Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Corners

Spot on Pete, Lappin was out of his depth in central midfield (rather than on the left). Great left foot, great at dead balls but as the ''creative playmaker'', nay, nay and thrice nay.

I''d imagine that Jon Molby can still swing in a decent corner. Sad thing is he''d also be better in the rest of the play than Lappin. Whilst I didn''t agree with the way Lappin was treated by Roeder after he was dropped. He was dropped out of sight because he is not up to football at this level. I saw nothing yesterday to show that anything has changed.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I''d imagine that Jon Molby can still swing in a decent corner. Sad thing is he''d also be better in the rest of the play than Lappin. Whilst I didn''t agree with the way Lappin was treated by Roeder after he was dropped. He was dropped out of sight because he is not up to football at this level. I saw nothing yesterday to show that anything has changed.
[/quote]

I thought Lappin was one of our best players yesterday (with Shax) and most of our limited attacking threat came from his left peg, inclduing a number of set piece delivery''s and the cross that led to Mooney''s ''goal''.  Shax and Lee both had very good opportunities from his crosses and probably should have done better.

The midfield being overun was nothing to do with Lappin''s ability but the fact that he kept drifting out to the left leaving Clingan exposed, which will come naturally to someone who has spent his entire career playing as a left sided player.  This was less of a problem at Brum when everyone else in the midfield played 100% better and compensated for this but yesterday Croft, Carney and Clingan were all pretty dire, albeit down to being injured, tired or both.

I think this simply comes down to Gunny getting his tactics and team selection wrong this time and nothing to do with Lappin not being up to it at this level.  

[quote user="Clint"]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I''d imagine that Jon Molby can still swing in a decent corner. Sad thing is he''d also be better in the rest of the play than Lappin. Whilst I didn''t agree with the way Lappin was treated by Roeder after he was dropped. He was dropped out of sight because he is not up to football at this level. I saw nothing yesterday to show that anything has changed.[/quote]

I thought Lappin was one of our best players yesterday (with Shax) and most of our limited attacking threat came from his left peg, inclduing a number of set piece delivery''s and the cross that led to Mooney''s ''goal''.  Shax and Lee both had very good opportunities from his crosses and probably should have done better.

The midfield being overun was nothing to do with Lappin''s ability but the fact that he kept drifting out to the left leaving Clingan exposed, which will come naturally to someone who has spent his entire career playing as a left sided player.  This was less of a problem at Brum when everyone else in the midfield played 100% better and compensated for this but yesterday Croft, Carney and Clingan were all pretty dire, albeit down to being injured, tired or both.

I think this simply comes down to Gunny getting his tactics and team selection wrong this time and nothing to do with Lappin not being up to it at this level.  

[/quote]Looks like we watched a different game. Then again I was chatting with a pal in the bar at half time and he said he thought we had played ok first half. Lappin is for me as much a part of the problem as anybody. I see a player trying hard not making the grade. You see a player trying hard. I agree Clingan, Carney and Croft were dire but I see them a part of the problem too. This is a club teetering on the edge of relegation in to the 3rd tier of English football. I''ve said it till I''m blue in the face on this forum If everybody is so good why are we so bad.Clingan and Croft for the Premiership don''t make me laugh. Not fast enough strong enough or talented enough. As for Lappin and many others in our squad just replace the would Permiership with Championship and re-read the rest.

I thought Lappin was a lot better than Carney and would rather we played him out on the left allowing Gow to drop back and play Lee.Neither Lappin nor Clingan had the best of games yesterday but he was nowhere near as bad as some on here have made out.

Lappin isn''t a strong battling CM though, and relies more on skill and the quality of his final ball.

So many people on here moan like anything that we have too many players who just run and lack the quality for the final ball, but in Lappin we have that. But then he just gets stick too!!

Some people are never pleased!