Sign in to follow this  
Norwich1938

Recent Referee Decisions over the last few weeks.

After the Sheffield Wednesday game and seeing the video of the goal that was disallowed and then thinking back to the Birmingham game when again we had another goal disallowed which also I saw on video playback and again in the Durso game when Drury was brought down in the penalty area. Does anyone think the same as I do that there is some kind of vendetta against us.

I wouldn''t say there''s a vendetta, but it just shows how bad a lot of the referee''s in the championship are. I''ve watched the disallowed goal 20 times in slow motion and it''s sheffield''s defender that knock''s the goalie flying. The goal should of been allowed!!!!!!!!!

No - but we''ve had more than our share of dodgy decisions against this season. Trying to think of any that have actually gone in our favour... the penalty against Barnsley when we were already 3-0 up comes to mind... Sheff Utd having a possible penatly turned down in the last minutes before we scored the winner... beyond that I''m really struggling. Surely my memory can''t be that selective?

We''re where we are because we are wildly inconsistent not because of poor referees.

We''re wildly inconsistent because our players are largely not good enough.

[:(]

Where as it would be a foolish man who would blame our predicament on refereeing decisions it would be just as foolish to discount it. As always the truth is probably between the two extremes. We have had a bad rub of the green with refs this season, just like we had a good one in 2003/4. In a division as tight as this, where any team can beat any other, those decisions do make a difference. Just ask Steve Coppell.

We have had more than our fair share of bad decisions this year but if we had turned up more often they would be rendered irrelevant. We should be far more concerned as to why the team fails to perform on so many occasions, it has happened far to often this season including at least 3 games since Gunn has been in charge.

When your struggling at the bottom very little goes in your favour, and its the same the other way around. Remember 2003/04 when we were the best team in the League but also had the luckiest one as well as we won a lot of points through favourable ref decisions!

Its always been like that, we''re in the sh*te big time and we''ve just got to battle and grind out results something we didn''t look like doing yesterday!

No.

Ask every clubs fans if they think they have been cheated and they will say yes. Whos to say if that goal stood, Sheff wed wouldnt have gone up the other end and scored again? You dont know. Thats football. Get over it.

You think Norwich have it bad ask some other clubs about there decisions. This blaming officials if we go down crap is pissing me off its a load of boll#cks!

Its not just Norwich its the whole league.

We are in this position because we are not good enough, but saying that i think we will stay up.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

No.

Ask every clubs fans if they think they have been cheated and they will say yes. Whos to say if that goal stood, Sheff wed wouldnt have gone up the other end and scored again? You dont know. Thats football. Get over it.

You think Norwich have it bad ask some other clubs about there decisions. This blaming officials if we go down crap is pissing me off its a load of boll#cks!

We are in this position because we are not good enough, but saying that i think we will stay up.

[/quote]

Arthur - I can''t see anyone blaming officials if we go down anywhere on this thread. What I can see is posters stating that they have seen us on the end of poor decisions on more than our fair share of occasions this season. If you''re interested in my opinion I would say that should we be relegated it certainly won''t be because of poor refereeeing decisions but that so many have gone against us they certainly would have contributed towards it.

I don''t understand why so many fans are quick to dismiss these poor decisions. I remember after the Bristol game so many were so eager to criticise The Doc for being reckless, giving away a penalty and getting sent off. Now I''m seeing the same reaction to yesterday non-goal. Where as I am happy to accept I often see things through the thickest pair of yellow and green welding goggles imaginable, could someone explain to me why others can''t give the benefit of the doubt to their own team?

I cannot remember a season like this for poor refereeing. I suppose it''s law of averages, any given ref is bound to have a stinker once in a while. Throw in a couple of Durso appearances and the final position can be affected big time.I do notice when a ref (and linesmen) have a good game - which is probably about 4 or 5 times this season at home.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

No.

[/quote]Fair point, but who''s to say if that goal would have stood, we would have had momentum and gone on to score a winner. But Arthur, you cannot deny that if some of the decisions went our way that should have done, we wouldn''t be in a relegation battle right now, we have been done out of a lot of points this season due to bad refereeing decisions, this is the worst season I can remember for things going against us, and perhaps thats why we are now in a relegation dogfight, it''s all if''s and but''s though. Teams at the top always get decisions go for them, that was so apparent in our premiership season, we got screwed over loads that year as well and that did send us down (especially that penalty given to Portsmouth for no reason at all!) but you look at Liverpool this year, they get dodgy decisions go for them left right and centre, it''s a disgrace and something should be done about it because refs clearly favour the bigger teams!

As I said in an earlier post, I''m normally philosophical about poor refereeing decisions against us because they usually even themselves out. But this season has been unbelievable - in the last few weeks in particular we seem to have had one against us in almost every game. I really think fate owes us a dodgy last minute penalty!

Refs in this division are in the main poor. What we do not see however is all the poor decisions other teams have over the course of the season. Always a poor excuse to blame the ref certainly over the course of a season. We know we are poor and we know why we are poor

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

No.

[/quote]

Fair point, but who''s to say if that goal would have stood, we would have had momentum and gone on to score a winner. But Arthur, you cannot deny that if some of the decisions went our way that should have done, we wouldn''t be in a relegation battle right now, we have been done out of a lot of points this season due to bad refereeing decisions, this is the worst season I can remember for things going against us, and perhaps thats why we are now in a relegation dogfight, it''s all if''s and but''s though. Teams at the top always get decisions go for them, that was so apparent in our premiership season, we got screwed over loads that year as well and that did send us down (especially that penalty given to Portsmouth for no reason at all!) but you look at Liverpool this year, they get dodgy decisions go for them left right and centre, it''s a disgrace and something should be done about it because refs clearly favour the bigger teams!
[/quote]

I agree it does have an impact, but every team in this league has had poor decisions all season not just us, so add all the teams bad decisions together and we are where we deserve to be.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

No.

[/quote]

Fair point, but who''s to say if that goal would have stood, we would have had momentum and gone on to score a winner. But Arthur, you cannot deny that if some of the decisions went our way that should have done, we wouldn''t be in a relegation battle right now, we have been done out of a lot of points this season due to bad refereeing decisions, this is the worst season I can remember for things going against us, and perhaps thats why we are now in a relegation dogfight, it''s all if''s and but''s though. Teams at the top always get decisions go for them, that was so apparent in our premiership season, we got screwed over loads that year as well and that did send us down (especially that penalty given to Portsmouth for no reason at all!) but you look at Liverpool this year, they get dodgy decisions go for them left right and centre, it''s a disgrace and something should be done about it because refs clearly favour the bigger teams!
[/quote]

I agree it does have an impact, but every team in this league has had poor decisions all season not just us, so add all the teams bad decisions together and we are where we deserve to be.

[/quote]

See, this is what I mean by giving the our team the benefit of the doubt. We don''t know that all the other teams have had poor decisions all season, or at least I don''t. What I do know is that we''ve had many many more than we do in a normal season. And in the 35 games I have seen our opponents have been on the wrong end of very few bad decisions. I have seen dubious penalties given against us and stone wall penalties denied us. I can''t remember a season such as this for it but I also accept that these things happen and I don''t subscribe to any conspiracy theory. I also don''t make any excuse for where we are and certainly don''t put it all down to bad refereeing decisions. But to deny it has happened and contributed towards our poor season, I can only say you must have seen different games to me.

Where I do think we bring it on ourselves to an extent is that our players have been too honest. I am proud of that to an extent but I believe it costs us points. Other teams players pressurise the referees and try to influence his decisions right from the first minute and are in his face disputing decisions much more than us. We have pretty much quietly accepted many poor decisions. This is my big criticism of The Doc, he''s just too nice and too quiet. We got a goal against the scum because Leroy Lita got in the refs face and Alan Lee was trying to influence the ref from the minute he got on the pitch on Saturday. I don''t always like this side of football but am a firm believer of "if you can''t beat ''em - join ''em"!

[quote user="JimRoyle"]As I said in an earlier post, I''m normally philosophical about poor refereeing decisions against us because they usually even themselves out. But this season has been unbelievable - in the last few weeks in particular we seem to have had one against us in almost every game. I really think fate owes us a dodgy last minute penalty!
[/quote]

I''m also hoping that fate owes us a couple of favours too! If only the 2 refs for our last 2 games had been in charge of the other fixture, we could be 4 points better off! [;)]

There have been some terrible decisions of late but I think Bryan has to be careful not to winge about the refs, as it is becoming a bit monotonous now. I am biased, and as ignorant as anyone, but in my view the goal should of stood v Wednesday (but I also believe the goal should of stood v Brum, i.e ref got it right, as I believe Keepers get to much protection).  

I would like to see consistency and that is why I blame Hackett and all the rest sitting in the ivory towers at the FA. If a foul is worth a yellow card one week then it must be a yellow card every week if a foul is a red card one week again it should be a red card every week.

Lets look at Sheff Wed v Norwich Tudgay takes Hoolahans legs from under him just as he is about to score result Norwich get a penalty Tudgay is not even cautioned let alone sent off as the rules of the game state result Tudgay goes on to score the winner in their 3 - 2 win. Fast forward to Norwich v Bristol City D''Urso had the red card out before Doherty had finished his tackle although later rescinded we had to play a lot of the game with only ten men. The penalty that we never got was a penalty according to those at the FA and they are trying to sort out with D''Urso why he didn''t award it (I think most Norwich fans know why).

Lets then look at the Norwich V Cardiff game when Kettle the referee gave one of the worst displays at Carrow Road for many years, the EDP awarded him 4/10 the EEN awarded him 3/10although we won the game the standard of refereeing was appalling (reading through the reports of another Championship game at the weekend Kettle was again the referee and the paper went on to say it was a poor game but had it been a good game the referee would have spoilt it).

Hackett must take most of the blame because he should insist on consistency just as the great Collina did but No we now see week in week out managers through all the leagues decrying the referees and that shows there is a fundamental flaw that needs to be addressed.

Saturdays referee was just another in a long line of poor referees that we have seen not only this season but over the past few seasons. When Derby played here one of their players ran twenty yards with the ball under his arm when Norwich were awarded a free kick result nothing when Doncaster played here their player kicked the ball closer to where the free kick should have been taken result a booking. When Swansea played here the referee let everything go late tackles, flying arms, time wasting.

We must have consistency.

Finally I would like to see those in charge ie the Chief Executive put pressure on Hackett over the refereeing situation the FA want respect for referees but respect doesn''t come with a uniform it comes with good performances not once in a while but every week.