Sign in to follow this  
super dave

Vocal support

I''ve been going to Carrow Road for quite a few years now and I have to say that I thought yesterday''s vocal support was probably one of the worst efforts I''ve seen for a long time. I''m not sure whether it was nerves or a lack of passion shown by the team, but it seemed the most lacklustre atmosphere in a long timeI realise that sometimes all us fans need some enthusiasm from the players to get us going, but surely sometimes we should take it upon ourselves to try and start an atmosphere. It seems like this season we only bother to sing 2/3 songs and are generally quiet for long periods of the game.I really think we need to make the next 2 home games a cracking and intimidating atmosphere regardless of how the team is playing

The problem today was that there was never really any period in the game that we looked capable of winning it, Wednesday started very well and were far superior to us in every department and I think if that happens it sets the tone for the atmosphere for the whole game. I sat there in disbelief that we could be so poor in such an important game for the club, when we''re so bad it just nullifies any enthusiasm that many may have had on entering the ground.

Having said all that our supporters do frustrate me at times, if only more sung at games we could make lot more noise than we do. Where I sit in area A of the lower Barclay there is a handful around me who sing but many of them sit there in silence throughout the game.

[quote user="sadlerman"]I''ve been going to Carrow Road for quite a few years now and I have to say that I thought yesterday''s vocal support was probably one of the worst efforts I''ve seen for a long time. I''m not sure whether it was nerves or a lack of passion shown by the team, but it seemed the most lacklustre atmosphere in a long time

I realise that sometimes all us fans need some enthusiasm from the players to get us going, but surely sometimes we should take it upon ourselves to try and start an atmosphere. It seems like this season we only bother to sing 2/3 songs and are generally quiet for long periods of the game.

I really think we need to make the next 2 home games a cracking and intimidating atmosphere regardless of how the team is playing
[/quote]

You''ve negated your own point with your second paragraph -  namely, it''s very, very difficult to cheer when there''s nothing to cheer about. The team looked as if it couldn''t be bothered - at a large percentage of other grounds, yesterday''s luke-warm performance by the players would have been greeted by booing.  

The supporters have been remarkable this season, when you think what we''ve had to endure.

as much as the team needs the crowd...the crowd needs the team ..to get them excited and give them something to cheer about...the support for the team this season has been 2nd to none seeming the position we are in...if our team was as good as our crowd we would be TOP OF THE LEAGUE...OTBC

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[quote user="sadlerman"]I''ve been going to Carrow Road for quite a few years now and I have to say that I thought yesterday''s vocal support was probably one of the worst efforts I''ve seen for a long time. I''m not sure whether it was nerves or a lack of passion shown by the team, but it seemed the most lacklustre atmosphere in a long time

I realise that sometimes all us fans need some enthusiasm from the players to get us going, but surely sometimes we should take it upon ourselves to try and start an atmosphere. It seems like this season we only bother to sing 2/3 songs and are generally quiet for long periods of the game.

I really think we need to make the next 2 home games a cracking and intimidating atmosphere regardless of how the team is playing
[/quote]

You''ve negated your own point with your second paragraph -  namely, it''s very, very difficult to cheer when there''s nothing to cheer about. The team looked as if it couldn''t be bothered - at a large percentage of other grounds, yesterday''s luke-warm performance by the players would have been greeted by booing.  

The supporters have been remarkable this season, when you think what we''ve had to endure.

[/quote]

Totally agree, give us something to get behind and the fans will chant, sing and clap their way through 90 minutes.

I thought lot of nervous tension was evident in the sell-out crowd....

People are beginning to realise that the unthinkable is perhaps, probable.....

I know this has been covered before but it seems the stewards do not want a good atmosphere at Carrow Road. I sit in the lower Barclay and all i get told to do is " Can you sit down please ". I have ignored this on numerous occasions and get told that if i dont sit down i will be ejected from the ground. However away fans can stand the whole game and sing. No wonder why the atmosphere had died in recent years. In our precarious position we need everyone standing and singing as loud as possible. If its a Health and safety issue then why do away fans stand all game? Are there no seats in that section or something. Absolute Joke!!!!!!

When well over half your team phone in their performances for a crucial game it''s rather difficult to get things going in the crowd. As many have noted we need something to actually support. Yesterday''s abject surrender wasn''t it.

Yes, it was quiet yesterday, and agreed with some other points that a few surging runs forward and a few chances on goal often add to the crowd in general singing. Sadly there was little sustained singing and what there was (again am only speaking of the area I was in) the general mood was nerves and resignation of our fate. Amazingly enough three of us started off quite a few songs and kept them going for a few minutes but it was clear that most around us were going to stay quiet.

Added to that we had to contend with a few abusing various players (in my area this was mostly Lappin, Croft and Betrand). If I am with the loudest voices or eternal optimists I don''t know but up where I am singing away my nerves are nothing like as bad as when I was sitting half way up the stand a few years back. This is a very personal opinion, but for me I can''t see the point in sitting there waiting for something bad to happen. Games like yesterday are exactly the occasions when I feel it''s more important than anything to give my support. I can''t speak today - and can''t say I enjoyed the game yesterday, but felt at least I had done all I could to support the team. Though in the cold light of reality now it seems that a good few fans (and maybe the team) have accepted our fate.

As I said before I normally defend the fans, but on this occassion I cannot, yes the team played badly, even more reason to get behind them in my book. We only have two more home games to make a difference, unless of course you have all thrown in the towel........

Two reasons why the atmosphere was so bad yesterday -

Norwich were poor and never looked like winning!

And yes I know I may get slated for saying this but I always feel that when its very sunny the grounds most vociferous areas the Barclay lower and the snake pit are looking directly into the sun and this tends to kill the atmosphere because the constant strain of the sun beating down on fans makes them much less likely to consume energy creating an atmosphere - Sounds lightweight but I sit in the Barclay lower so know whats its like and it does have a big effect on atmosphere - No coincidence that night time games create more atmosphere!

There''s only so much ''the 12th man'' can do.

Yesterday was a prime example. Sell-out crowd. First 15-20 minutes- superb vocal backing, as you''d expect for a big game. Problem was though, for such a big game, the players produced a whimper in 2 respects- 1. the quality of our performance was very poor, but even worse was 2. none of them seemed to care.

A combo of the both hasn''t happened under Gunny yet, and that was why yesterday was so worrying.

Lastly I''ll say this- we back our club. 24,000 of us week after week back our club. Personally, I think that''s support enough, regardless of loud we are.

Maybe it''s because nobody sings songs properly any more.  Every song seems to be sung at double speed so words and verses just merge in with each into an uniterpretable mess.  Yellow army is yarmyyarmyyarmy.  There''s no time for people to get NCFC inbetween Bryan Gunn''s g&y army etc.  I''m not having a go or meaning to sound like a dinosar as our young support is fantastic but maybe there are so many kids in the Barclay that people have forgotten how to sing songs traditionally.  Slow, loud, proud and with passion, not like a bunch of people about to wet themselves with excitement.  People I know no longer even bother trying to sing because the pace just gets ridiculous meaning people get out of breath or the song becomes a mess and so just give up.  Can anybody really says there are other teams who sing as quickly as we do?  OTBC used to be a slow song and now the last three lines almost merge into one.  Same as Oh when the Greens, the build up is slow for a whole ten seconds then after three choruses it ends.  I know we move with the times but I feel many of our songs are being well and truly spoilt.  OTBC

I can''t help but agree with you Yarmouthyellow1 re the speed of some of the songs. Especially OTBC. Things move in cycles and perhaps they will get slower again in time. My favourite "We are Norwich, CR" is still sung at the original pace, and has become more popular lately.....However the age thing is not necessarily the reason. There aren''t many kids near me (and a lot of the songs get started up near me), it''s largely a 30 something area if you had to generalise.

Of course there are a few old codgers and old dears (like me and that old Nutty Nigel) but at a guess would say the kids you mention are either nearer the front or further to the centre.

Oh when the greens was my favourite song from the old terracing days. It went through 2 choruses slowly then at the end of the 2nd chorus it got quicker and when it kicked in, everybody skirmished forward and going mental. Those were the days. Sadly never to be seen again.

The atmosphere will never be like it was back then as you had all the singers all congregated together in the centre pen.

[quote user="Merry Mawkin"]

Oh when the greens was my favourite song from the old terracing days. It went through 2 choruses slowly then at the end of the 2nd chorus it got quicker and when it kicked in, everybody skirmished forward and going mental. Those were the days. Sadly never to be seen again.

The atmosphere will never be like it was back then as you had all the singers all congregated together in the centre pen.

[/quote]yep...great place to be in///

Gazza, you''re right, it probably is unfair of me to suggest it might be the younger support getting carried away and speeding things up too much.  Maybe those of us who remember how the songs used to be sung should make a concerted effort to try and influence a change by slowing things down a bit in our respective areas or starting songs at a slower pace in the hope that they might be kept slow.  Or is it just a case of accepting that those days of singing songs traditionally are gone with many other aspects of the supporting experience.  I sometimes wonder what away fans must think of our singing.  Okay so on a good day, Carrow Road can produce an excellent atmosphere but songs are always in short bursts and it''s hard to believe anybody not a home supporter would even be able to understand what is being sung sometimes.  Songs are meant to be an affirmation of pride in the club and to that extent, I want the away fans to hear what we''re singing, I want them to hear the words and I want it to be sustained but I just can''t see how that can happen the way sungs are song now.  Look at Portsmouth, they keep songs going for ages, could they do that if singing and clapping at the speed we do?  I wonder if part of the problem may also be from the exodus (many years ago now!) of Barclay occupants to the Snake Pit and so with it many of the people who could influence how songs were sung and maybe those in the Snake Pit are too few to influence the singing in the wider Barclay.  This isn''t ''bigging up'' the Snake Pit by the way (I sit in Barclay block D myself) or intended to start a Barclay v Snake Pit argument, but just my thoughts/observations. OTBC 

Lots of good points made here.Personally I would love to see OTBC restored to its former glory. The speeded up version is bloody awful.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Lots of good points made here.Personally I would love to see OTBC restored to its former glory. The speeded up version is bloody awful.

[/quote]

Ain''t that the truth!