Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Hucks coming back!

A preseason article in today''s paper listed the main star player for each of our (Houston Dynamo) opponents, and for SJ, is was Darren Huckerby.  Since we (NCFC) have no chance for anything this season, I hope Huckerby stays with SJ for long enough for me and my boys to go see him one more time.

However, I do hope he comes back to Norwich after that, on time for next season.  I believe Gunn has found the right mix of players, styles and attitudes to keep us out of relegation.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]i don''t like the idea too much, i idolised Hucks whilst he was here but come on, if he''s coming back in January he''s going to be nearly 34 and well, well past his best.[/quote]

Something we''ve lacked for large chunks of this season is committment and someone to lead by example.

For the feel-good factor alone, I''d welcome him back.  Even if he''s only an impact player who comes on with 20mins to go to run at players, I''m in. 

[quote user="LeedsYellow"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]i don''t like the idea too much, i idolised Hucks whilst he was here but come on, if he''s coming back in January he''s going to be nearly 34 and well, well past his best.[/quote]

Something we''ve lacked for large chunks of this season is committment and someone to lead by example.

For the feel-good factor alone, I''d welcome him back.  Even if he''s only an impact player who comes on with 20mins to go to run at players, I''m in. 

[/quote]

what impact will he have if he doesn''t have the pace?

I hope so cause releasing him was one of the worst micalculations since Beechings ripped up loads of railway line that we could do with now!

I''m convinced that Hucks if he had been with us this season he would of been our main attacking outlet and we''d be about 5-10 pts better of!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Trust me.

Done deal[Y]

[/quote]

Now young man, dare I ask how you know? [:D]

[/quote]

Trust me Babes, even Archant are running with it now![;)]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]As of now, he still does have what it takes, so why not?[/quote]Because he definitely unbalances a team when playing left midfield. He''s amazing going forward, but I got so fed up watching a (not brilliant) Drury getting exposed again and again on our left flank. The few times we played without Huckerby we seemed to play as a far more cohesive side. IF he could be persuaded to play as an out and out striker without drifting left as he always did, then I''d welcome him back for a season.As a midfielder I doubt he''d still have the pace, and he''s no Sherringham that you could play at the head of a diamondThe old chestnut of dressing room disruption (wages) could also raise its head again which Roeder solved by making a difficult and un popular decision, so I''d be surprised to see him come back for footballing reasins. More likely a misguided attempt at appeasment by the board.

Sorry, but this would be a huge mistake. If we were planning to sign a 33 year old with no defensive qualities and a questionable injury record who wasn''t called Darren Huckerby this forum would (justifiably) be aflame with indignation. He was a legend, but its time to move on people.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="LeedsYellow"]

[/quote]

what impact will he have if he doesn''t have the pace?

[/quote]People forget that Zola was never the fastest of players even in his prime - what got him ahead of players was his ability to change direction and speed quickly and the skill to get past a player which gave him a head start. In my eyes Huckerby has these attributes and also the ability to play-make.Now I rate Hoolahan as well but I identify two problems with Hoolahan - he hasn''t got the searing pace that Huckerby had when he played for us and he isn''t as strong either. However the main issue is when there is no Hoolahan we have no one else of that ilk to call upon. For me it all comes down to how much money we would have to pay Huckerby to play and who departs for pastures new in the summer. As it stands we may be down to only Hoolahan as a wide player come the summer with Patty out of favour and Croft out of contract.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Trust me.

Done deal[Y]

[/quote]

Now young man, dare I ask how you know? [:D]

[/quote]

Trust me Babes, even Archant are running with it now![;)]

[/quote]

I trust you mate, just curiosity gets the better of me and I am snouty and want to know how you found out, ignore me hehehehehe

[quote user="chicken"]People forget that Zola was never the fastest of players even in his prime - what got him ahead of players was his ability to change direction and speed quickly and the skill to get past a player which gave him a head start. In my eyes Huckerby has these attributes and also the ability to play-make.[/quote]Comparing Huckerby with Zola????? Not the same type of player at all. Zola was an old style "number 10", quick of mind and feet, plus he had the touch of a God. Huckerby was just very, very fast and direct. His game relied on dribbling at speed. He''s not a playmaker at all. Huckerby''s not the type to be playing through balls, or dictating the pace of the game by dropping off and receiving the ball to feet, passing and moving. I''d like to see him back here as an impact player, but to suggest he can change his game? I don''t think so.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="chicken"]

People forget that Zola was never the fastest of players even in his prime - what got him ahead of players was his ability to change direction and speed quickly and the skill to get past a player which gave him a head start. In my eyes Huckerby has these attributes and also the ability to play-make.

[/quote]

Comparing Huckerby with Zola????? Not the same type of player at all. Zola was an old style "number 10", quick of mind and feet, plus he had the touch of a God. Huckerby was just very, very fast and direct. His game relied on dribbling at speed. He''s not a playmaker at all.

Huckerby''s not the type to be playing through balls, or dictating the pace of the game by dropping off and receiving the ball to feet, passing and moving. I''d like to see him back here as an impact player, but to suggest he can change his game? I don''t think so.
[/quote]

I find it odd that posters on here can accept a 39 year old Dublin, but not a 34 year old Hucks who keeps himself just as fit.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I find it odd that posters on here can accept a 39 year old Dublin, but not a 34 year old Hucks who keeps himself just as fit.

[/quote][Y] Well said Wiz- as for your rumour god help you if you''re wrong

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="chicken"]People forget that Zola was never the fastest of players even in his prime - what got him ahead of players was his ability to change direction and speed quickly and the skill to get past a player which gave him a head start. In my eyes Huckerby has these attributes and also the ability to play-make.[/quote]Comparing Huckerby with Zola????? Not the same type of player at all. Zola was an old style "number 10", quick of mind and feet, plus he had the touch of a God. Huckerby was just very, very fast and direct. His game relied on dribbling at speed. He''s not a playmaker at all. Huckerby''s not the type to be playing through balls, or dictating the pace of the game by dropping off and receiving the ball to feet, passing and moving. I''d like to see him back here as an impact player, but to suggest he can change his game? I don''t think so.[/quote]

[/quote]Dublin is a totally differenty type of player though Wiz. Hucks game was based around pace which invariably goes after awhile, Dublin was based around strength. And Dion was not 39 whne we signed him.

[quote user="IBA"][quote user="Houston Canary"]As of now, he still does have what it takes, so why not?[/quote]

Because he definitely unbalances a team when playing left midfield. He''s amazing going forward, but I got so fed up watching a (not brilliant) Drury getting exposed again and again on our left flank. The few times we played without Huckerby we seemed to play as a far more cohesive side. IF he could be persuaded to play as an out and out striker without drifting left as he always did, then I''d welcome him back for a season.

As a midfielder I doubt he''d still have the pace, and he''s no Sherringham that you could play at the head of a diamond

The old chestnut of dressing room disruption (wages) could also raise its head again which Roeder solved by making a difficult and un popular decision, so I''d be surprised to see him come back for footballing reasins. More likely a misguided attempt at appeasment by the board.
[/quote]

The money is certainly not an issue for Hucks and he wouldn''t cost us a signing fee so in the current financial situation it is a no brainer. He has always looked after himself and should be able to play at this level for 2 more seasons barring injury. He would walk into most other championship teams wouldn''t he?

NO! YOU CAN''T HAVE HIM! HE''S OURS! =PBut really, if Darren could go back to Norwich and end his career with the club he loves most, then I''d support it. On the other side, I want him to have a great year for my Quakes this season and if that doesn''t happen because he''s thinking about a move back home then I''ll be upset. I don''t believe he''ll ever be able to go back and play for Norwich though to be quite honest...

We shall see what happens. I''d want a younger player with great potential more than a 33 year old who was released by the same club a couple years prior.

Maybe coming in as the ''veteran striker''... we know he can finish. Wouldn''t bode well for Cureton in my eyes, though...

[quote user="Orange Crush"]Maybe coming in as the ''veteran striker''... we know he can finish. Wouldn''t bode well for Cureton in my eyes, though...[/quote]

I don''t think much of anything bodes well for Cureton these days, OC.

Norwich-proud kind of guys is what has taken over management, so I fail to see how bringing Huckerby back would be a problem in the dressing room (unless his unit is way bigger than the other players'', and they shouldn''t be checking each other out that way anyways).

On the downside, it would make the loverly ''goodbye'' ceremony obsolete. Can we afford to pay for another one?

[/quote]Well I don''t recall Dublin ever haring down the wing scaring the life out of defenders with his pace. Plus you obviously missed the part of my post where I say "I''d like to see him back here as an impact player", so accepting him ain''t really an issue for me.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Well I don''t recall Dublin ever haring down the wing scaring the life out of defenders with his pace. Plus you obviously missed the part of my post where I say "I''d like to see him back here as an impact player", so accepting him ain''t really an issue for me.
[/quote]

I seem to have wrongly quoted you somehow Mook, sorry my mistake.

But I still hold to the age thing, some players can keep their edge despite their age, Hucks is one of those players imo.