Sign in to follow this  
sjtheowl

A view 'from the other side'

Went to the game today at Carrow Road, my 5th visit down there. Overall enjoyed my day down there, heres a few views me and the rest of the Sheffield Wednesday fans shared had on our long trip back to South Yorkshire.

The Match:

Great start to the game, both teams had abit of pressure with corners etc in the first 10-15 minutes but I felt we seemed to settle down better and created the better of the chances in the first half. We had a goal disallowed in the first half, Luke Varney for handball which was given by the assistant not the ref, but this seemed a pretty fair decision as he looked to have taken his first touch on his hand before controling on the chest and firing home. Few Wednesdayites round me though questioned how the linesman could see it from 25 yards away, yet the referee was about 5 yards away and gave nothing. Norwich mostly had a few chances on the break, Dave Mooney was a handful with his pace and he out did our CBs a few times in the first half. We came out of the traps quicker second half and got the early goal which gave us something to hang onto.  Goal was a bit lucky with the deflection but Jermaine Johnson has been one of our best players this season and he''s due a bit of luck. We could of extended our lead but after about 70 minutes we decided to drop off and hold onto what we had, a dangerous ploy. I thought Lappin did well last 20 minutes, he was your danger man, he looked tricky and skilful on the ball which I didn''t really see from the lad the first 70 minutes. Very impressed by Dave Mooney. Not so impressed by Alan Lee, he seems a shadow of his former self and I''m quite glad he chose to go to Carrow Road over Hillsborough a couple of weeks back. Overall thought a slender 1-0 victory for us was about fair, though you could of easily drawn or even nicked it 2-1 with the amount of pressure you had last 20.

The Disallowed ''goal''

For a start, it didnt look to me as if it crossed the line. It was one of those really close ones, some of the ball was definitely on the line, but whether all the ball was over all the line I''m not sure. Our defender, Richard Wood, clawed the ball back with his hand which would have been a penalty and a sending-off, so I would of liked to have thought the ref would have given the goal. The linesman flagged for handball, but didn''t flag for the goal. For actual incident, a foul seemed slighty harsh for me. I think it was Lee who headed the ball back, and our keeper went up with two of your players and our defender Richard Hinds. The word was from the Wednesday fans, or we althought, that the foul was given a push by Dave Mooney on Richard Hinds, we didnt realise it was given as a foul on the goalkeeper until word came through from both BBC Radio Sheffield and the coaches that were listening to BBC Norfolk after the game. If there was any foul in the box I think it was Mooney on Hinds, but this seemed a challenge where the man was looking at nothing else other than the ball. The contact between Mooney and Grant was minimal. Tbf I think we got away with one there.

The sending off

The first yellow card I have no problem with definite yellow. Spurr has commited a silly foul about a minute earlier which was probably still in the mind of the referee and then he went and mistimed another tackle which was deserved of a yellow in my book. I thought the second one was harsh. The Norwich player on the ball, Lapin I think it was, had just started on a run and Spurr stupidly, especially as he was already on a yellow, slid in to try and win the ball. However from where I was it looked as if he took about a quarter of the ball with his right boot before catching Lapin. Your player definitely made the most of it, probably knowing Spurr was already on a yellow.

The Norwich Fans

Seemed a nice enough bunch, was trying to find the Morrisons after I got off the coach, a lad about 25-30 told me the way, seemed pretty chatty asked me about the journey down etc etc. Saw lots of Norwich fans in Morrisons and a few surrounding shops, all fine no sign of trouble. Quite quiet in the ground, when I saw you all singing and bouncing to Tom Hark pre-match I was expecting a hostile atmosphere but it didnt really materialise into that. Few nobs after the match thought they were hard showing ''United, United'' and ''Up the Blades'' towards  the little pocket of Wednesday fans I was travelling with back to the coach, but apart from that I found the oppositing fans fine.

I hope you stay up and I think you will. The safe point will be 50 points. I think you''ll get two wins from Watford and Charlton.. then I''m sure you will be able to scrape a point or two out of Swansea, Reading and Ipswich. Send the Barnsley Dingles down!

Fair summary SJ. Your boys deserved to come away with something, if only for the way you pulled our defence around with good movement. Johnson was a constant threat. Nice to see Jeffers is still the jug-eared whinger he was when he played for Satans Army.

I think if you keep the team together and add a bit in midfield you''ve got a shot at the play-offs next season.

Guess in someways you''ll be hoping we win the next 2 games (Saints/Barnsley home) so when we visit your place our players might be thinking about the end of the season....?

[quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

yeh glad you enjoyed yourself but only if we took the three points [:(]

your assessment seems fair enough and I know what a long journey back to Sheffield can be on that horrible a17

[/quote]There''s always the good old Farm Cafe to break the tedium! [:D]

Thanks for the feedback SJ, and I think your summary is very fair. I think you deserved the points and your support was excellent, apart from a group of little chavs on the walk back up Carrow Hill who obviously thought that taking the piss out of an eight year old City fan made them look big. Still we have our share of idiots too!

I think you have the basis of a good side, and your movement and team spirit put ours to shame. I hope we see you again next season, but fear we won''t!

[quote user="JimRoyle"]Glad you enjoyed the day mate - more than we did! [:(]

My mother comes from Sheffield and her sister still lives in Deepcar - just a few miles up the road from Hillsborough so I know the area pretty well.
[/quote]

As a really young fellow I lived up Stocksbridge, you should know whereabouts that is from Deepcar. [:D] Despite being close to Hillsborough, I''m sad to say Deepcar is now a Sheffield United stronghold supporters wise.

[quote user="JimRoyle"][quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

your assessment seems fair enough and I know what a long journey back to Sheffield can be on that horrible a17

[/quote]

There''s always the good old Farm Cafe to break the tedium! [:D]
[/quote]

Yeh I love it in there [:D] Norwich is the only away game you go to on the coach where it actually stops off somewhere in which you can purchase alcoholic beverages [;)] Only had about 25 minutes in there, managed to still down a couple of pints in though. It was an awful long journey, probably to worse after Plymouth, Swansea and Ipswich for me. We left Hillsborough at 9ish, go into Norwich for about 12.50, so with out stop it took us about 3 and half to get down there.

[quote user="sjtheowl"]

[quote user="JimRoyle"]Glad you enjoyed the day mate - more than we did! [:(]My mother comes from Sheffield and her sister still lives in Deepcar - just a few miles up the road from Hillsborough so I know the area pretty well.[/quote]

As a really young fellow I lived up Stocksbridge, you should know whereabouts that is from Deepcar. [:D] Despite being close to Hillsborough, I''m sad to say Deepcar is now a Sheffield United stronghold supporters wise.

[/quote]Yes - I have cousins who live there. Ex-Canary Wayne Biggins was manager of Stocksbridge FC a few years ago.

[quote user="sjtheowl"][quote user="JimRoyle"][quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

[/quote]There''s always the good old Farm Cafe to break the tedium! [:D][/quote]

Yeh I love it in there [:D] Norwich is the only away game you go to on the coach where it actually stops off somewhere in which you can purchase alcoholic beverages [;)] Only had about 25 minutes in there, managed to still down a couple of pints in though. It was an awful long journey, probably to worse after Plymouth, Swansea and Ipswich for me. We left Hillsborough at 9ish, go into Norwich for about 12.50, so with out stop it took us about 3 and half to get down there.

[/quote]The City supporters coaches stop there every time there is a game up north! Not exactly what you''d call a high-class establishment but it''s got plenty of character!