Sign in to follow this  
shortfatb

Result and performance suggests we are going down

I try and be positive about our chances in the Prem but I believe that our chances of staying up took a body blow on Saturday, not just because we didn''t win but the reasons for defeat.

Blackburn, table position would suggest, are a poor team, but the majority of their subs bench would have been starting for City. I thought that at times they played as well as Villa, Portsmouth, Everton and certainly Palace played at Carrow Road this season, and whilst we allowed them to on occasions, there was still quality in the side that we do not have.

Secondly, Huckerby on the wing is an attacking but high risk option with Drury just back from injury and a 50-50 chance on Friday. In addition they dealt with Hucks quite well, he wasn''t on top form and Stephen Reid is no mug. Huckerby made no effort to track back, at best adopting the Llewelyn ''running alongside the opponent'' tactic which is next to useless.

To compound this, Jonson tried but once again showed poor form again playing behind Edworthy more than in front of him, but offering neither a defending nor attacking option.

So in effect we had no protection for either full back.

Henderson is not a winger, he''s a central attacker, McKenzie and Sven were excellent, but Worthy took Leon off. 2 really poor tactical decisions.

Holt and Francis were good as was Green, but for the first time this season Fleming had a total mare and Charlton was little better both defending and passing out of defence. When they were down to one attacker why didn''t they both stay on Dickov if they were struggling so badly on their own?

So, summing up, still no wins, Birmingham won at Liverpool where we trounced and I thought they were in free fall prior to this result. Blackburn lacked confidence but still had more class than us, even with 10 men.

Our front men didn''t let us down, but as a team we were tactically inept and now I don''t know if we need a striker, a competent playmaker or a quick centre half in January. Patently Worthy was naive at best and our tactics inept before and after scoring. Saturday was our lucky day and we blew it.

I believe we''ll win games but we are back to last seasons team plus Charlton ( minus Malky) and we do not have the quality or the tactical nous to stay up. Just the work rate.

Good summary shortfab - I am astounded that Fleming is getting rave reviews this morning as he was poor on sat and the cause of the public falling out with Charlie.

I do disagree about Jonson who I thought had a solid game on sat, nothing great about it, but better than most - he beat his man on sat, is firm in the tackle and and one of only 4 efforts on goal. He works very hard defensively and has saved Eddies skin on far too many occassions. Your comment about him being deeper than Eddie says more about Eddie positioning than it does Jonsons.

Too many players played out of position and because of their effort rather than ability makes it impossible for this side to do as well as it should.

OTBC

I absolutely agree - It is difficult to identify one worse side than us ,never mind three . Not surprising as a failure to buy wisely has left us with the same team that went up who we knew were not good enough to stay up. It is a fact that half a dozen Championship sides have a better strike force than we have today - i can see no way out i''m afraid . We have lived on spirit and fight but the confidence is leaving the team and even Worthington had no answers on saturday night ( he even asked Roy Waller if he had any ideas !! ). Prepare for a very long season .

Results and performances suggest we MAY be candidates for relegation.And anyone who didn''t already know that was kidding themselves.It IS going to be a long hard season, but we knew that in May, didn''t we?