Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

WORTHY MUST TAKE THE BLAME

The alarm bells should start ringing for Worthy after todays poor performance.  If you cannot beat the team at the bottom, who are down to ten men, and have a goal difference of -14, then you are not going to beat anyone.  Irrespective of how badly some players performed today the blame must lay with WORTHY because he picks the team, and he makes the substitutions.

In no particular order these are some of my observations of decisions made by Worthy and his coaching staff:

Brennan had a good game against Man City, dropped completely for the next game, Drury brought back in although he didn''t look match fit.

Shackell had a good game against Newcastle, looked commanding in the air, dropped for next 2 games, where we struggled in the air against Man City, and conceded a late header against Blackburn from their smallest striker.

Holt spends most of the game chasing around aimlessly, don''t pick up runners, watches the ball, very rarely makes a tackle, and struggles to make a decent pass.  Safri picks up runners, makes tackles, is a good passer of the ball, but never even makes the bench.

McKenzie never stops working for the team and is a constant threat to the opposition defence, particularly in the air, always substituted irrespective of how well he is playing.  Svensson on the other hand very rarely closes down the defenders, is not particularly good in the air, but always stays on the field.

Jonsson has been tried on the left and on the right but is probably better suited in the centre up front.  Henderson is always played on the right hand side despite preferring to play in the centre, where he has done well at England under 20 level.

Doherty is bought as a central defender where he hasn''t even started a game.  Accused by the manager of not being fit enough, no longer picked even on the bench.

Bentley apparently has a problem with some part of his game, or training, or whatever, has only ever been played on the left, not even considered as a substitute. 

Jarvis is a promising youngster who is well thought of at England under 19 level, not even considered for the bench.

McVeigh has asked to stop being picked for his country to concentrate on his club football, odd appearance as a late sub with no opportunity to make any impact.

Mulryne is probably considered to be one of the most gifted players at the club, lucky to get a run out in the reserves.

There is still time to move up the table but in my opinion some changes need to be made by Worthy very soon, and he could start with:

Drop Holt and bring back Safri. 

Put Shackell in the back four, possibly at the expense of Fleming. 

Bring back Bentley and play him on the right in place of Jonsson. 

Play Mckenzie for the full 90 minutes, possibly partnering McVeigh or Jarvis up front. 

[quote]The alarm bells should start ringing for Worthy after todays poor performance. If you cannot beat the team at the bottom, who are down to ten men, and have a goal difference of -14, then you are not ...[/quote]

I agree with most of that Silver fox.  I totally agree that the blame has to fall at Worthy''s door for yesterday.  The two subtitutions he made were appalling.  I think it was a sensible decision to take Jonson off but for Hendo?  Please!

Totally agree about Brennan.  If you see my ratings thread I said that Drury was blatantly not match fit.

Holt needs to be dropped.  End of story.  Let someone else have a go

McKenzie is looking better and better every time I see him.  Annoying for defenders.  Once he starts chipping in with a few goals it''ll be great.  I also think Sven is getting better too.  He looks like the Svensson who played at the end of last year.  The one who scored goals

Why we signed the Doc is beyond me at the monent

Jonson is getting better and better too.  I thought he had a very good first half and only got taken because he got booked and then savaged by that nasty g*t Bothroyd

I like McVeigh, I do.  But every time we bring him on we seem to totally lose our shape.  He was running around yesterday without seeming to have a clue where he was playing

An interesting post Silver Fox.

I am not in the "Worthy Out" Camp quite yet but he has to take responsibility for his decisions on signings, tactics, team selection and substitutions.

We seem to be all over the place as to what system we will play and as to who will implement whichever system is chosen.  We bounce around between 4-4-2; diamond; 4-3-3; 4-3-1-2. Surely these things should be decided during training rather than seemingly experimenting during games?

I too like McVeigh but he was the "headless chicken" yesterday, I can''t remember him actually kicking the ball.

As to where we go from here I really don''t know as that could have been the match when the team actually lost its belief

Agree with you both,i don''t agree Worthy should go,but he must change his ways,very soon.Fitness before ability might work in Div.1,but not the Prem.You can''t complain after the game that we didn''t pass or keep possesion very well,when you don''t play the players in the squad that can do that.Mulryne for Holt at half time would have resulted in 3 points yesterday,i''m sure.

How can anyone be "sure" that Mulryne for Holt at half-time would have resulted in 3 points? It''s just speculation.

The facts are that too many players played poorly, including Holt (pretty dire), and Huckerby (who hung about too deep and too near the byline to be any threat - what happened to his position in the hole?) and Jonson (stupid booking, and risking another when Bothroyd kicked him) and Drury (who didn''t seem fully fit). But Brennan for Drury - well, as I recall, Brennan got totally roasted against Man City. Henderson for Jonson - of the options on the bench that seemed reasonable, but then his ambitions outstripped his ability. But would Bentley have played any better? - I doubt it.

Also there were stupid things like Hendo picking up the ball deep in his own half and tearing off down the right, and Edworthy (who played pretty well otherwise) tearing off after him presumably trying to create an overlap. But in order to do that, Hendo would have had to stop and hold the ball, which would have slowed the attack when there were forwards upfield ready to receive the ball already. Then when Hendo gave away possession (like most of our players did most of the time), Eddy was stranded, having run 70 yards. That wasn''t Hendo''s fault IMO but he got a gobful for it. However, he''s too lightweight and is easily dispossessed at the moment.

You can say that NW should have brought on Helveg to protect the lead, but I think he was right not to try to defend, but to attack and try to get another goal: in any case Blackburn''s goal had nothing to do with that substitution. McVeigh for MacKenzie - that was a puzzle, unless MacK was tiring. I couldn''t see it though.

All in all, a poor game. Blackburn played better football most of the time, and looked much more of a threat near the goal. It''s thanks to Greeno that we got one point.

don''t recall Brennan getting roasted against Man City.  Okay Flood got past him a few times (but the guy is bloomin quick) At least he stopped more crosses than actually came in, unlike Drury yesterday.  Mind you I did say after the Man City game that the only change I would make was Bren for Drury, but wish he hadn''t now.

Really good posts on this thread with well made points.

Must agree with most of Silver Fox''s comments. Certainly Drury was unfit and Hendo given the responsibilty in such an important game reeked of poor man management.

I suppose Worthy is still on a learning curve and still makes some wierd decisions.

Thank God Sutch wasn''t on the bench! 

In Worthy''s defence, he has got a mind boggling board behind him!!

I agree that Worthy must take the blame but there is no benefit in Worthy being replaced - who is going to be much better and how much would it cost out of an already tight budget?

However it was clear that Rovers would restrict space at the back and close up shop once Bothroyd was sent off - this meant that Hux would have no space to move into. As Jonson was injured he was right to keep two wide players one - against 10 men you alway try and make the pitch bigger by maximising width. As such Hendo was the second best choice with McVeigh being the obvious replacement.

However given our 1 man advantage we also needed the ability to make the other team work by moving the ball about well and creating a chance by passing the ball - the game was screaming out for Mullers, or Helveg, as soon as JB was dismissed.

Instead we get Hendo on and the take off a striker (when we need a win!?!) and put on another winger? Where is the ability to change the style of play? Our approach was not working yet we persist with the same when a passing approach may have done better.

Worthy needs to get a defensive UNIT working together and develop a leader to organise them. He needs to get the quality we have at the club in the team and quickly, he (& the majority of fans) need to look behind the work ethic, as Holt, Eddie and Mackenzie, like me if picked, would run their guts out for the side by are simply not up to scratch in the prem.

And we said we needed a striker.

OTBC

Excuse me why should Worthy take the blame its not him its the players not doing what they are supposed to be doing?Iknow that its there job as a professional footballer so shoudn''t they be doing.
Its like Crewe my brother scored again (Mark Rivers) see Worthy should of give him a chance never did!!!! So don''t blame it on Worthy blame the players

I admit I''ve only skimmed through most of these, but I entirely agree with Silver Fox''s point about subbing McKenzie. We looked a totally different side when he was taken off. He was gutted and not expecting it when taken off judging by the hand waving and look on his face on MOTD. It''s a long time since someone has worked that hard in a shirt and the lad deserves some credit and the chance to play 90 mins.

We''ve had this in previous seasons, almost making substitutions for the sake of it.

It was a poor decision - we needed to go to kill the game so we take off a striker who looked intersted and put Hux up front when Leon was by far more the effective player on the day. Leons touch continues to be poor but substitutions are about peformances on the day and Leon did not deserve to come off either tactically or on performance basis.

Taking of Hux or Hendo was the option, and bringing on Mullers or Helveg was needed.

OTBC

Worthy dropped some almighty clangers with the bench... Mulryne was tailor made for a midfield role on saturday, holding posession, playing accurate safety first passes to team mates, Mcveigh not Henderson was the obvious change for Jonsson, and a big man... Shackell or Doherty to head the ball clear in the last 15 mins would have been rather handy. I for one would have been only too  happy to see us playing down the clock, using up  time and running the legs off blackburn. Just like professional footballers should.