Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Drew Carey Pursues The Barcelona Approach

Drew Carey, an American comedian, got interested in soccer ( his word ) and became a co-owner of the Seattle Sounders. After going over to meet some of the Barcelona folks and gaining an understanding of their ownership/voting rights he is trying to bring that concept to the USA. Is it really that simple? I have added the shortcut for anyone that''s interested. If it can be transplanted to Seattle ( with similar fan attendance as Norwich ) then is there any reason why it can''t be done for our club?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/2009-03-17-seattle-expansion_N.htm

just looking through the ''mls history in pictures''. ergh, what a plastic league.

Yes, they do Astrodyne. It''s also true of a number of other Spanish clubs. I will include a shortcut here to an article that speaks to that as well as variations on the theme with some German clubs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/dec/20/europeanfootball.sport

There has been a fair amount of dialogue on this forum regarding the Barcelona model, which is controlled and voted upon by the 102,000 members. I sent out the Seattle article to illustrate that, if an American club can look at and at least begin the process of giving the fans a bigger say in how their club is managed, perhaps the information can be thrust more into the Norfolk media for awareness of what is possible with a can do attitude.  

In theory it''s a great idea Yankee, and one I would support if it were to happen at NCFC. However, as we all know, some fans are bigger than others, and would the two who hold over 50% of the shares currently be willing for the Barcelona type set up to even be talked about, let alone the whole ethos and structure put into place? Interesting and a question that could well be asked of the board in the near future.

I understand how you feel Gazza but the will of the people, historically speaking, is a powerful thing. Movements of conviction and purpose rarely are successful as a result of asking permission. The question I would ask is do you think the will of Norwich City fans to do what it takes to call for, and do what it takes to fund such an approach, is adopted in any future ownership approach? Perhaps another way of embellishing such a question is to ask whether one believes that will is as strong as the will of the Barcelona fans if an entrepeneur tried to wrestle control back into the hands of an individual.  

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Drew Careys the fat bloke isnt he?

jas :)

[/quote]

Yes, similar body type to Mike Ashley, except that he can cover the 100 yard dash in about 5 minutes less time.