Sign in to follow this  
LORD FOXY LOWE

Extended Highlights on ITV's the Championship today

[quote user="LORD FOXY LOWE"]Extended Highlights on ITV''s the Championship today[/quote]

Great stuff, I''m glad they picked one of our better performances to show.

[quote user="Blainsey"]Can I rescind my last statement, that should have been a straight red. Appalling.[/quote]

Maybe thats just what we need. Whats going to make defenders more nervous, Alan Lee barreling down on them with his mad eyes or Carl Cort meandering towards them looking really really tall?

Im a Carl Cort fan still, though this should be looked at as ''strength in depth''. CC is inhumanly tall, AL is a total bruiser... they each bring something different to the mix.

Confident performance. Hope it continues.Lee just seemed to give as good as he got, which Birmingham didn''t like at all!

Just seen the highlights......it''s nice to see us get more than the usual 30 secs or so.

I thought Lee was very lucky not to be straight red carded. It was a clear elbow and he couldn''t have complained if he''d been sent off. It''s good to see a bit of steel in the side but it wasn''t the only time he used his elbow in the match and if he carries on doing that it won''t be long before a suspension kicks in. That said he looked a useful addition to the forward line which, at last, looks as though they will score some goals.

Regarding the Marshall '' foul '' for their goal I didn''t think it looked as bad on screen as it sounded on Radio Norfolk yesterday. As Alex McCleish said after the game Marshall probably should have punched the ball rather than try to catch it. Obviously a bloody nose proves there must have been some contact but that could have happened as the goalie lunged into Jerome before he knocked it into the net.

All in all it looks as though we''re on the right track at last.

With the head of steam we''ve built up recently it''s a pity we''ve got to wait a fortnight for the next game.

I think we were unlucky not to have won.

Our disallowed goal looked perfectly good to me. It looked as if Ridgewell played us onside, so I think the goal should have stood.

Regarding their goal I agree with Radio Norfolk it should have been ruled out. Jerome clearly jumps into marshall and it was a clear foul.

I think the ref got it right as regards to Lee. Yes, he used his elbow, but it wasn''t that bad. Certainly not worthy of that dramatic fall to the ground from Queudrue. Clearly the Birmingham defender was trying to get Lee sent off, but a yellow card was right.

We also had a good shout for a penalty from a handball.

Unlucky not to have won, but I am pleased with the point.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Just seen the highlights......it''s nice to see us get more than the usual 30 secs or so.

I thought Lee was very lucky not to be straight red carded. It was a clear elbow and he couldn''t have complained if he''d been sent off. It''s good to see a bit of steel in the side but it wasn''t the only time he used his elbow in the match and if he carries on doing that it won''t be long before a suspension kicks in. That said he looked a useful addition to the forward line which, at last, looks as though they will score some goals.

Regarding the Marshall '' foul '' for their goal I didn''t think it looked as bad on screen as it sounded on Radio Norfolk yesterday. As Alex McCleish said after the game Marshall probably should have punched the ball rather than try to catch it. Obviously a bloody nose proves there must have been some contact but that could have happened as the goalie lunged into Jerome before he knocked it into the net.

All in all it looks as though we''re on the right track at last.

With the head of steam we''ve built up recently it''s a pity we''ve got to wait a fortnight for the next game.

[/quote]

For sure it wasn''t really a foul but 9 times out of 10 the refs give a free kick in those situations. My big gripe against Carl Cort, good player though he is, was how a guy of his size would stand off and let the opposition goalkeeper catch the ball in acres of space. A big centre forward should always make his presence felt and even if a free kick is given the keeper will be wary next time. It''s the old fashoioned "let ''em know your there"! So let''s hope Lee gives us a bit of that and that the referees are as lenient in our favour on occasions.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I think we were unlucky not to have won. Our disallowed goal looked perfectly good to me. It looked as if Ridgewell played us onside, so I think the goal should have stood. [/quote]

Absolutely, just seen it on ITV and the rent-a-commentator didn''t say anything as they showed the replay of our disallowed goal which my mum could have seen was onside! And the commentator called it poor defending!

I have to say though, i thought Jerome legitimately got himself between ''keeper and ball. It was a horrible ball for Marshall to deal with and i''m not sure what he could have done but i didn''t see too much wrong with it. He got his nose bloodied after Jerome had already got to the ball from what i could see, not from the initial challenge.

I have to agree with A1 not sure there was much Marshall could do, It was a quality ball into an area where any keeper would struggle to have got anything on it. Have to admit at the time it did look a blatant foul but seeing it again I''m not so sure, but you do see them given. What was more frustrating was the the handball decision because from where we were sitting it looked so blantant and we were no further away from the incident than the referee who had a perfect view.

I did not think it was a foul on Marshall at all.  Our disallowed goal was onside and I think much of Lee''s elbowing was down to some of the treatment that he got from Birmingham. Hopefully though he will not play like that all of the time because it will be difficult picking up points with ten players, or even nine once hot-head Russell returns.  

[quote user="a1canary"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I think we were unlucky not to have won. Our disallowed goal looked perfectly good to me. It looked as if Ridgewell played us onside, so I think the goal should have stood. [/quote]

Absolutely, just seen it on ITV and the rent-a-commentator didn''t say anything as they showed the replay of our disallowed goal which my mum could have seen was onside! And the commentator called it poor defending!

I have to say though, i thought Jerome legitimately got himself between ''keeper and ball. It was a horrible ball for Marshall to deal with and i''m not sure what he could have done but i didn''t see too much wrong with it. He got his nose bloodied after Jerome had already got to the ball from what i could see, not from the initial challenge.

[/quote]Maybe, but as everyone has said, 9 times out of 10 the referee would of given a foul. How often do strikers get away with jumping into goalkeepers? Very, very rarely.I really enjoyed yesterday, but again the luck wasn''t on our side. The penalty was hand ball even if it was hard to see on the replay''s. I didn''t see a problem with our first goal at all, i couldn''t see how it was offside.

I couldn''t see annything wrong either with our disallowed goal, although ITV didn''t exactly look into it in much detail despite it being a crucial decision in the game, still a good peroformance from the boys but 3 points was there for us on another day with better refs.

nice to get a few minutes on tv...looked like we played very very well...and the support was exellent could hear the singing all the way through the highlights..AWESOME AGAIN

i dont think it was a foul on marshall..he was know were near the cross...and how was our goal offside..unfecking real...watched it over and over and over...still cant see the offside

clingan free kick...bloody awesome...more of the same lads OTBC

[quote user="mr flibble"]I think our "goal " was disallowed because of Doc fouling, not offside[/quote]oh...it said off side on th tv...didnt see a foul  either...but a point at brummy is a very very good point...unwards and upwards   OTBC

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="mr flibble"]I think our "goal " was disallowed because of Doc fouling, not offside[/quote]oh...it said off side on th tv...didnt see a foul  either...but a point at brummy is a very very good point...unwards and upwards   OTBC[/quote]

They did say it was ruled out for offside, but I did wonder whether it was for a foul (for sure it appeared that no one was offside); still, I said before the game that I''d be happy with a point and tbh it was probably more than I expected, given that Brum were on decent form.

Just watched it ..... Blimey!! I wouldn''t want to get the wrong side of  Lee! Duncan Ferguson''s long-lost younger even-more-brutal brother I reckon. After Carsley smacked him in the face (& got away with it) I imagine he thought the ref. wasn''t too bothered about a touch of, ahem, physicality, so responded accordingly. I have to say it was good to see.Agree with other posters that Marshall wasn''t fouled - he more ran onto Jerome''s trailing arm than anything. That''s when he got his nose bloodied. Marshall should probably have elected to punch the ball, but it was a good ball in, difficult to deal with.Judging by the highlights, I was pleased to see Semmy getting forward & Plastic looked his old classy self again; I''d love to see him signed permanently.Everyone looked up for the battle & you could see the makings of a decent team there. You just never know, this time next year Norwich could be just as motivated in a fight for promotion ......

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Just watched it ..... Blimey!! I wouldn''t want to get the wrong side of  Lee! Duncan Ferguson''s long-lost younger even-more-brutal brother I reckon. After Carsley smacked him in the face (& got away with it) I imagine he thought the ref. wasn''t too bothered about a touch of, ahem, physicality, so responded accordingly. I have to say it was good to see.
Agree with other posters that Marshall wasn''t fouled - he more ran onto Jerome''s trailing arm than anything. That''s when he got his nose bloodied. Marshall should probably have elected to punch the ball, but it was a good ball in, difficult to deal with.
Judging by the highlights, I was pleased to see Semmy getting forward & Plastic looked his old classy self again; I''d love to see him signed permanently.
Everyone looked up for the battle & you could see the makings of a decent team there. You just never know, this time next year Norwich could be just as motivated in a fight for promotion ......
[/quote]

Lee has real attitude ron................I love the guy already![Y]

What annoyed me was Matt Smiths smug comment at the end that birmingham will look at that as 2 points dropped! Totally ignoring that we were the better team with better chances, just because they are birmingham and they are second. They got what (maybe more) than they deserved.

The offside was when the free kick was taken, not the shot, which the TV replay didn''t show. It was marginal, but can''t complain too much. Have to agree that Marshall''s bloody nose came when he barged into Jerome after dropping the ball, not the aerial challenge. I also don''t think the handball was intentional, or gave them any undue advantage.For much of the match a neutral would have thought we were 2nd from top, not them... and, terrible support. There was a group of young lads who were doing their best to give back some noise to our fans, but the rest of the ground was not only silent, but had big gaps of empty seats.

Our disallowed goal was offside. I recorded The Chmapionship, and given the comments re this post, I freeze framed the action at the point Sammy connected with the free kick and the Doc was clearly offside when the ball was played (He started his run early and Brum held their line at the edge of the penalty area). All in all a creditable performance and a well deserved point, it is a reall bugger that we now have an international break.

I did wonder about that SoB - i was being lazy and just watching the TV replay which didn''t even show the moment Sammy took the kick. Just showed the Doc knocking it across the 6 yard line. From that Shacks was easily onside but it did occur that the Doc may have been from when the free kick was taken. Schoolboy error though to get called off from a free kick like that! It''s not as if you can''t see across the line and see the moment the ball is played because everyone is standing still!!

[quote user="a1canary"] Schoolboy error though to get called off from a free kick like that! It''s not as if you can''t see across the line and see the moment the ball is played because everyone is standing still!![/quote]

As I always said... definiteley gingerist[:O]

[;)]

You got me there nutty!

It hasn''t gone un-noticed to me also that the pairing of Doc and Shacks (which is what i always had more of a problem with than just Doc himself) is the one that is providing us with a solid foundation from which to launch our survival bid. My biggest bone was that with Doc and Shack we didn''t have a defensive leader in the back line to organise and marshall them (even if we do have a Marshall - ha ha!) in the way that Malky would always do. Making Doc captain could be a masterstroke if it gives him that role and makes him more vocal and organised.

I think there has been a Doc renaissance also this season. When i first saw him this season v Donny at home, i thought he was looking incredibly fit and really bulked up as well. He looked like Arnie! The Donny attackers were bouncing off him. So i think he''s reaping the benefits of that.

Add that to the excellent defensive coaching that i was sure the team would get from Butterworth (personally, i think he was as important an appointment as Gunn himself) and we have a much more solid looking team.

Ginger-ist? Moi!?