tuesday''''.  For gods sake like I yelled at this bloke, he''s playing in yellow and green now, get over it and get behind him, he might be the one who saves us this season, then you''d be quick enough to chant his name and bow down to him lol.  It''s about time some fans moved on and grew up.

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on mate,and I''m glad you made a stand. Lee and Shax were the only two players out there who showed passion for the shirt. Unfortunately the sort of spectators that you describe( I won''t honour them with the word fans)  mostly wouldn''t know a football from a duck egg!

[/quote]

[/quote]

agreed Re Lee.. how many are going to be calling him "scum" should he score the winner on the 19th of April.. they will love it if he scores...

jas :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Amazing! Perhaps I should turn my seat round to face the pitch.

If the Doc was woeful today then I have been going to the wrong Carrow Road all this season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but sometimes I wonder if I watched an entirely different game.

Must admit, even though I think Doc should win player of the season, I thought he wasn''t great today. Shackell was awful though and how the sponsors gave him man of the match is a total mystery.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Must admit, even though I think Doc should win player of the season, I thought he wasn''t great today. Shackell was awful though and how the sponsors gave him man of the match is a total mystery.
[/quote]

Now you are just taking the piss Graham.

Shame on you.

LOL

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If the Doc was woeful today then I have been going to the wrong Carrow Road all this season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but sometimes I wonder if I watched an entirely different game.

[/quote]

I think you must watch a different game lol.  He missed headers all over the place today, very unlike him, he didn''t mark his man hardly at all and IMHO looked well off pace from the Doc that has been maginally better this season than last.  I call it as I see it.

Opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one [:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you must watch a different game lol.  He missed headers all over the place today, very unlike him, he didn''t mark his man hardly at all and IMHO looked well off pace from the Doc that has been maginally better this season than last.  I call it as I see it.

[/quote]

Obviously when my dad first took me to Carrow Road it was in a different dimension to the one where you go.

If my NCFC fail to beat the drop this season I will console myself with the thought that your NCFC got away with it.

In my parallel universe the Doc is a very strong contender for player of the season.

I can only guess that Semmy is player of the year in yours.

LOL.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Obviously when my dad first took me to Carrow Road it was in a different dimension to the one where you go.

If my NCFC fail to beat the drop this season I will console myself with the thought that your NCFC got away with it.

In my parallel universe the Doc is a very strong contender for player of the season.

LOL.

[/quote]

Nope Semmy is c**p in my universe, as someone else has said on another thread he is NC''s own version of Forest Gump.  He can run but that''s about it

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.

[/quote]

Nope Semmy is c**p in my universe, as someone else has said on another thread he is NC''s own version of Forest Gump.  He can run but that''s about it

[/quote]

The ideal name for that bloody ant of yours then.

shax saved us time and time again first half - and lets face it - we were lucky to go in 0-0...we were far too lightweight today - against an entertaining side - who showed good inventiveness and passing - to open us up time and time again...early on - it was plain to see we were outgunned in midfield - lappin didn''t turn up and was bossed - while clinkers was clearly tired after his intl efforts for worthy...couple that with another lightweight desplay from carney (who lacks a champs engine imo) and burger boy crofty (who''s looking as wide as he is tall),,,we were simply not at the races...up front - gow and moono looked ''untelepathic,,,''once more - no attempt to change it when it obviously wasn''t working,,,fraid to say we''re right back in the firing line...[:(]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m a big fan of his, but today he looked well and truly nervous. Had a shaky missed header (I genuinely think the sun was right in his eyes, cos he totally missed it) and didn''t seem to get back to his normal self til well into the second half.However, when he picked up the ball on the right wing, dribbled in on goal and did a stepover - a stepover! - that was one of the high points of our performance. And even though he played badly, he still gave everything. Unlike Semmy, who played badly and didn''t break sweat.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The ideal name for that bloody ant of yours then.

[/quote]

I think I will rename my ant Ricardo, annoying and very persistent  [;)] [:P][:)]

We never started;  the defence looked shaky with wind and sun causing problems,  and that seemed to hit Ots in particular who was woeful.

Their midfield dominated the game,  our central midfield pair were consistently second best and had no pace, urgency or creativity;   our wide players were equally poor and to be fair all 4 midfielders could have been replaced on another day.  Up front Mooney and Gow, then Lee,  MacDonald and finally Doc all suffered from a lack of service.

Yes the ref made a couple of howlers,  but Weds looked like the team that needed points to avoid relegation, not us,  and we got of the game the amount of points to match the overall effort;  nothing.

Good players again failing to play consistently week in week out;  too comfortable and arrogant to work for survival frustrates us all;   why do we NEVER show for must win games???

FWIW, I thought Doc was poor 1st half today, though the whole team were poor 1st half.  2nd half he was better and his stepovers at the end should enter into this season''s hall of fame.  Not that there''ll be much else in it apart from Wolves and Ipswich.

Someone who was truly crap today was Carney.  Appreciate he may be jetlagged but then why was he picked?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Must admit, even though I think Doc should win player of the season, I thought he wasn''t great today. Shackell was awful though and how the sponsors gave him man of the match is a total mystery.
[/quote]  It might have been because of the numerous last minute tackles he made to prevent Wednesday from scoring.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

He missed one or two headers early on because of the sun and as a result some people wrote off his performance.

A bit like Lee Croft... he put that ball low across their box early on but nobody ran on to it. Many people saw it as a bad bit of play by Croft but really it was the failure of other players to get in the box and get on the end of it because it was always likely Croft was going to lay a ball like that across the pitch.

It''ll always be the same with Doherty and Croft, people are far too keen to find fault with them. Which is a shame because they are two of our best players and players who are genuinely good enough to compete, week in and week out, in this league.

Well don''t we all see a different game. I thought our whole midfield performance today ranged between poor and nonexistant. After his rave reviews from St Andrews I was looking forward to seeing Lappin in centre midfield. Did he play? I''d have given anything to have Fotheringham or Russell battling in his place. Lappin is a great player when he has time to play but time is something you rarely get in a modern day Championship midfield.Clingan wasn''t much better. Croft and Carney weren''t good but it was in centre midfield where we were worst. The midfield were so poor that we should have brought Lee on sooner so that we could hoof the ball past them and hope he could hold it up and create something. Doc and Shacks again had good games but I won''t say outstanding this week because The Doc misjudged a couple of balls and Shackell lost his man a couple of times in the first half. Mooney and Gow looked lively but got no service. In my universe we were totally out-muscled, out-fought and out-played in the midfield.

And of course we got the obligatory crap refereeing decision to make sure we didn''t get a point. I remember saying after the Brum game that I didn''t believe Marshall was fouled for their goal but 9 times out of 10 a free kick is given in those circumstances. Now I know fans only ever see the poor decisions against their own team but we certainly don''t seem to have had much off the refs this season.

Indeed we all do see a different game. Can''t argue with that. For me it was the non existent midfield. No dominance, no creativity and apart from Lappin''s free kicks no threat whatsoever. Therefore anyone up front was going to suffer. Personally I would have made some changes at half time, but alas not really a lot to choose from on the bench for midfield, especially against a well drilled side like Wednesday, who had done their homework and set about exploiting our weaknesses with good effect. Only Shackell kept us in the game by half time and he had won our MOM easily by then.

Doc recovered somewhat in the second half but was not at his best. Marshall made a couple of good saves, but that sadly was the sum of the positives I could take out of the game. Were we all up for this game? Difficult to tell, but Wednesday dominated midfield from the first second to the last leaving us with no where to go but chasing the game throughout.

Alarming really, when we have so little time left. And I can''t put any blame on the ref. We are not the only team who gets those who make bad decisions. Yesterday just summed up for me our season, ill prepared, a makeshift team and a growing sense of desperation as we turn into the final few games.

I desperately hope I''m wrong but for me yesterday could well prove to be the pivotal point in our season, we''ll do well to get a point at Swansea and Watford are another team who we have struggled to win against at cr in recent years. Add to that the Derby and a home game against Reading and it is hard to see us getting any more than a couple of points before we go to Charlton on the final day. With our record in must win games we certainly don''t want to be going to Charlton having to win to give us a chance of staying up.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

He missed one or two headers early on because of the sun and as a result some people wrote off his performance.

A bit like Lee Croft... he put that ball low across their box early on but nobody ran on to it. Many people saw it as a bad bit of play by Croft but really it was the failure of other players to get in the box and get on the end of it because it was always likely Croft was going to lay a ball like that across the pitch.

It''ll always be the same with Doherty and Croft, people are far too keen to find fault with them. Which is a shame because they are two of our best players and players who are genuinely good enough to compete, week in and week out, in this league.

[/quote]sorry gjp - but crofty looked fat and unwilling yesterday - probably the injury lay-off didn''t help - and the ball across you''re talking about was hit too hard unfortunately...crofty was the only change from the brum game - and it didn''t work for me...lee up front and gow on the right would have been more sensible - given crofty had been injured as well???