Sign in to follow this  
Road to Nowhere

Shackell or Stefanovic?

With the way Shacks has been playing recently, and alot of people (including Huckerby) stating he is the main reason our recent form has been better, how hard should we be trying to keep him next year?

In the few games Dejan played for us I thought he looked quality and a calming influence at the back. With Doherty in good form and seemingly undroppable currently it will be interesting to see what may happen.

This obviously depends on a few things - i.e. what division we are in / if Wolves want to sell Shacks / if we can afford him / if Dejan is going to play again at all etc. -  but who would you prefer?

We can, hopefully, have both. Shacks has done really well since coming back, but Steffy''s experience and leadership qualities have been sorely missed for much of the season. The key is how well he comes back from injury because his age is against him.

I would definitley go for Doherty and Shackell. I was unconvinced when Shackell was brought back in because he and Doherty had never gelled in the past, but the two of them have been immense of late. Who plays next season depends on what divison we are in - if we go down, there is no chance of Shackell coming back again.

Shacks at the moment.

Stef has a bit more quality with the ball and defended very well in a couple of games but other times he switched off and he can''t run at all.

agreed .... a bit of a brainless move " lets sell our best defender to a rival and bring in someone whos close to retirement ..

and injury prone , not being funny was roeder working for ipswich under cover

[quote user="we8wba"]shackell wont be great defender until he learn to use his right foot instead being solely left footed[/quote]You''re on the wrong thread mate, the "thick and dim" one is the next one down! [:D]

Heres one for you - who would like to see Shacks AND Stefanovic playing together?

I am not saying anything about the Doc by the way but think they could work well together.

What is this about Shacks and Doc not gelling in the past? We went on an unbeaten run of 13 games under Roeder last season with those two at the back and it''s no coincidence that things are improving big time defensively since they have been back together again recently. Their record is there for all to see.

Dejan was a quality player and is cool under preasure but he lacks pace. Some of the other pretenders we have toyed with in the last season and a half were quite frankly second class - Kennedy was liable to make one catastrophic error per game and Pearce''s heading ability was hopeless for a centre half. Re-uniting Docs and Shacks was Gunn''s finest move and could prove decisive in the battle ahead.

For all those on here who moaned when Shacks was brought back, and there were several, I''ll just point out 3 clean sheets in the last 4 games!

i quite like having a left/right foot balance through the team, a lot of it depends on how Dejan can recover from his injury, it''s very difficult at his age to come back as strong as before

Obviously I''d like to see Dejan back in, but how can you drop either Shax or Doc?And I think the main reason Shax has been a revelation is because he''s had the opportunity to train week in-week out with quality coaches and fellow defenders, something that he hasn''t always had here........

[quote user="we8wba"]shackell wont be great defender until he learn to use his right foot instead being solely left footed[/quote]Does that make Ashley Cole a bad player then?

Stefanovic is more classy than Shacks with the ball at his feet but isn''t as good a stopper as Shacks which is the first job of a CB!

Shacks has been outstanding since he came back on loan and we should resign him should we get the chance which wil be likely if Wolves get promoted!

I said on here last year that people slagging of Shacks and the Doc were idiots cause both of them are good stoppers and you''d struggle to find better in the Championship!

The biggest atribute both of them lack are an ability to score goals like a Martin Taylor or Malky Mackay!

Hopefully Stefanovic will come back next season to ensure that the Doc and Shack are kept on their toes! 

I think Stefanovic would be good alongside Shacks - you want players that are good in the air at set pieces Doherty wins them but should do better, Stefanovic looked like he was going to score from a set play - he knew how to attack it.If we can stay up and hold on to most of this squad then I can see us doing a lot better. Gow is a must because he holds the ball up well and has the ability to take players on if there is no other option.But it all comes down to now - to me there is no point talking about next season until we know which league we will be in because if we go down I shouldn''t imagine that we will be getting many players in. Will Gow or Mooney want to play in the div bellow? Shacks is unlikely to as is Bertrand or Carney.

[quote user="singing canary"]

idiot roeder should have never sold him on transfer deadline day .

this move was suicide .

im just pleased we have him back .

[/quote]Weren''t you all saying that this was a good idea to sell shacks on not long ago :S

stefanovic is a far better player with the bal;l at his feet, and his positional play is better.shackell isnt as good positionally, or with his feet, but his speed does help him catch up with play after he has lost out.shacks is a good tackler as well. i still maintain he would make a good left back.on that basis id rather have a combo of shacks on the left, stefo and doc in the centre.i prefer stefanovic due to his experience and cultured approach.

whatever happens, i really dont think we should be trying to take shackell back. it didn''t exactly cause an outrage when he left - we can do better. we need to do better. the shackell doherty partnership simply isn''t good enough to take us into the top half of the table. we need to buy at least one solid, honest centre half in his 20''s who has the hunger and passion that we all demand. accepting the doherty shackell partnership as sufficient is just wrong. we have to demand more out of our summer recruitment drive, particularly in relation to defenders, than we have seen in any of the last 3-4 seasons.

I think generally Dejan is probably the better defender, however his lack of pace will always be a problem is place beside an equally slow central defender, for example Doherty. Thing is, it''s hard to drop Doherty as he is a very solid defender. Shackell has a bit of pace, enough for most situations in the championship anyway. I''d like to see Dejan play in the centre for us again, but alongside shacks i can''t see two very-left-footed players playing in the centre as being ideal.

The amount of Sh*te people put on here about the Doc and Shack never cease to amaze me!

The Doc is one of the quickest players at our club - see him outpace Earnshaw recently!

Hes also one of our best players!

Shacks has been outstanding since he came back and has got a good understanding with the Doc who according to many on here can''t play together!

Shacks is a good stopper though hes not a cultured footballer. Hes also not a LB!

Yes Shacks is very one footed but every pro game I go to I shake my head in disbelief at the amount of one footed players in the game when you consider they kick a ball 5 days a week!

To single out Shacks for being one footed is unfair!

Stefanovic isn''t as good a defender as Doc and Shacks though he can play the ball about better. I''d be surprised if Stefanovic ever recovers well enough to be a force at this level again considering his age!

We saw this year with Kennedy who Roedernowhere rated as the best defender hes ever worked with that the grass isn''t greener!

I understood why we sold Shackell cause I don''t think hes worth £1M but I know for a fact we are better of now hes back and playing with anothr good CB in the Doc!

[quote user="bleach"]whatever happens, i really dont think we should be trying to take shackell back. it didn''t exactly cause an outrage when he left - we can do better. we need to do better. the shackell doherty partnership simply isn''t good enough to take us into the top half of the table. we need to buy at least one solid, honest centre half in his 20''s who has the hunger and passion that we all demand. accepting the doherty shackell partnership as sufficient is just wrong. we have to demand more out of our summer recruitment drive, particularly in relation to defenders, than we have seen in any of the last 3-4 seasons.[/quote]It didn''t cause an outrage because the sum we got for him was in the region of £1million although at the time we were lead to believe it was at least £1million. And to be honest a lot of people would probably argue that he still is not worth that much money.

dunno about now, but at the start of the sason, Stefanovic looked Prem Class, and still looked fit as if he was late 20''s. I was gutted when he got injured, i think he''s been our biggest loss this season, although i still blame this league position on our lack of ambition with strikers recently. Does the board not understand that we do well with them, (Ashton, Bellamy, Earnshaw, McKenzie, Sutton, Ekoku, Robins, O''Neill even Brown ffs!)

Both for me;  stef does have quality but there must be  a huge question mark over how effective he will be recovering from this type of injury at his age.  We desperately need more centre back options so a signing is needed.  Would shacks want a permanent move back here?