Sign in to follow this  
carrotroad

Should we keep Gunn as boss even if we get relegated???

He deserves a crack at the summer and sorting the squad out before any decisions are made.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Fairs fair, if he keeps us up he deserves a shot, however if not...........................[:(][/quote]

If he keeps us up how long will he desrve a shot for Wiz? Will defeats in a couple of pre-season friendlies be enough for you to say he has to go, or will he get half a dozen league games.

For what it''s worth I think he will move aside in the summer whatever happens.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Fairs fair, if he keeps us up he deserves a shot, however if not...........................[:(][/quote]

If he keeps us up how long will he desrve a shot for Wiz? Will defeats in a couple of pre-season friendlies be enough for you to say he has to go, or will he get half a dozen league games.

[/quote]

12 league games Nutty..........okay?

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

12 league games Nutty..........okay?

[/quote]

Now I hope I''m wrong about him stepping aside just to see if you can contain yourself for 12 games if we aren''t top of the league[;)]

getting in a manager with a previous good record can often not count for anything. look at billy davies at forest, or jewell in his time at derby. Ince won''t want to go for this job again after the board opting for gunny over him. what i would suggest is, fans of norwich city  should forget that gunny was the sheriff of norwich, the marketing manager etc... it doesn''t matter. What does matter is that we have someone at the helm of this fine club who understands the way we play our football, our tradition and fans. Someone who knows the youngsters in the youth set up and has good connections in the game. there is no other manager (in our reach) who fits the bill. This is what norwich need even if we go down. yes he has no other previous experience but every manager has to start somewhere. - Gunn has so far started pretty well in a position that is grave... problem is many norwich fans (sadly) only ever see the grass in the other fields :-) 

[quote user="The Chirp"]getting in a manager with a previous good record can often not count for anything. look at billy davies at forest, or jewell in his time at derby. Ince won''t want to go for this job again after the board opting for gunny over him. what i would suggest is, fans of norwich city  should forget that gunny was the sheriff of norwich, the marketing manager etc... it doesn''t matter. What does matter is that we have someone at the helm of this fine club who understands the way we play our football, our tradition and fans. Someone who knows the youngsters in the youth set up and has good connections in the game. there is no other manager (in our reach) who fits the bill. This is what norwich need even if we go down. yes he has no other previous experience but every manager has to start somewhere. - Gunn has so far started pretty well in a position that is grave... problem is many norwich fans (sadly) only ever see the grass in the other fields :-)  [/quote]I think The Chirp has pinpointed the crux of ''what makes a good manager''. This would explain why some unheard managers prove very successful, and then move from that successful tenureship to one that is an absolute disaster - Mike Walker and Everton springs to mind. He knew the club, its football and its youngsters - and managed to bring great success. He moved to a completely new start with virtually a blank canvas - and failed terribly. Football is littered with such move unfortunately.

if Gunny keeps us up or we go down fighting on the lasst day then why not keep him on? we could do a hell of a lot worse....

for all those bleating about Adie Boothroyd consider this... many teams have fired their manager this season... not just us.. none of those clubs have hired Adie Boothroyd as manager.....

i''ll leave others to think as to why that might be.. but it could have something to do with him being a 1 season wonder and onee of the most over rated managers in English football.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if Gunny keeps us up or we go down fighting on the lasst day then why not keep him on? we could do a hell of a lot worse....

for all those bleating about Adie Boothroyd consider this... many teams have fired their manager this season... not just us.. none of those clubs have hired Adie Boothroyd as manager.....

i''ll leave others to think as to why that might be.. but it could have something to do with him being a 1 season wonder and onee of the most over rated managers in English football.

[/quote]

Yet again Jas, you show that what you know about football and management you could write on the back of a postage stamp. 

Boothroyd''s a class act and has a lot more to offer and I''ll wager you he''s much more than a one season wonder. 

More to the point, Watford was Boothroyd''s first management job.  Didn''t do a bad job in most people''s opinion and has since come out and said he learned loads from his time at Watford but that he wants some time out in order to address what he describes as his own short comings in his Premiership season.

Under different circumstances, I''d be very happy to see Boothroyd at Norwich - as it is, I''ll stick with Gunn, Crook and Butterworth until at least Christmas next season, whichever division we''re in.

really.. the same Adie Boothroyd that took someone elses team up before dismantling it and taking it down.. the same Adie Boothroyd who sold his best players, the same Adie Boothroyd who has dumped Watford well and truly in another relegation battle from which they might not recover under the new manager...

i suppose you think Gary "3 relegations" Megson is a good manager too?

if what i know about football can be written on a stamnp then what you know can be written on the tip of a toothpick..

theres an old saying in football "the only good manager is the one in work" Dole Que Boothroyd clearly isn''t one of them is he?

Yes, that Aidy Boothroyd. The guy who kept Watford in the Championship after joining the club part way through a disastrous season, got them promoted the following season, had a good crack at the Premiership and then got them in the play-offs the following season. Not to mention a good FA Cup run.

I also remember things a little differently in terms of player acquisition and disposal.  He brought in Daius Henderson, Marlon King, a certain Malkay Mackay to name a few.... a few signings didn''t work out... but the reason for the ''fire sale'' of players was (as I remember it) exactly that, a fire sale due to Watford almost going bust.

I''m the first to admit how little I really know about football, equally, I don''t speak emotional garbage as though I''m some sort of authority on the subject.

longer term picture required though i think.  we can''t carry on sacking off managers... gunny needs a chance. he reallly needs some financial backing too! quick point on Adi Boothroyd, not wanting to take sides or anything but i think Adi did a good job at watford, he had his hands tied on the sales the club had to make and the team he took over were doing their upmost to get relegated it seemed. He saved them, added one or two names and got them promoted. he''s a manager with potential and will be in the prem again i have no doubt... very likely through taking a team of watford ilk up again.I still stand by gunny. Like someone said, Gunny is like mike walker... walker was backroom staff, a keeper and hadn''t managed before... all of a sudden he was first team manager of a prem team... he knew the youngsters the area the people... how it all ticked... same as gunny. prob for gunny is that we are in a precarious position and in dire need of money and more playerts on full time contracts.

I agree Gunny till xmas regardless of which league we are in , there is no guarentee anyone else could do better with the limited funds available and he does have the knowledge of the club plus the respect of the fans in his favour

[quote user="The Chirp"]longer term picture required though i think.  we can''t carry on sacking off managers... gunny needs a chance. he reallly needs some financial backing too!

quick point on Adi Boothroyd, not wanting to take sides or anything but i think Adi did a good job at watford, he had his hands tied on the sales the club had to make and the team he took over were doing their upmost to get relegated it seemed. He saved them, added one or two names and got them promoted.

he''s a manager with potential and will be in the prem again i have no doubt... very likely through taking a team of watford ilk up again.

I still stand by gunny.

Like someone said, Gunny is like mike walker... walker was backroom staff, a keeper and hadn''t managed before... all of a sudden he was first team manager of a prem team... he knew the youngsters the area the people... how it all ticked... same as gunny.

prob for gunny is that we are in a precarious position and in dire need of money and more playerts on full time contracts.
[/quote]

True, but there was no Smith & Doncaster back then was there? [^o)]