Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Doncaster's simplified accounts for 2007-08

Some of the figures in the breakdown seem extravagent in the extreme. I like the way the Doomster presents off-field expenditure as essential leaving a pittance for the playing squad. I always thought that as a football club the playing expenses were top priority and the overheads are controlled to a level commensurate with the income net of playing expenses. Are Burnley and the like spending £800K + per annum on travel, medical costs etc?

[quote user="crafty canary"]Some of the figures in the breakdown seem extravagent in the extreme. I like the way the Doomster presents off-field expenditure as essential leaving a pittance for the playing squad. I always thought that as a football club the playing expenses were top priority and the overheads are controlled to a level commensurate with the income net of playing expenses. Are Burnley and the like spending £800K + per annum on travel, medical costs etc?[/quote]

In a way you''re right Crafty. It could be said that this approach betrays the clubs'' current way of thinking - bit of a seige mentality crying out for expansive, confident leadership if you ask me.

But on the other hand it does set out the income and expenditure elements in a fairly useful and informative way.  One thing this sort of additional information does do is challenge supporters towards a more facts-based  analysis and discussion.

It''s a good start, and more detail would certainly aid discussion and debate.

However, in these rather dark days for our club one must give thanks for small mercies!

OTBC

For once I agree with BBB;  it seems a good way to present the allocation of money going in and out of the club.   Footballers and the management team account for nearly 75% of "normal" day to day income, about 60% of all income including transfer profit - is that a pittance proportion?  How do we stack up with other clubs?

And clarity that there was a £2m profit on transfer fees alone.

The next two biggest expenditures are the running costs of the club (just over £3.5m on training, stadium, academy and policing facilities and ''infrastructure'' of HR accounts marketing etc) and the interest and depreciation. 

Are there "savings" to be had in these figures?  You are looking at a grand total of £3.5m (the interest and depreciation figures are unlikely to change much in the immediate future) much of which activity needs to happen. Even if a third of that activity is slashed/termed as waste isnt that only an extra £1m or so for the benefit of the ''team''

While no financial expert there does not seem to be a whole load of room for maneouvre here - and I am aware that these are P&L and not the cash position which may benefit from a similar ''expose''