Sign in to follow this  
Creative Midfielder

Away Days - dont you just hate them?

Someone asked the other day why I wanted to see the back of the ''Manager of the Month'' - I think yesterday afternoon provided a good explanation.

Fair enough, we''ve had three difficult away games and produced three respectable performances but the reality is we''ve only scored twice, collected 2 points and started every game negatively, conceded in the first half and only then started to play.

I''m not suggesting that these are comparable with the many absolutely dire away performances we''ve endured since Worthington took over but the fundamental problem still remains - and that problem is the negativity of Worthington''s approach. Yesterday was a classic, poor team selection, poor and negative tactics but ''plenty of positives to take out the game'' - oh yes give Worthy his due he certainly gets buckets load of effort out the team but unfortunately thats the only thing he gets out of them.

Sorry but he is not the man to get us promoted.

I have always had sympathy with your point of view WO, but when Worthy signed the famous three I thought - hang on I might have been over critical - and then after the first game with them he came on the radio and said '' I wont change my side for the opposition, they will have to worry about us''... then I really got excited... hey Worthy is OK I stupidly thought.
There are not many games I miss but could not get to West Brom. When I got the team news I just could not believe it. I don''t like listening to Roy Waller anyhow (that''s why go to most away games!!) but on hearing that news I turned the radio off. You didn''t have to be a brain surgeon to predict the pattern of the game!!
I''m sorry because I''ve always wanted to support Worthy but I just can''t make the bloke out. It is legend what Blackpool supporters have said about his tactics(?) but there was no excuse for his first half team selection.
Select a positive team and go for it away from home. If you come away with no points but shown that NCFC play decent football that''s better than time and time again going to away grounds and finding the team we are playing are at the very least ordinary and we still miss out through negative tactics. I understand West Brom were dire - Nuff said.
Well done Worthy for getting these three quality players but prove you can man-manage them and consider getting your head out of the ''coaching manual of football by numbers'' otherwise they''ll be off whether you and the board like it or not!!
Look out here comes Mook and the others!!

I totally agree - see my note ''negative Worthy again''.

The guy is obsessed with just aiming for a point in all away matches irrespective of opposition. City do start some away matches really going for it e.g. Reading and Watford last season and that amazing 5-1 win at Sheff. Wed. the season before, but these are exceptions. The standard away form is ...''and they still have yet to trouble the opposition keeper'' - Roy Waller on Radio Norfolk!

I''m still furious at the dropping of Crouch, it was totally unjustified. If he had turned up ill overnight or carried a knock then fair enough but to trot out the 35 year old Roberts arguing that it was ...''squad rotataion'' is plain stupidity. If he wants competition for Crouch then bring back Ryan Jarvis (remember him), he''s the future for City, not Roberts (great servant that he''s been).

We cannot rely on 100% home form, we will start to drop points at Carrow Road soon and have nothing to fall back on in terms of away points (like last season when we had that appalling away run from late October).

Last season Worthy lived off the back of Cardiff, this season he has set out his stall with 3 very good loan signings. If he fouls up by ridculous team selections and negative tactics away from home he deserves to be hounded out. Expectations have been raised and he needs to do everything possible to realise them.

Oh well, I can''t defend the undefensible. I''m as surprised as anyone about Saturday''s team selection. Whilst I appreciate that West Brom are a good side, this lineup was essentially giving them victory. In fact, I wouldn''t be surprised if Iwan ran out holding a white flag at kick-off!! If we''re to get promoted we have to take points off our promotion rivals when we play at their place. We did this at Wigan and West Ham, and nearly won it at the latter, but this was never going to work. Iwan isn''t the player he was and can''t lead the line by himself anymore. Quite why McVeigh was dropped when we needed some pace and invention and didn''t have Huckerby available was also a moment of madness.

I still believe Worthy can lead us to promotion, and we shouldn''t all start calling for his resignation after one defeat away to a good side. But I certainly find it hard to defend the man on here when he makes changes like he did on Saturday.

Here''s hoping he''s learnt his lesson, and looking forward to a run of home games, which should see us leapfrog the scum!!

Thanks for the advice but I''m already doing that. I still go sometimes to keep in touch and in the hope that I''ll eventually be proved wrong about Worthington but I''ve got so fed up with leaving games angry and frustrated at the way we''ve played that I go a lot less often since Worthington took over.

I can accept being beaten by a better team on the day but I cant accept us going out without the ambition to win games, and that is still happening away from home on a regular basis, and yes I blame Worthington for that because he picks the team and dictates the tactics.

Hopefully today will be a positive one.

Message to Worthy out, Hooray, at last I don''t feel so lonely!. I trust others will remove their yellow and green blinkers, and wake up to reality!.

Yeah you''re right, it''s looking bleak down in the nether regions of third place.

I reckon if George Burley was our manager we''d have been completely unbeaten, in all our games, ever. We''d have probably won them all, home and away. In fact, we''d have already won the champions league and have a front pairing of Henry and Van Nistelroy by now...

Me thinks Mook doth jest!. The wise and powerful Wiz has made it well known, his support for the great George Burley, and yes, he got slaughted for it!. Don''t worry, if I''m wrong, I''ll be the first to hold my hands up, yes its looks good at the moment I''ll grant you, but there is still a long way to go Mook. It will be interesting to see the tactics against Walsall on Saturday.

u ar a fool!!! do you not see that all this club has done since worthy has taken the job is improve.... i think it takes a complete idiot i.e. u and a very small minority to suggest that he isnt the man for the job just look at the state of play at the moment we are lying in third place, with players of international quality playing in our team, i.e. harper, crouch and no disrespect to those two HUCKERBY!!!! if he can attract players of that calobore and you dont appriciate that then please tell me, WHO IS FIT TO TAKE US INTO THE PREMIERSHIP, please go on and tell me and all the othe loyal city fans who go and support there team every week, tell that to the barcley boys who charnt his name. i hope to god the he and the team make you eat your words please reply to this would like a response.

Sorry 1stwiz, but I just can''t get over the GB thing. I do understand that he is probably a little more adventurous than our Nige, but points mean prizes and Nigel knows how to get points (as proven season after season now). I''m not keen on the "playing for a draw" thing, but it can be done - Fulham are making a good habit of defending deep and breaking forward at the moment. I''m sure Nigel would rather win than draw, but also rather draw than lose and I can understand that. Half of the job in this division is to take points off the other teams because everyone is beatable, and I see what he is trying to do.

What I don''t want is for us to become like Spurs fans and expect something way more than we can have. As NW says, without the loans, youth players and reserve keeper we have a squad of 16 players - let him go about his business, because I would say Nigel is in the top 10% of young managers in this country and there is a big chance his replacement would be a hell of a lot WORSE! i want the team to play like Brazil week in week out, but with the playing staff we have it''s not possible and I can cope with that. For now I''d rather see us near the top of the league and winning games.

well i love away days, there great days out! and i dnt see how u can complain losein to West Brom wivout huckerby yes i was there! and 1-1 with west ham wasnt a bad result now was it once again we played half the game without huckerby! and we all know that worthington is one of the gr8 managers weve had here so lay off him

I look forward to the team selection for the Walsall game with interest. If Nigel picks the same starting line-up he had against Sunderland then there is no way we should be negative. Players like Huckerby, Crouch, and Harper all like to get forward and are ably assisted by McVeigh, Francis, Drury and Edworthy. Walsall are the sort of team that we should expect to get 3 points against and providing we play the way we did against Sunderland, particularly in the first half, then it could be the best away day yet. If other results go our way then we could be sitting at the top of the division.

Nigel is telling the Canary supporters that they should not get carried away and in the same breadth I would say to those ardent Worthy supporters ''wait and see where we are at the end of the season'' and then judge how good a manager he is. I know he doesn''t have a big squad but there are some great youngsters who are not getting a chance such as Shackell, Sinclair, Jarvis and Henderson. My biggest gripe with Worthy is that he needs to start playing these players now, especially if the worst scenario occurs and we do not retain any of the loan players.

Dear Mr Mook, At last! several, sensible,constructive points. I believe you have good sound thinking Mook, My views are well known, but even I can see that Worthy is doing quite well(at the moment) his attitude against Sunderland was bang on (but will it last?) and what happens at Walsall, if the draw mentality kicks in again?. When, not if, the holy trio depart in 6 weeks time, then what?.
Yes I know we''re not Brazil, granted, but their attitude has always been ''whatever you score, we''ll score more'', And I still believe Mr GB has THAT attitude, and I''d settle for some of that logic with the City boss right now, home and AWAY, regardless of squad size.

And Rob, I don''t rise to insults, as a Barclay Boy ( well not a BOY any longer!!) I still am allowed views which might not coincide with yours, Please respect that, just as I respect yours, OK.

Craig, he could play Shackell in place of Mackay now and Jarvis is ready for more than 15 mins. That leaves him the opportunity to put Henderson and Sinclair on the bench along with Rivers and Roberts.

Hendo had a very good shot at the first team last season and wasn''t up to it. Sinclair we know nothing about. Jarvis, well maybe it''s time for him to get a few games but overall I think Worthy''s doing the right thing with them, don''t rush them or put too much pressure on them.

Just look at Derby crumbling this season to give you a clue that young players, however gifted, need a certain mentality to complete them as footballers. Even young Mr Rooney who according to everyone in the country is the greatest young english player EVER (I think Mr Gascoigne, Shearer, Robson, Owen etc could argue with that) can''t hit a barn door. They will get a chance, especially when the loanees return, but they don''t need added pressure.

i respect that, fair comment i just get upset with negative comments about either our players or manager.
and i do listen to your opinions bad or good cheers mate....

Ok Rob, fair do to you also, shall we just say that at heart, we''re both City to the core, even if we can''t agree on some matters. Best xmas wishes to you and your loved ones, as long as they are not season ticket holders at the theatre of day dreaming, Portaloo Road!. Kick off, throw it in.........................

I note, Mook, that you wrote your reply about 4hours before Henderson scored only his second goal in City colours! Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I would have agreed and was pretty surprised to see him on the bench at Walsall. He and a few of the other city kids walked into the canteen in the Barclay before the Burnley game and he looked pretty lightweight close up (and about 14)! But i, like you, am all for giving them experience whenever we can and Worthy deserves every credit for throwing him on when Harper got injured. It gives the boy a massive boost and Rivers a kick up the backside too. Next up, Jarvis!